JKU Storage Build Out

Yuke

Adventurer
Did some more work on the drawers tonight.

Routed the edges round and got to work on the actual drawers in the box. The bottoms are dado'd into the sides and front/back. We will be using 500lb lock in and lock out slides.

Here is a shot of Nicks 4Runner setup. He will have two drawers on the bottom, and two on top of the bottom platform on the right. The fridge and slide will go on the left. I am pretty jealous of all the space the 4Runner has. My box will be roughly the same size as his upper box with two drawers.

Yuke

Adventurer
An important part of the drawers was having them sized correctly for fluids etc.

The bottom drawer will have permanent dividers installed. Then, once line-x'd it will create a watertight pocket that will isolate the spillage to that pocket alone should anything break, leak, etc.

The upper drawer will be made to accept dividers later on if desired. The dividers will be made from black walnut to match the drawer fronts.

Here the box sits prior to final assembly, line-x, and cosmetic like the the drawers face.

Yuke

Adventurer
Next came time to chose the wood for the drawer fronts. Nick @ Backwoods Overland has an amazing collection of woods at his shop. In the end we chose Black walnut for the drawer faces. I think it will look awesome once finished in a dark stain against the black line-x.

For me, it was amazing to see this lumber go from a raw slice of a lumber, to a finished board.

Yuke

Adventurer
I started the install by bolting the ARB slide to the plates. I had to drill my own holes as the built in nutserts were placed for the indel fridge slides.

Yuke

Adventurer
Here is a final mockup of the drawer system. Fresh in from the local Line-X and ready for assembly!

Here is a teaser of the Drawer fronts which are made from Black Walnut. The fronts will be stained, french polished, and then coated with a matte finish. This should give the fronts a subdued, but very three dimensional look.

After a long night of assembly and fitting the system is in!

I just need to finish the fronts and add the locks as we will be good!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke