Need some HF antenna advice what mobile HF antenna to get?

I have had numerous hamsticks on my Sierra, a screwdriver and now have a variation to Alpha Moto. All were compromise antennas. I did have good luck with a 102"whip and tuner. For campsite I use a Miitary Ez antenna on a 8' painters pole with a MFJ 1979 (I think) stainless telescoping antenna. I find that works better than a dipole at low elevation.

The Alpha Moto is not a bad antenna. As you found out most mobile antenna are a compromise. The Military EZ is similar to the Shakespeare Military sectional antenna that will extend to 31 feet. Also as you have found out a vertical will outperform a low dipole at distances greater than 300 miles.

A 66 foot long dipole is good only for 10-40 meters and when mounted at less than a half wavelength above ground becomes an NVIS antenna.

One possibility is using the same screwdriver antenna mobile and base. You can adapt it to a tripod. Cut 6 wires roughly 60 feet in length, attach them to tripod, and spread them on the ground. Space them as evenly as possible. You are not looking for a resonate ground plane just looking to reduce ground losses.

If you don't want to mount on a tripod you can leave it attached to vehicle just attach ground radials to antenna mount.

binrat

Observer
H.H.
I have 2 of the Alpha matches, one on the truck, the other ready to go in my pack. In my truck I have a LDG IT100 under the back seat.The Moto tunes easily to 3.700 MHz. Last fall while camping west of Rocky Mountain House, AB I had a 3 way QSO with 10 watts on 40 metres to AR and Texas. That was with the Military Ez and longer MFJ whip.

Nomad1

Observer
I ended up making a 10/15/17/20 fan antenna still have to get out and test it but I have been reading up on long wire end fed antennas may be worth giving that a try/build

BigBamBoo

Observer
If you decide to do campsite "fixed" ops, I would recommend the antenna my good friend Budd (W3FF) "invented" and started selling and now his son Chris has taken over.

http://www.buddipole.com

They work very well and are quick and easy to set up and take up very little room when disassembled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94