Falkor - 2001 Crew Cab 2500HD

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
Holy damn, this is an awesome build.

I'm with Jack, never even considered a solid until I saw this design.

All that awesome fabrication almost makes me wish I had a job again. Almost.

Once I'm done dragging this poor truck all over the world, a SAS just might be in the works. I'll be following this closely. Thanks for such a detailed write up and for all the pictures.

zukrider

Explorer
Very cool. I'll be following for sure. As I'm about to end up with a 2500HD unicorn, and will debate between this and the Cognito upgrades.

krazytoy

Adventurer
I have everything assembled, primed and painted, time to get this party started! After 2 nights of working on it I have the front suspension stripped and the front diff and steering out, ready to start chopping brackets off the frame.

yota_mota

Awesome work man, I'm in for the whole build! I'll be doing something very similar on my '04 2500 Sierra CCSB. I also went with the 6.0 because I know the LS engines top to bottom so getting power/torque out of them is a breeze. You need to take a second mortgage out on your house to buy go-fast diesel parts theses days haha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

krazytoy

Adventurer
Been busting my rump the last week getting everything removed, cut off and cleaned up. I got the new PSC steering pump and gear box installed while it was easy to get to too. I started grinding all the IFS crap off the frame Saturday morning and by Sunday night I had everything bolted up and welded on. Everything fit well except for the skid plate. I ended up having to notch it because the t-case was hitting it, I assume this is because the 4l80e is shorter than the Allison, it wasn’t that big of a deal and it will work as designed. I also had to slot the holes in the transmission mount further forward by about .25” to get the skid plate exactly where it needed to go. Other than that everything else went smooth with only having to touch up a few spots to get everything to fit in the tabs. Should have it wrapped up and mosty complete by Friday.

Chop Chop

Now for the not so fun part…

That is a lot of grinding, took me about 3 hours!

You can see here where I had to notch out the skid plate for the t-case.

And I clearanced the bottom of the t-case a little just to be safe, it clears by a solid ½” now.

Transmission mount fits nicely and the skid plate is exactly where it needs to go.

Obviously still have a lot of little things to wrap up this week but the majority of the heavy work is done. I made the square steel tubing length at ride height of where the shocks should be, this way I can at least put the tires on it and turn it around so I can start on the back since I STILL don’t have my shocks…

This should be about where the tire will sit at ride height, I am going to have to do quite a bit of trimming to get the 40’s to fit, but it is definitely going to be one low slung SAS!

frojoe

Adventurer
This is epic! Loved Tim's build thread.. progress on his stalled out a while ago and now it looks like he's thinking of selling it.. look forward to many more progress pics from your build (hopefully)!

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Looks like some major progress!!
IMG_3759.jpg

What hubs are those? They look like the Ford hubs, but I don't see the Ford lettering, did you do something to fill them in?
Also, I didn't see the hydro-assist mount on the axle, are you waiting to put that on?
Jack

krazytoy

Adventurer
What hubs are those? They look like the Ford hubs, but I don't see the Ford lettering, did you do something to fill them in?
Also, I didn't see the hydro-assist mount on the axle, are you waiting to put that on?

They are the Ford hubs... I ground the Ford off them, glad you noticed... :Wow1:
Give ma a minute on the ram mount... I wanted to make sure that it lined up with the steering!

Got a little more done last night. I reamed the pitman arm for the drag link, got the ram assist mount welded on to the axle, the steering linkages up where they go, parhard bar on and started to get the new brakes on. I also took some all-around pictures to make everyone happy. I test fit a tire and the 17” wheels clear the brakes without issue, that was a relief!

adventr

Adventurer
Didn't realize you were on here! Build is looking awesome and your progress is great.

Saw where you had to modify the crossmember for the transfer case. Does your truck run the NV263HD case? If so, then it's probably the length difference that's causing it. Bet you're ready to take this thing for a spin!

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Hey Krazy, your build is looking great.:Wow1: Glad to hear you ground that Fraud off of your hubs. That will give you some more power when you need it, Cheers,Chilli...:)

krazytoy

Adventurer
Didn't realize you were on here! Build is looking awesome and your progress is great.

Saw where you had to modify the crossmember for the transfer case. Does your truck run the NV263HD case? If so, then it's probably the length difference that's causing it. Bet you're ready to take this thing for a spin!

Yep, been on here for quite some time, if you search my name you can find almost all my builds on here. I like to spread out and get different perspective on my builds.
Thanks man, couldn't have done it without your awesome skills!
Yes, my truck has the 263 case, it wasn't a big deal to get it all to clear, everything else has fit perfectly with only a few touches of the grinder here and there.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
They are the Ford hubs... I ground the Ford off them, glad you noticed... :Wow1:
Give ma a minute on the ram mount... I wanted to make sure that it lined up with the steering!

Got a little more done last night. I reamed the pitman arm for the drag link, got the ram assist mount welded on to the axle, the steering linkages up where they go, parhard bar on and started to get the new brakes on. I also took some all-around pictures to make everyone happy. I test fit a tire and the 17” wheels clear the brakes without issue, that was a relief!

That's pretty slick. I wouldn't have thought of grinding it off. That will save some money versus the Warn hubs.
That makes sense on the mount. I need to get down to Fastenal and pick up my weldnuts for that mount. Thank you for the pictures, I am going to need them when I get started on mine. Between your pictures and Tim's, it should make it a whole lot easier. I too will be running 17's so that is good to hear.
Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94