2017 / 2018 Fuso FG4x4 Qs?

Hi,
Anyone know if the 2017 Fuso still has a one speed t-case and dual clutch gearbox? I've seen some comments in for sale ads that something changed after 2016. I went down to the local dealership this weekend and they've never even seen the 4x4 and had no info. Apparently Mitsubishi didn't sell many trucks in 2016 due to some sort of legal issue (emissions??) that forced them to ship the trucks back to Japan for modifications.

They just got their first 2017 4x2 in stock so at least I got to sit in one for a while and play with the knobs.

Any 2018 rumors? I'd like to have good high speed cruising on the flat (I'm in SoCal), so I'd rather get one with the 5.2 diff gearing and have a 2-speed t-case for the rougher stuff.

Anyone have an real world cruising speed for an EarthCruiser? What speed can you comfortable run the truck on the flat?

Thanks

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Hi,
Anyone know if the 2017 Fuso still has a one speed t-case and dual clutch gearbox? I've seen some comments in for sale ads that something changed after 2016. I went down to the local dealership this weekend and they've never even seen the 4x4 and had no info. Apparently Mitsubishi didn't sell many trucks in 2016 due to some sort of legal issue (emissions??) that forced them to ship the trucks back to Japan for modifications.

They just got their first 2017 4x2 in stock so at least I got to sit in one for a while and play with the knobs.

Any 2018 rumors? I'd like to have good high speed cruising on the flat (I'm in SoCal), so I'd rather get one with the 5.2 diff gearing and have a 2-speed t-case for the rougher stuff.

Anyone have an real world cruising speed for an EarthCruiser? What speed can you comfortable run the truck on the flat?

Thanks

Unfortunately the dealerships tend to be pretty helpless, especially with the FG. I'm not aware of any coming changes - they are talking about doing a soft launch of an electric Fuso at some point this year, but that's all I've heard about line improvements/extensions.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Haven't really heard any news about new FG's.

Every so often there's some mention of manual trans with xfer case for NA, but it's never materialized. Might also have some tie in to the major recall that's going on, come to think of it.

In my 2012 chassis with a 2016 EC FX body, a good cruising speed is 60-65. It's pretty happy there. Can get up to 70-75 without many issues, but fuel mileage really starts to suffer. EXP's are probably a bit different.

dlh62c

Explorer
You'll be lucky to find a new FG at a dealer to look at. My understanding is that their a special order, drop shipped to a dealer from a port on the west coast.

EC would know better than anyone what the model changes are since their product needs to fit on the truck and chassis. Send an email to Michelle, she should be able to help.

Driving the Duonic is more about technique, let the creep function do its thing. I doubt we'll ever see a two speed transfer case paired with a Duonic transmission.

Last edited:
I've emailed EC twice with no response, so I'm just planning on just visiting them at Overland Expo.

Czechsix, yours has the taller diff gearing right? The higher ratio diff must be crazy slow then... I'm looking for a "rough road" vehicle not a serious offroader, so I'm assuming I'll be fine with the more moderate crawl ratios of the taller gearing.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Yep, it's the tall gearset. I don't think the lower ratio is that much slower, from talking to other owners that are running that ratio they're also saying they'll run about 60-65 on the highway.

The rough road concept is exactly what I was looking for too, but it would definitely be nicer to have the lower ration. Eventually I'm planning on getting that lower ratio, but with the Duonic there are still issues that arise. Best thing for the Duonic equipped trucks, I think, is to get that lower ratio and upgrade the suspension as much as possible. Otherwise you find yourself in situations where you have to hit ledges harder than should be necessary, with the associated bounce. Not a great thing, for the truck, or the wife. :D

The other thing to note is that most of the EXP trucks seem to run lighter than the FX's. Not many of us have actually gotten curb weights on our trucks, when I did mine I found that I'm running it at 13,880#. Front axle still has extra cap, but rear is right on the edge when you regard tire ratings. Axle is still fine, it's the tires that are the limitation. If you go to the 17" wheels you'll still get better ride than the 19.5's, while having better sidewall flex, traction, etc. Maybe availability too.

We'll be at OvEx this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier