Falkor - 2001 Crew Cab 2500HD

krazytoy

Adventurer
Two weeks down and another productive weekend in the books, I was able to pull it out and get a good look at it from a distance and wow, I am super stoked!
The Pro Comp 40’s must be a lot bigger than the Toyo’s that Tim is running or the back space on my wheels is different because the tire hits the radius before it gets to full lock, not a lot but it still hits.
I got a tracking number for my front coil overs too last week, so the shocks should be here Tuesday.
I also ordered some 2.5” lift blocks for the rear and stuffed those in this weekend so I can drive it. I was planning to tear into the rear right away but camping season is here and honestly, I am pretty burnt out. I have been going pretty hard in the shop for the last 6 months, I put a 6.0L in a 80 series Land Cruiser, did the front link suspension on my buddies Toyota and now Falkor, I think it’s time to take a break for a few months and go enjoy this bad boy! As usual all the little things like break lines, ABS sensors, and bleeding everything took longer than I thought but looks like everything held and I think it time to party!
I pulled some overall measurements to compare where the truck sits compared to my Yukon that was on 37’s and right now the truck sits about ½” lower than the Yukon!
The PSC ram sticks out pretty far in front and I am concerned that I may hit it on something. Since that part of the tie rod is the permanent part I was thinking about taking some 3/16” plate and rolling around on the bottom and welding it to the tie rod so it would protect the ram a little, it seems it would also strengthen the tie rod itself. I'll probably be adding this in the near future.

'05TJLWBRUBY

Adventurer
Looking good Man, looking good. Stance is about perfect. May have to pick your brain on the 6.0 in the 80- buddy has been wanting to do the same for a while now with the 6l90. Time will tell...

Best of Luck,

Mike

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Beautiful work. I can't wait to start on mine. I will be picking your brain for sure.
Jack

Bojak

Adventurer
Bravo! Pretty sick. Now that it's done you will probably enjoy the crew cab truck more than the Tahoe. I am just so used to driving and living with a truck I have no idea how I would make a SUV work. Camping, hauling, working, and playing ;you just get really used to the functionality of the bed. Hope you enjoy it as much as we have enjoyed watching the build.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

krazytoy

Adventurer
Beautiful work. I can't wait to start on mine. I will be picking your brain for sure.
Jack

Let me know if you have any questions, all in all it was a fairly easy process.

Bravo! Pretty sick. Now that it's done you will probably enjoy the crew cab truck more than the Tahoe. I am just so used to driving and living with a truck I have no idea how I would make a SUV work. Camping, hauling, working, and playing ;you just get really used to the functionality of the bed. Hope you enjoy it as much as we have enjoyed watching the build.

I sure hope I enjoy it, it's been a lot of money and time. I have been driving it the last few days and all I can say is wow, it handles amazing and drives better than when it was stock. The gearing sucks so I am ordering up some new gears today. I am really happy with the rest, I'll post some more pictures soon.

'05TJLWBRUBY

Adventurer
all I can say is wow, it handles amazing and drives better than when it was stock. The gearing sucks so I am ordering up some new gears today. I am really happy with the rest, I'll post some more pictures soon.

Wait what! You mean a properly build SAS can handle better than stock??? haha! ;)

what trans are you running? 40s would definitely suck on stock gears. 4.10 is bad enough on 33s with 4l80. 6 speed likes it as deep as you can go if you have one...

Best of Luck,

Mike

krazytoy

Adventurer
Wait what! You mean a properly build SAS can handle better than stock???

Blasphemy!
I love all these guys that say "I bet you can SAS that truck for under $5K, then they turn around and say that a SAS truck will never drive as good as a stock truck... Well no ****, what did you expect, you spent $5k on it!

It has the 4l80e in it, I ordered 5.38's for it last night.

'05TJLWBRUBY

Adventurer
Blasphemy!
I love all these guys that say "I bet you can SAS that truck for under $5K, then they turn around and say that a SAS truck will never drive as good as a stock truck... Well no ****, what did you expect, you spent $5k on it!

It has the 4l80e in it, I ordered 5.38's for it last night.

Exactly. I went WAY overkill on my suspension-far more than originally intended, but just so happened on a deal I couldn't turn down and of course it snowballed... Regardless, to do an SAS right is not cheap. I really like the look of Tims kit- it should work great for 99% of the people out there wanting to do this type of thing. Love the work you've put into this and Man you've been moving fast. More props to a quality kit making install that much easier/faster. Not that this was "easy" or "fast" but still- says a lot to a quality kit. Sorry I missed the Tahoe in person but hope to check this one out if possible at some point in future once Suburban HD is done. Intent is to have Josh work his magic on the computer once I nail down the right transplant. I think you'll be happy with the 5.38s. We've got 5.13s with same drivetrain on 40s with mild built 6.0 around 600hp I think it is and it works. I'm going 5.38s in mine as well- though massaged and REM treated before mating to the ARBs. Just wish I had your speed and skill- it is taking FAR longer than planned... Always a drawback though of some kind- time and cost being biggest killers.

Best of Luck,

Mike

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Let me know if you have any questions, all in all it was a fairly easy process.

I sure hope I enjoy it, it's been a lot of money and time. I have been driving it the last few days and all I can say is wow, it handles amazing and drives better than when it was stock. The gearing sucks so I am ordering up some new gears today. I am really happy with the rest, I'll post some more pictures soon.

Will do and I appreciate it. Like I have said in other posts, I drove Trevor's truck (WFO Concepts) and was extremely impressed with how well it drove. Both my wife and I felt like it drove/rode better than my truck and I have all of the whiz-bang stuff up front.
When I was asking Tim about front axle/wheel position, he thought the front tire was moved forward just over 2". Do you mind grabbing a few measurements? I wanted to see just how much forward the front wheel is moved. The best reference point I can think of would be from the rear of the front fender to the center of the axle. I will running either my current 34's or maybe stepping up to 35's at most. My concern is that I don't want to lose the washer bottle. WFO moves the axle 1" forward from stock and runs 35's. I just don't care much for their control arms, they look like an IFS lifted truck T-bars, besides I have all of my metal cut for Tim's kit. Thank you,
Jack

krazytoy

Adventurer
Do you mind grabbing a few measurements? I wanted to see just how much forward the front wheel is moved. The best reference point I can think of would be from the rear of the front fender to the center of the axle. Jack

I cut the back of my fenders for tire clearance, how about off the front of the body mount that is just under the floor boards? On my Yukon I cut the washer bottle down and used fiberglass to put it back together, it worked well and still held plenty of fluid.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I cut the back of my fenders for tire clearance, how about off the front of the body mount that is just under the floor boards? On my Yukon I cut the washer bottle down and used fiberglass to put it back together, it worked well and still held plenty of fluid.

I was actually thinking of the rear edge of the fender where it meets the door, but the body mount will work as well. That's a good idea on the washer bottle. Again, I'm not going as big as you and Tim, mine is more for the durability. I like that I could do an alignment with a tape measure versus having to take it to a shop.
Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior