2018 Subaru Crosstrek

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
I've always like the 'idea' of the Crosstrek but have always been disappointed by the execution. With the rear seats up, the cargo volume has actually decreased from the 13-17 XV, in spite of having wheelbase and size increases. Torque is more important than HP for almost all off-road vehicles, and the FB20B is pitifully weak in that regard. And the CVT doesn't have enough gearing to offset that, especially if larger tires are used. Day trips to the beach with a cooler are about the extent of it's use.

perterra

Adventurer
I have driven the automatic. It is gutless. Very painful to drive. Maybe the manual is better, but it really isn't a powerful car. (yes I said car)

It's slow, but painfully slow, not really. Painfully slow is any Jeep running a stock 258 with manual transmission, or maybe an FJ40 geared where it's wound so tight at 65 the pistons try to swap holes, painfully slow is a 61 Chevy Apache with a 235 and 3 speed. Thats painfully slow, youre just spoiled. :D

Last edited:

p nut

butter
I've always like the 'idea' of the Crosstrek but have always been disappointed by the execution. With the rear seats up, the cargo volume has actually decreased from the 13-17 XV, in spite of having wheelbase and size increases. Torque is more important than HP for almost all off-road vehicles, and the FB20B is pitifully weak in that regard. And the CVT doesn't have enough gearing to offset that, especially if larger tires are used. Day trips to the beach with a cooler are about the extent of it's use.

I don't know if that is that big of a deal. I mean, you could argue, then all Subaru's are only good for beach trips. No low range. No locker. Tire size limitations. But even my subaru with off-road "handicaps" have taken me to plenty of places. That Crosstrek has great clearance. Enough for a TON of back country roads out here in the west. Torque? Sure, it helps. But for the stuff you could take the Crosstrek on, it's good enough.

screwball48

Explorer
A few articles are stating that X mode will be standard. Couple this with the increased torsional rigidity of the new platform and this could turn out to be more capable than the previous generation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fike

Adventurer
I would suggest looking at the Forester XT. It is a much more capable crossover with the power to handle things like deep sandy beach and a firmer suspension that helps deal with severely rutted roads.

Roody

Adventurer
Still waiting on a Crosstrek WRX but highly doubt we'll ever get one. Too bad, because that thing would be a freakin' hoot. I have a 2017 WRX as a daily and an XVWRX would likely get me out of the sedan and into the crossover-thing sooner rather than later.

fike

Adventurer
Still waiting on a Crosstrek WRX but highly doubt we'll ever get one. Too bad, because that thing would be a freakin' hoot. I have a 2017 WRX as a daily and an XVWRX would likely get me out of the sedan and into the crossover-thing sooner rather than later.

THAT would be a great combo.

dcg141

Adventurer

Exactly, Subaru makes excellent cars and obviously they can get good HP out of their engines. They seem to miss the mark on putting packages together. That would seem to be a parts bin creation. I think possibly EPA certifications holds them back.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
It looks sporty for the younger generation, you would think it would have a manny,

Oh wait! :ylsmoke: :D

sticker,375x360-bg,ffffff.u1.png

Hey now....

GregSplett

Adventurer
Being somebody that started with a 84 gl wagon in 1991,thought timing belts were a hell of an improvement with EA82 and now am beating up a first gen legacy, the crosstrek seems to be falling back to the roots.I think my GL came new with 86 hp and redlined at 5000 rpm..I buried it with over three hudred thousand miles and I believe the low horsepower was key to the longjevity of those cars.I see these Crosstrek cars on display at the Subaru sponsered garden show every year and tell the pretty girl that I will buy one when they come with skid plates.She does not get and then I have to beg for some swag.LOL

fike

Adventurer
An interesting note on the crosstrek:

I was having my subie worked on and was chatting with the service writer. I was telling him how the crosstrek loaner he had given me was really really really slow. He explained that the hybrid crosstrek was actually not intended to have enhanced fuel economy (I think it gets 1 mpg more than the gas versiosn). The hybrid was added to give it more torque and power.

Wow! That is cool.

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
An interesting note on the crosstrek:

I was having my subie worked on and was chatting with the service writer. I was telling him how the crosstrek loaner he had given me was really really really slow. He explained that the hybrid crosstrek was actually not intended to have enhanced fuel economy (I think it gets 1 mpg more than the gas versiosn). The hybrid was added to give it more torque and power.

Wow! That is cool.

Cool but that was an expensive, heavy and complex solution given the FB25B from the Forester/Outback would be a drop in replacement.

Read that X-Mode is standard on the '18 Xtrek. In my mind, it adds capability may deserve reconsideration.

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
According to the motormouth (CA) youtube vid I watched, he said the CVT in this Xtrek has a wider spread with lower initial gearing. And the flappy-paddles give you 7 set points ("gears"). Looking better, if only the cargo volume hadn't been reduced.

Also, the '18 uses the FA20 engine, instead of the FB20B, which should be a little more robust as it's the basis for the 'T' models.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94