Lead Dog Motorsports /Hiker Trailer is here for Support.

I'm running a 50qt ARB fridge in the two vehicle (set to fridge temps) and an 82qt ARB set to freezer in the trailer. I used to just run the one in the tow vehicle but with an ARB it's only one compartment (unlike some other brands) so when I was out for extended periods of time with frozen stuff, I would end up freezing things I didn't want frozen. Then things like fresh veggies would get waterlogged and soggy from the freezing and thawing. Yes, I could have changed to a dual zone, but I already had one with the monitor invested, so I just picked up a second and now I have a larger fridge / freezer than any single unit. The trailer batteries are more than capable and the 200W of solar keeps them full charge almost all the time. The tow vehicle has a tri-battery setup with two odyssey extreme AGMs under the hood and a third VMAX AGM solar tank in the rear (all isolated and sequence charged) that runs the fridge and inverter in the rear of the Jeep. That rear battery has a solar controller attached and I run flexopower solar foldable solar panels to it when parked.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
At first, I thought this sounded like a good idea. Then after some time went by & I started thinking about overlanding and what is the main thing your fridge requires...POWER! If you're camped in a spot for more than a night, running the fridge is going to require recharging your battery. If your trailer has a solar system set up for it, then it makes sense to have the fridge on the trailer's electrical system. I guess you could have a solar set up for your tow rig, also, if $ is no object. But the other thing that bothered me about this idea was breaking up the kitchen. No doubt, I'm spoiled now, having a fridge in the tow rig. It's so nice to not have ice & cooler worries. I may end up with a fridge in both. Might not be a bad idea - 2 smaller fridges instead of one large one. Also a back up if one fails. The down side is: 2 sets of solar panels & fridges takes up more space. One thing's for sure for extended dry camping....wherever your fridge is - solar panels will be needed.

I've run an ARB fridge in a different Teardrop trailer on multiple occasions for up to 5 days off of the battery in the desert, with the temps in the 90s. The onboard battery was more than sufficient and solar was not needed.

Capercrew02

Observer
My setup is like this. Solar and deep cycle battery in/on trailer, fridge in tow vehicle. If I will be doing an extended stay without driving the tow vehicle, I made a 25' 7 pin extension, this links my tow vehicle and trailer batteries so my trailer keeps my vehicle battery topped off. It's simple, and 25' allows me to position my vehicle by my galley, so the fridge is close to my cooking. I agree with leaddog. If I were only running 1 fridge, it will ALWAYS be in my vehicle. It's far more usable in this configuration.
Another possible consideration would be to have the fridge in the tow vehicle or inside the trailer sleeping area during travels, and then just set it outside by the galley once camped. Not ideal, but an option. You could use a weatherproof zamp wall plug and a wiring harness to make the exterior power cable for the fridge if you used this setup.

1Louder

Explorer
I asked for a quote and lead time and haven't heard anything back. Can any recent buyers shed light on what the current lead time may be?

paddlequest

Adventurer
I recently put in my deposit and my build starts the middle of November. I think I got pretty much the last November spot though so I would think more towards December provision....from Lead Dog. Worth the wait i say!!

I asked for a quote and lead time and haven't heard anything back. Can any recent buyers shed light on what the current lead time may be?

I know that after Expo West they got inundated with quotes and orders. If you went through the Hiker website it might take a little longer than if you went to Randy at Lead Dog or the Lead Dog Motorsports Facebook page and sent a message. Just my 2 cents.

1Louder

Explorer
I know that after Expo West they got inundated with quotes and orders. If you went through the Hiker website it might take a little longer than if you went to Randy at Lead Dog or the Lead Dog Motorsports Facebook page and sent a message. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks I emailed them both. If anyone can answer the following questions it would be appreciated.

I am 6' 5" tall. can I fit reasonably comfortably in the interior? I know it is a queen sized mattress. Does anyone have the exact interior dimensions?

For the 5x9 trailer where is the additional foot? Galley? Interior? or Tongue?

Thanks everyone, I have enjoyed reading through the threads and great video FirstStateOverland.

Capercrew02

Observer
Louder, the side in the exterior demensions of the box. So take 3/4" off the 5x9 in each direction and you have the interior volume. As long as you don't have them box in the bottom shelf of the galley, you'll have just 1.5" shy of 5x9 for interior floor space. You can also opt for standard depth or wider depth galley once you step up to 5x9. Can't remember the exact measurements of each off the top of my head. I know the 5x8 galley is designed to be just shy of the extra room left over from a queen. I'm 6'1", have a 5x10 and have standard galley depth. I have enough room for galley, queen, and front storage.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
Hey Lead Dog, did you know your Website is down. Coming up with a domain error when trying to access. Either your subscription has expired or it's been hacked.

shakethedude

Would 35 inch tires fit on an Off Road Deluxe? if so would the swing out tire carrier handle a 35" as well? I really like the idea of trailer and jeep having matching tires for redundancy.

Tatted

Adventurer
I just purchased a Hiker 5X8 deluxe, 2000# axle what do I need to do to it to make it a medium duty

Lead Dog

Observer
I just purchased a Hiker 5X8 deluxe, 2000# axle what do I need to do to it to make it a medium duty

Morning, our Med Duty's have Different Chassis and Construction assembly backing all through it, along with a Torsion Axle instead of a small leaf spring pack. different animals.. built different ways.

ratled

Adventurer
On the 5x8 in the med duty or the off road, what is the width? Outside tire to outside tire?

TIA

ratled

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles