Strider balance bikes. for the young ones....or special needs.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
This awesome company makes balance bikes for the young to learn how to balance correctly, and for those with special needs they have larger models as well. I am buying my son a 20" version so he can learn how to ride a bike. He has been using a "old school" freestyle scooter with 12" wheels for the past couple of years, so, this time it is on to the balance bike. once he gets used to balancing, I have 24" mountain bike ready to go. Hopfully by mid summer he should be off the balance bike and riding the trails with Mom and Dad. That's the plan anyways. Autism has a way of throwing monkey wrenches into plans. but we adapt and work to get everything as smooth as possible.

deuxdiesel

Observer
That is so awesome that you are committed to this- biking and special needs children are not mutually exclusive as many would have you believe. I work with special needs children every day, and it certainly is a challenge, but the rewards are priceless. I "built" two strider-like bikes for some folks who couldn't afford to buy a balance bike by simply stripping off the drivetrain (chain, cranks, rear cog) and brakes from free donated kids bikes, and they worked amazingly well. Since that time, they have been passed on to other kids to use. It might be worth considering as an option, plus it keeps "landfill" quality big-box store bikes out of the dumpsters a little longer.

Josh41

Adventurer
When transitioning to the "real bike" you can remove the pedals and use it like a Strider, just lower the seat, it will have a similar feel for him. Then, when ready, just put the pedals back on (pay attention to the threads, one side is reversed, they say R and L on them, rider perspective).

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Oh yeah, I know about the pedals. I have built Mountain bikes for 20 plus years. Deux....I have him a snowboard for next winter as well. My wife and I are getting ours soon as well. We snowshoed this year and had a blast. Getting back into all the outdoor activities I did when I was younger. I have my 95/98 specialized rockhopper A1 FS Comp hardtail almost rebuilt completely. and I am working on building a cool bike for my wife. going to use all pink anodized parts for hers. Looks awesome. Need to figure out weather I am going hardtail or FS for hers as well. I have my KRANKED lead sled full suspension on the rack now. I am replacing every part with new lightweight aluminum/Titanium parts. Should drops 10-20 lbs off the bike when I am done. Everything on it now is carbon steel. I am going to weigh the bike before I start, and then after. I am replacing all the fasteners with titanium on everything. New shock, forks, wheels...etc. Because I like building stuff. Well, its my job really. I am going to be building custom bikes for people in my motorsports shop as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94