SUV tent question

02rangeredge

Adventurer
I'm looking into an suv tent while I camp out of my truck for a few months this summer, I have a cap but would prefer to leave the tailgate down to better fit the cot I'll be sleeping on. I figured the useable stand up room from the suv tent could prove useful as well as the ability to close up my cap and tailgate to create a smaller space on cold nights. But I'd be leaving the tent every day to go to work- so do suv tents close up that connection doorway (I can't find any images to prove they do)? If most don't does anyone know of a brand that do?

MzPriss

Observer
Here is a real life review of one by somebody I know. I actually purchased this tent based on her review. Yes, it does close up if you drive away.

http://currentissue.jpfreek.com/publication/?i=336250&ver=html5&p=10#{"page":10,"issue_id":336250}

02rangeredge

Adventurer
Here is a real life review of one by somebody I know. I actually purchased this tent based on her review. Yes, it does close up if you drive away.

http://currentissue.jpfreek.com/publication/?i=336250&ver=html5&p=10#{"page":10,"issue_id":336250}

thanks a ton, you said you have the tent? sith that vehicle door zipped is there exposed screen? I found a few with obvious doors but they're 85% screen and in the event it rains some while I'm gone I want to be sure that my stuff stays dry

thanks again for the help/feedback

Choff

Adventurer
We got this one for the Van , will work for SUV Also. love the workmanship of this tent, has rainfly and can drive away and zip up.
Choff

Attachments

• IMG_2631.jpg
    IMG_2631.jpg
    543.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2629.jpg
    IMG_2629.jpg
    580.9 KB · Views: 36

davis31052

Adventurer
The Napier Sports 84000 SUV tent will do exactly what you need. ***PICTURES ADDED*** The main floor is 10x10 with a small covered "porch" area straight out the rear, and a large 7 x 6 ft screen room attached to the left side. The screen room can be removed to allow for narrow camp spots.

The transition between the vehicle and the tent offers a zip up screen and or a "wall" to separate the sleeping area from the floor area. When your truck is moved away, this wall provides a level of security in that the tent is not wide open.

I was impressed with the quality of the material as well as the stitching but I'd reseal the seams and treat with camp dry or some other water repellent before use. Set up takes a bit of time by yourself, but once you've done it a few times, you develop a system. The most aggravating thing for me was the straps that hold the tent to the vehicle.

Check You Tube for a review. I know there used to be one there with a complete walk thru.

FWIW, I used a piece of "pool" noodle to cover the entire edge of my camper shell upper hatch as it rested right up against the roof of the tent.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

https://us.napieroutdoors.com/store/catalogue/details/1/2/product_id:4/

Last edited:

02rangeredge

Adventurer
The Napier Sports 84000 SUV tent will do exactly what you need. The main floor is 10x10 with a small covered "porch" area straight out the rear, and a large 7 x 6 ft screen room attached to the left side. The screen room can be removed to allow for narrow camp spots.

The transition between the vehicle and the tent offers a zip up screen and or a "wall" to separate the sleeping area from the floor area. When your truck is moved away, this wall provides a level of security in that the tent is not wide open.

I was impressed with the quality of the material as well as the stitching but I'd reseal the seams and treat with camp dry or some other water repellent before use. Set up takes a bit of time by yourself, but once you've done it a few times, you develop a system. The most aggravating thing for me was the straps that hold the tent to the vehicle.

Check You Tube for a review. I know there used to be one there with a complete walk thru.

FWIW, I used a piece of "pool" noodle to cover the entire edge of my camper shell upper hatch as it rested right up against the roof of the tent.

https://us.napieroutdoors.com/store/catalogue/details/1/2/product_id:4/

thanks, I'll look into that, and thanks for the feedback on quality, gives me a good starting point- but how are the straps falling short for you? just curious because it seems like an easy issue to fix

davis31052

Adventurer
The straps didn't fail. It was just difficult to route them up in and around the roof rack on my shell. Again, a consistent pattern would minimize time and effort. Good luck!

02rangeredge

Adventurer
thanks, your pics didn't show the first time I looked at your post, it looks to mate up to the taco well, and the strap around the tailgate looks like a PITA

davis31052

Adventurer
There is a buckle / cinch strap on each side that tightens up the tent " boot " around the vehicle. Getting it up over the back of the vehicle, depending on the size and your height are factors that play into the ease of install. Two people- easy peasy. Just one - there is a bit of back and forth. There are also straps that run up to the rear edge of the vehicle hood or roof rack that helps hold the tent in place.
Also, I failed to mention that the rain fly can be a bit difficult to get on with just one person. I finally marked it front and back, left and right and then bought an extra universal collapsible tent pole to help me position it. This tent is At least 7ft at the peak and a 10 ft foot print when set up, not counting the add on room or the porch area, so you need some reach. I never could figure out a way to leave the rain fly attached.
Again, a few times up and down before heading to the woods helps to work out a system. I found the pictures after I posted earlier.

Last edited:

02rangeredge

Adventurer
I also have the Napier 8400 tent. You diffidently want to seal the seams! I got the tent with the screen room also. Other then setting the screen room up to check it out I have not used the screen room. The tent can be set up by one person but 2 is much easier.

I used the house pipe insulation like the "pool" noodle over the lift gate.

I would recommend this as a good buy, and buy it again if I did it over.

I found that if you use rocks,stick or a marking on the ground for the tires, before you leave with the vehicle It is easier to pull the vehicle back into the same spot if you use the vehicle.

nice idea actually, hadn't thought about that process at all yet

MzPriss

Observer
The rain fly that came with mine has it clearly marked "vehicle side" so there isn't any struggle to figure out which way it goes. I had it out this weekend. It worked great. I didn't need to cinch it down all over as there was only a mild breeze. There are two straps that hooked nicely under the back doors of my Cherokee that kept it snug, I left the remainder of the straps undone. If you are going to be keeping the rainfly on, toss it over before you raise the tent up. I use a milk crate inside to step up into my vehicle....and to reach the top of my ride. It serves as a stable place in my trailer for my gas can while getting to and from.

caver06

I bough this tent (the Napier Backroadz 13100) for use with my Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner...wasn't sure if it would actually fit, since the tent is actually designed for SUV's, not trucks. My Tacoma has a camper cap/top. It works GREAT! Fits better than I expected and the only mod I made was to place a pool noodle on the edge of my cap door to protect the fabric (read that here somewhere). Definitely would recommend to anyone!! AND, I put it up all by myself, yes, including the tent fly... took me 25 minutes total the first time (had to read instructions...) but it is VERY intuitive once you get the "vehicle end" facing the right direction for the tent and the fly....The only "but" I have is that there are no storm flaps for the two windows, but the fly pretty much takes care of that, and since I am sleeping in the truck bed itself, it's not a major detractor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke