Howling moon Stargazer

Stryder106

Explorer
I do like how the HM's annex has the large door on the front that doubles as a canopy.
76%20rod%20front.jpeg

OOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooo. Do the poles come with it to use it like an awning?

Stryder106

Explorer
When you are using the annex and not going up in the tent, can you fold the ladder up to have more room to walk around? Or, does that leave the tent too unsupported?

yngbuck19

Adventurer
I would say yes you can as long as no one is in the tent and you have the ladder strapped to the tent base securely so it does not swing down and hit someone on the head. In your case not sure if the ladder would clear the tailgate unless you lift that end of the tent up some while you fold the ladder under.

Mgyver1

Observer
OOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooo. Do the poles come with it to use it like an awning?

I talked to Will about them probably 6 months ago as I was considering getting one and I think he said yes but I'm not 100% sure, so that would be a good question to ask him before you order.

If you get one be sure to post pics or a video, I and I'm sure many others would love to see it. Are you considering the canvas or nylon version?

Mgyver1

Observer
Wait --- there's two different fabric options? This is all that's mentioned: •380-400 GSM (equivalent to US 450 Denier or 14 oz. fabric) Polyester/cotton ripstop material.

Last I knew they had a nylon version and a canvas version of the annex. The nylon was cheaper, but obviously not as strong of a material as the canvas. The tent itself is canvas and the rain fly is nylon.

cmoney

I also have a 1.6 stargazer and the canvas annex. The annex does come in canvas and nylon. Since the price difference wasn't much I went with the canvas. Its the same material (weight and thickness) as the tent itself.

Before I decided on the HM stargazer I did a lot of research myself, including talking to Will at Expedition Outfitters. My conclusion was the HM is a slightlier user friendly tent than Eezi Awn for various reasons.

I actually placed on tent on sale a few months ago but haven't found a buyer yet. If you do decide on the HM and interested, shoot me a pm. Good luck!

yngbuck19

Adventurer
I also have a 1.6 stargazer and the canvas annex. The annex does come in canvas and nylon. Since the price difference wasn't much I went with the canvas. Its the same material (weight and thickness) as the tent itself.

Before I decided on the HM stargazer I did a lot of research myself, including talking to Will at Expedition Outfitters. My conclusion was the HM is a slightlier user friendly tent than Eezi Awn for various reasons.

I actually placed on tent on sale a few months ago but haven't found a buyer yet. If you do decide on the HM and interested, shoot me a pm. Good luck!

Any pics or user experiences you'd like to share?

cmoney

I uploaded some pics in the thread I started over at the sale sub-forum. I've only used it twice so far so I don't have too much insight yet. But I have opened it up on my driveway to show friends countless times lol.

I would say definitely get the stargazer model if you can. That extra feature is so cool and trust me, its the first or second comment every one of your friends/family will make when they check out your tent. But keep in mind the extra overhang of the "touring models" does take a little more time to pack up and set up. I think some people like the simplicity of the "basic models" and the time saved from packing and unpacking.

Also I noticed that when people compare the different brands they don't mention the fact that HM is a lot lighter in weight than the other brands when keeping the fabric GSM constant. It was a huge factor for me to pick HM.

If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask.

NM-Frontier

Explorer
Also I noticed that when people compare the different brands they don't mention the fact that HM is a lot lighter in weight than the other brands when keeping the fabric GSM constant. It was a huge factor for me to pick HM.

^
This right here is an excellent point.

Stryder106

Explorer
If I could fit the 1.6 I would have already IMd on that. I'm trying to go overbed on my Avalanche, so I think the 1.4 is my limit. Bummer....................

cmoney

Want to ship your tent that you have for sale via freight to the East coast for me?

Sorry, its too much hassle to do a non in-person deal for me. I would totally work it out with you if you were local as I'm no longer using the tent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior