Keep the Xterra or get a capped longbed pickup?

Clutch

<---Pass
You've got that right lol. She puts up with enough of my endeavors.

Going to revisit the trailer idea, and maybe the RTT. She was happy with the RTT idea.

Sleeping in a truck bed is like being in a coffin, RTT is like being in a treehouse.

Mine loves the Wildernest...like RTT's feels like a treehouse, she says she feels like a kid again. We looked at Four Wheel Campers years ago, she didn't like those go figure, felt too claustrophobic.

Anthony.V

Observer
Sleeping in a truck bed is like being in a coffin, RTT is like being in a treehouse.

Mine loves the Wildernest...like RTT's feels like a treehouse, she says she feels like a kid again. We looked at Four Wheel Campers years ago, she didn't like those go figure, felt too claustrophobic.
We've never slept in one, but when I introduced mine to the idea of them she was hooked lol I'm just concerned about weight. Her and I are both big people.

Started another thread in the nissan section. One fella says he's at about 625# total with tent and occupants. Which is around where we would be between us and the tent weight. So there might be some promise there.

I suppose I could always build a trailer to mount the RTT.

OR..... A wildernest lol

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Clutch

<---Pass
It sounds doable.

Yeah lots of options out there, drive yourself nuts looking at them.

I was getting ready to do a RTT and mount it on my dirt bike trailer, then I stumbled across another Wildernest...this will be my second one. It isn't perfect, but what is?

We had a '73 VW Westy for 8 years....she loved that thing, but those things are kinda impractical now-a-days for traveling...down right scary trying to compete on the road with modern vehicles.

The Tacoma/Nest is working for now....for retirement no clue...would like to have a modern version of that old Westy, though a 4WD truck with a popup camper is more versatile. Cross that road when we get there...have at least 10 years to think about it. :D

There are guys mounting RTT's on small enclosed trailers too.

a05dba76bf02844c2e8f189fa54719cd.jpg

Anthony.V

Observer
Yeah lots of options out there, drive yourself nuts looking at them.

Definitely enough to make my head spin lol!

I like the synchro Westys as well. But they fetch an ungodly price here in Socal. Often North of $30K and for a vehicle that vintage, I'll pass.

Quigley will make any transit van 4wd for about $10k by the way. More than I can afford after the price of the transit, but I looked really hard myself at small 4x4 vans lol One you might want to look into for yourself if your looking at vans for one day (if you haven't already) are the imported Mitsubishi Delica, and Toyota HiAce 4x4 vans. You can find them in Victoria BC all day. http://m.autotrader.ca/results?make=mitsubishi&mdl=delica&cat2=7,11,10,9&st=1

Only thing really held me back on those is how questionable it is to register them in CA.

Clutch

<---Pass
Definitely enough to make my head spin lol!

I like the synchro Westys as well. But they fetch an ungodly price here in Socal. Often North of $30K and for a vehicle that vintage, I'll pass.

Quigley will make any transit van 4wd for about $10k by the way. More than I can afford after the price of the transit, but I looked really hard myself at small 4x4 vans lol One you might want to look into for yourself if your looking at vans for one day (if you haven't already) are the imported Mitsubishi Delica, and Toyota HiAce 4x4 vans. You can find them in Victoria BC all day. http://m.autotrader.ca/results?make=mitsubishi&mdl=delica&cat2=7,11,10,9&st=1

Only thing really held me back on those is how questionable it is to register them in CA.

I know! :D

Yeah VW prices are ridiculous anymore...I remember when you could get an old bus for $500....those days are long gone. We sold ours to help with the down payment on the new (to us) house, Ha!

My buddy who moved to NZ has a Delica...seems to like it...but also seems to be working it on it all the time. Importing a vehicle that was never sold in the US, makes me a little leery....getting parts might be a hassle, especially while traveling. I want to be able to go into a dealer or Autozone.

A Quigley 4WD Transit conversion sounds appealing...have been finding base model Transits in the $25K range...with the conversion is about the price of a new Tacoma. So not too too bad..I would have to to the camper conversion myself to keep the cost down. Do like the open-ness of the a van and being able to access the camper portion by getting up out of the driver's seat and turning around. However... pickup usually wins in the end...can find a brand new fullsize V6 4WD in the low $20K range...All Terrain Camper sells their shell model for around $9. You're $5-7K under a Quigley 4WD Transit van conversion...and haven't even begun the camper conversion.

https://www.allterraincampers.com/PricingAndOptions

bigskypylot

Explorer
We have an RTT on the roof of the cap on our Tacoma. I've driven over passes with it and felt no ill effects. I did add helper springs to the rear but you have to do that to any midsize truck if you carry weight all the time. You may need to get stiffer springs in the Xterra...

Anyway, I vote regular cab long bed.

Cheers,
George

With a front and rear bumper, RTT, I went with Radflo 2.5 Coilovers(650#)/PRG UCAs, Alcan leafs (+450 over stock) w/ 2.5" lift built-in, Radflo 2.0, Timbren Bumps and PRG adjustable shackles. Looking back, I should have went full Titan swap right away and +550 to 600 on the Alcans.

Anthony.V

Observer
With a front and rear bumper, RTT, I went with Radflo 2.5 Coilovers(650#)/PRG UCAs, Alcan leafs (+450 over stock) w/ 2.5" lift built-in, Radflo 2.0, Timbren Bumps and PRG adjustable shackles. Looking back, I should have went full Titan swap right away and +550 to 600 on the Alcans.
I wouldn't at all mind running this very setup on our Xterra. One day when budget allows, and use demands it I'll likely end up with something similar if not this exactly.

I just tossed on a set of 5100's this past weekend. I set the front on the 0.5" "leveling" lift setting on the machine notch. It seems like quite a bit more than that though (via eyeballing, which, yes, is not at all scientific lol). Something close to an 1"+ is what I think we've gotten. I have a feeling Bilstein sends out a generic set of instructions and what the raised heights are with those notches.

She sits a little "nose high" now, so I ordered a set of 1.5" rear lift shackles to level things out, or add a touch of rear rake. Will see how that works out for now.

One day down the line id love to run a setup like your rig. But our other "adventure vehicle"/current home (36" trawler) has a habit of spreading us thin lol.

bigskypylot

Explorer
I wouldn't at all mind running this very setup on our Xterra. One day when budget allows, and use demands it I'll likely end up with something similar if not this exactly.

I just tossed on a set of 5100's this past weekend. I set the front on the 0.5" "leveling" lift setting on the machine notch. It seems like quite a bit more than that though (via eyeballing, which, yes, is not at all scientific lol). Something close to an 1"+ is what I think we've gotten. I have a feeling Bilstein sends out a generic set of instructions and what the raised heights are with those notches.

She sits a little "nose high" now, so I ordered a set of 1.5" rear lift shackles to level things out, or add a touch of rear rake. Will see how that works out for now.

One day down the line id love to run a setup like your rig. But our other "adventure vehicle"/current home (36" trawler) has a habit of spreading us thin lol.

These were taken when it was loaded down good and the adjustable shackles were at the lowest setting and no Timbren bump-stops...

13415398_1293565790671334_8771925093702763430_o.jpg

13442477_1293565007338079_1481805680789291599_o.jpg

13575855_1304786929549220_4588192857550681604_o.jpg

These were with the Timbren bumps and the shackles et in the mid-position...
13580412_1307255399302373_1584388589836184724_o.jpg

13580442_1308197542541492_9158174646314951602_o.jpg

13558967_1308190559208857_5113243058555273637_o.jpg

This is with the Timbren bumps and shackles set at the tallest setting...

14590068_1411412705553308_5383687018838424971_o.jpg

Anthony.V

Observer
I like the last one, but suspect I'll end up something similar to yours set on the middle, rake wise at least. You have a good bit more lift overall, I belive. I'm running stock size grabber AT2's.

Im a novice offroad, and so far have only really done trails of the same level. Hoping to have the trucks capability increase as my skill level advances.

Excellent photos by the way!

coastalcop

You can sleep comfortably in the xterra. Remove the seat bottoms, use two Rubbermaid containers in the floorboards, and use either a inflatable or memory foam mattress. I slept many a night in my " minibago" I think I posted a thread here about it a while ago.

That said I'm using a ford screw now and had a short stint with a lx470.

But the X CAN be done

bigskypylot

Explorer
You can sleep comfortably in the xterra. Remove the seat bottoms, use two Rubbermaid containers in the floorboards, and use either a inflatable or memory foam mattress. I slept many a night in my " minibago" I think I posted a thread here about it a while ago.

That said I'm using a ford screw now and had a short stint with a lx470.

But the X CAN be done

Done that a time or two!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94