Keep the Xterra or get a capped longbed pickup?

Clutch

<---Pass
One of the many nice things about the 'Burb is that with the back seats down and the truck in "cargo mode" I still have two side doors on the front that allow me to access the cargo very easily from the left or right front.

I do like that about our Trooper, it is always in cargo mode since we never use the back seats...like being able to access the cargo hold from the rear passenger doors.

But in the Tacoma I pack accordingly, stuff I want to access easily I toss in the extra cab. Good thing I am short....extra cab 6' beds work perfectly for me, best of both worlds. :D If I was going to do a RCLB truck it would have to be a Tundra, since you get about the same size storage space as my Tacoma extra cab. That and having the extra space between your head in the rear glass is nice. About the only RC that feels roomy to me.

09Tundra_Bcab_07.jpg

Anthony.V

Observer
clutch : More great info! I like that topper with a built in tent. Thats pretty neat!

martinjumper: Definitely all stuff to take into consideration. Thanks!

toastyjosh:

Hard to tell in pics sometimes, but I think those trucks in the pics have a 6" bed?

At any rate, I like the tube track idea as well for storing/fastening stuff. Maybe add a set of auxiliary lights on that front hoop over the cab would be nice! Shovel, maybe highlift etc... Could go on there.

Clutch

<---Pass
clutch : More great info! I like that topper with a built in tent. Thats pretty neat!

Best of both worlds! :D

There are Flip Pacs too, unfortunately they went out of business last year...they made them for 8' beds too.

They'll come up on Craigslist too, rare...but hardly anyone runs an 8' bed anymore...so chances are you might find one. Since they are tough to sell in that length, as most people have 6.5' beds or smaller theses days.

http://www.toyotatundraforum.com/exterior/2140-flippac-topper-camper.html

Good shot of the interior, it is like a normal shell when closed.

12vlights.jpg

Opens in about 30 seconds.

toastyjosh

Adventurer
yea I think they were 6 foot beds, I was just using them a visual aids:victory:.
The pipe rack is a great option, I have had a lot friends with the topper/ pipe rack combo mosty for rafts and kayaks on top. Same with the yakima set up, some bars a rocket box and bike attachment is what I had on my yota. Worked great, however If I had to do it again it would be long bed, topper, pipe rack.

wrmmt

Adventurer
Ive been running a topper on the 6' bed on my 1500 silverado, though its actually a little bit longer than 6' I think. I have loved it, its great for the reasons you have mentioned. I like being able to roll into camp and have very little set up to do. I currently am putting together a sleeping platform set up that will add a little storage room while keeping head room, will also be pretty easily removable if I need to haul stuff. Also have a front runner rack on the topper with a CVT awning.

One major reason I went with the truck is the versatility. If I want to sleep in the back, its easy. If I need to haul a bunch of stuff, even dirt or something else that I wouldn't want inside my truck/suv, take a couple things out of the back and its easy. Its also been quite capable for me off road. I'm not running jeep trails and don't really have an ambition to, but I've never been held back by my rig. I know everyone has their own goals/priorities, but I would have a real hard time trading the versatility and usefulness of the truck for something else.

smlobx

Wanderer
Why not just get a pop up truck camper ?? Everything you want and you can get it configured just about any way you want!

Clutch

<---Pass
Why not just get a pop up truck camper ?? Everything you want and you can get it configured just about any way you want!

I was going to suggest a 5X8 enclosed trailer, since it is essentially an 8' truck bed with a topper without having to buy a fullsize truck, and get to keep the Nissan. Be cheaper than having to sell the Nissan and buy a truck too. Those trailers are around $1500-2500 brand new, then outfit them to your liking.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/features...k-unlimited-rubicon-and-trailer/photo-02.html

Don't think he has anywhere to park it, though.

142d3afad0d390609bed602bb7f0576c.jpg

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I was going to suggest a 5X8 enclosed trailer, since it is essentially an 8' truck bed with a topper without having to buy a fullsize truck, and get to keep the Nissan. Be cheaper than having to sell the Nissan and buy a truck too. Those trailers are around $1500 brand new, then outfit them to your liking.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/features...k-unlimited-rubicon-and-trailer/photo-02.html

Don't think he has anywhere to park it, though.

View attachment 390515
Cargo trailers are pretty heavy, aren't they? Even empty. Start putting gear in there and they really pack on the weight.

Clutch

<---Pass
Cargo trailers are pretty heavy, aren't they? Even empty. Start putting gear in there and they really pack on the weight.

Depends on if it is steel or aluminum frame.

This one is steel, only 700 lbs. I can't see it it getting too too heavy, shouldn't be too hard to keep it under 1500 lbs. My aluminum roll-a-cots weigh next to nothing for an example, what else do you need besides a stove, a cooler, little table, chairs, chuck box...and other little various things?

https://www.trailersplus.com/Idaho/Nampa/5-Wide-Cargo-Trailers/trailer/4RAVS0811HN100908

Nice thing about a trailer is, you can drop it, and then use the vehicle to go exploring without being too loaded down.

I pack super light, so maybe I am different from the norm?

This was a for a moto trip, if I didn't take the bike, the gear bag and back pack (the black blob beside the water jugs in front of the Fox bag) wouldn't be there.

14 gallons of water, chuck box with all my cooking/tableware supplies, toolbox, ammo can shower and a cooler. Not seen because it is in the extra cab is my sleeping bag, pillow, folding chair, cot, bag of dry food and a small duffle for clothes. No table this trip since I tend to cook on the tailgate, if do take the table it is a small 2X4' plastic folding.

14264129_10154574514384630_6213690588697770312_n.jpg

Last edited:

Anthony.V

Observer
Voiced the pickup idea with the better half the other day. Let's just say it was not well received lol. She REALLY likes the Xterra lol. And to be fair, we've done our share of vehicle swapping the last few years. I belive 5 in total in the past two. Vehicles kept changing to match life circumstances, and now I think she'd like to let the dust settle.

May need to revisit some ideas I tabled previously, the trailer among them.

I've never been thrilled with the idea of wheeling with a trailer. But lots of folks seem successful if they have one set up for it. That leaves the real issue of storage. Her and I live on a boat, and the marina only allows two vehicles, (which are currently the prius and the Xterra.) I could try and pawn it off on her or my folks, but they both have their share of crap to store already which limits their receptiveness to taking mine lol I've considered renting storage, but dread the idea of adding any more monthly payments. This might be the route though ultimately.

At any rate, you folks have been invaluable!

Clutch

<---Pass
If momma ain't happy...no one's happy. ;)

Trailers are too bad offroad...if you do it, get one with a torsion axle...or convert to a trailing arm...Timbren makes kits. They'll track better down wash board roads

smlobox, might be right...sounds like a popup truck camper will fit the needs, and no worries about storage.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
We have an RTT on the roof of the cap on our Tacoma. I've driven over passes with it and felt no ill effects. I did add helper springs to the rear but you have to do that to any midsize truck if you carry weight all the time. You may need to get stiffer springs in the Xterra...

Anyway, I vote regular cab long bed.

Cheers,
George

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior