Thoughts on these two for Expo rigs?

p nut

butter
Guess it depends on what type of expeditions you'll be doing? Do you need to bring that much cargo?

dlh62c

Explorer
Your getting into the commercial realm with those trucks. If you can source vehicle insurance on the bare truck and chassis, anything is possible.

zimm

Expedition Leader
for the first one, you can get same gvwr in a lighter rig. im not sure i get the point of it.

if its a "house" you want, get the lightest rig, that covers your offroad needs, for the space you want. in other words, work your way OUT. theres no point in picking a chassis THEN designing the box. you may end up with something thousands of pounds heavier than you need, or too many compromises in your box to meet maximum weight, and being dissatisfied.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
I don't know what the GVWR is on the 1st one but, in TX any way, you'd need a Class B license to simply drive #2 off the lot.

Last edited:

AFSOC

Explorer
Grab the Terrastar, mount a Bigfoot 2500 Series slide in camper and you're full time traveling by April 1st for somewhere south of $125K.
Purchase that sweet looking Workstar, add two years of hard work, copious check writing and you'll have a custom creation that's exactly what you think you want. You'll be ready to hit the road by mid-2019 and will have the rig fully sorted (or sold) by 2021.
No wrong answers, both options sound like winners.

bigskypylot

Explorer
Grab the Terrastar, mount a Bigfoot 2500 Series slide in camper and you're full time traveling by April 1st for somewhere south of $125K.
Purchase that sweet looking Workstar, add two years of hard work, copious check writing and you'll have a custom creation that's exactly what you think you want. You'll be ready to hit the road by mid-2019 and will have the rig fully sorted (or sold) by 2021.

Haha. Indeed. Things are "fluid" right now and not quite sure what I want or where I'm headed and where I'll end up.

AFSOC, I have a retired 8th SOS friend I used to fly with. Good guy!

bigskypylot

Explorer

I like the custom route a bit better but more $$$ of course

AFSOC

Explorer
AFSOC, I have a retired 8th SOS friend I used to fly with. Good guy!

Small world, I'm on the Osprey program. The 8th is one of my customers. I also grew up in Montana, son of an MSU grad.
Good luck on your decision. It's highly personal. If you aren't sure what you want an off the shelf solution is probably best. If you're convinced nobody sells exactly what you want/need, then there is no question, custom is the only answer.
For me, I must have an undiagnosed case of A.D.D. I do not have the attention span to embark on a major custom project and see it through to a functioning conclusion. I guess I lack the necessary resolve (or curse) to focus on an unwavering vision.

bigskypylot

Explorer
Small world, I'm on the Osprey program. The 8th is one of my customers. I also grew up in Montana, son of an MSU grad.
Good luck on your decision. It's highly personal. If you aren't sure what you want an off the shelf solution is probably best. If you're convinced nobody sells exactly what you want/need, then there is no question, custom is the only answer.
For me, I must have an undiagnosed case of A.D.D. I do not have the attention span to embark on a major custom project and see it through to a functioning conclusion. I guess I lack the necessary resolve (or curse) to focus on an unwavering vision.

Yes, I'm pretty ADD as well. I'm not diving in to anything right yet but just trying to figure out what's out there and what will work best for me. I'd like to pull the trigger on a GXV Turtle or extended turtle eventually. However, one of these would be pretty cool to go fulltime in. Where in Montana did you grow up? I'm from Wisconsin originally and now find myself maybe headed to Wyoming or Colorado with job but will be coming back to MT.

Here's my buddy back in '89. I'll let you figure out who his guest of honor is.

FB_IMG_1489764624299.jpg

Last edited:

Flat_Ernie

Observer
Yes, I'm pretty ADD as well. I'm not diving in to anything right yet but just trying to figure out what's out there and what will work best for me. I'd like to pull the trigger on a GXV Turtle or extended turtle eventually. However, one of these would be pretty cool to go fulltime in. Where in Montana did you grow up? I'm from Wisconsin originally and now find myself maybe headed to Wyoming or Colorado with job but will be coming back to MT.

Here's my buddy back in '89. I'll let you figure out who his guest of honor is.

View attachment 391762
I know who the guest is - is your buddy the guy in the center staring his steely-eyed stare from behind his ubiquitous mustache? He's a buddy of mine too...

...small world indeed.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles