Let's see those WilderNests...

Kevin M

Observer
After spending a considerable amount of time searching ExPo with little luck, I decided to start this thread to encourage the posting of more WilderNest photos. I know they are out there...
If my "forum searching skills" have failed me and such a thread exists, please post the link. Otherwise, searching through the 101 or so pages of the "Camper and Truck Photos" to see 1 WilderNest in every 15-20 pages just wasn't cutting it.
Here is mine.
IMG_1615.jpgIMG_1568.jpgIMG_1850.jpgIMG_1723.jpgIMG_1468.jpgIMG_1463.jpg03000cbb.jpg03000e3b.jpg030010a2.jpgIMG_20170128_094748794_HDR.jpg

Stevanjohnson

do any of you actual owners of these things have any concrete info on exact sizes wildernests were offered in? i've seen some things here and there but havent been able to come up with confirmed dimensions. i've seen 6 foot and 8 foot length, nothing else. it seems like those of us with 6.5 beds (T100 and 1st gen tundras) are out of luck for the wildernest.

ghostshaper

I just bought a short, full-size wildernest last weekend for my first gen Tundra DC. It is a couple inches too wide on either side and about 6 in too long. I'm going to have to use metal bars on each bed rail and relocate the rear window to make it fit.

JodyWaller

I just bought a short, full-size wildernest last weekend for my first gen Tundra DC. It is a couple inches too wide on either side and about 6 in too long. I'm going to have to use metal bars on each bed rail and relocate the rear window to make it fit.

I am in a very similar situation.

But I had not thought through that type of solution.

How are you planning on relocating the rear window?

Thanks!

ghostshaper

Hi Jody,
The supports in the rear of the shell match up almost perfectly with my tailgate. I figure if I bolt 1" pieces of wood on the top and to both sides of the supports on the inside of the shell, then I can mount the rear window to the wood. I am planning on tracing/cutting the outline of the window to the wood so it'll fit. The window should still open b/c the top of the window will be lower than where it's normally mounted, factoring in the tapered trapezoidal (?) shape. All of this is hypothetical until I actually get it done, of course. I've drilled out the rivets and will replace them with bolts into the wood. Right now, the window is still stuck to the shell, even w/o rivets. I think there's a strip of double-sided foam tape sticking it on. I'm planning to try a heat gun and some fishing line to loosen it. I'll post again when I make some progress.

My question is if anyone has mounted an awning on the driver's side and how best to do this? We have a foxwing awning that we'd like to mount.

Edit: After buying aluminum bar for the bed rails, and thinking about having to mount the foxwing and figure out how to seal up the rear window, I've decided to give up and sell it and go back to a RTT. It seems like a lot of work to make it fit the first gen Tundra bed, and we don't want to get rid of the truck.

Last edited:

Kevin M

Observer
Looks great Emorphius! I like the idea of having the WilderNest on a trailer and it seems to fit quite well. Thanks for sharing the photos.

I know there is more than one other person on ExPo with a WilderNest...

Clutch

<---Pass
do any of you actual owners of these things have any concrete info on exact sizes wildernests were offered in? i've seen some things here and there but havent been able to come up with confirmed dimensions. i've seen 6 foot and 8 foot length, nothing else. it seems like those of us with 6.5 beds (T100 and 1st gen tundras) are out of luck for the wildernest.

They did make them for the short bed fullsize trucks, but are extremely rare.

Camper_Shell_Tent_Short_Wide_Bed_WilderNest_02_wmu.jpg

Also for the 7' mini trucks.

2011-02-28213951.jpg

There was this model too.

wildernest tip top.jpg

Fairly certain that Wildernest partnered with Guidon camper shells.

f5Ia5N35M33L73Je3H2c8q87267beadd901f14.jpg

Here is mine, lucky to find with all the options. Kitchen organizer, attic, rear screen, and curtains.

13690593_10154406835449630_7389590242400467047_n.jpg

13627109_10154388468794630_3888952567695269174_n.jpg

Small herd of elk in the meadow below...camera phone wouldn't zoom far enough, so I tried a shot through my binoculars. About the clearest I could get it...

13606592_10154388496954630_8604690954185476948_n.jpg

17022412_10155139291394630_4693260015701175766_n.jpg

Last edited:

Kevin M

Observer
Thanks Clutch. I have never seen one of the tip top models in person, have you?
I think all I have with mine is the attic. I wish i had the rear screen.
I have seen a few WilderNests with Guidon stickers on them, they did the fiberglass. You can see the Guidon sticker in this photo I found online.
20100901_2080.jpg

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
You're welcome.

That picture is the only tip-top version I have seen.

Thanks for the pic of the Guidon stickered one...never seen that. Couple months ago a guy parked his Toyota pickup beside mine at work...took a glance..."hey, that looks just like Wildernest, but with no flip top". Have some pictures of them side by side...but can't find them.

gwittman

Adventurer
I wish i had the rear screen.
I have seen a few WilderNests with Guidon stickers on them, they did the fiberglass.
Guidon not only did the fiberglass, they also assembled the entire thing. My Brother worked for them and did field adjustments.
If you really are interested in a rear screen, I think I may have a spare. Let me know.
Here are a few pictures of my Wildernest in action.
This is in Great Basin National Park in Nevada.
120 Great Basin N P campsite mod.jpg
This is somewhere near the West end of Mojave Trail.
P1010112 mod.jpg
Somewhere in the North Nevada Mountains.
P1010033.JPG
In the Rocky Mountains above Leadville, CO (I think).
Rocky Moutain Camping.jpg

Attachments

• P1010060.jpg
    P1010060.jpg
    612.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles