Lead Dog Motorsports /Hiker Trailer is here for Support.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I just wanted to jump in here to share a story about Hiker Trailers here in CO. My wife and I run a camping group here called Colorado Teardrops and Tiny Trailer Campers (you can find us on Facebook) and several of our members have Hiker trailers.
One of our group members is named Susan. She's an older lady who got a Hiker because it lets her camp safely and securely and it's easy to tow with her small vehicle (she has a Jeep Renegade.) Susan got her Hiker in 2015 and camped with us a LOT in 2015 and 2016 (we do about 15 camping trips each year - this year I think we're up to 16.)
Well, last October, Susan's Hiker was stolen out of her supposedly secured parking garage (turns out the overhead door was broken so the property management people just left it open!) Susan was hearbroken as she had put a LOT of work into customizing her trailer, and also, all of her camping gear was inside. Of course, she notified the police and our camping group and we all kept our eyes peeled looking for it but we never did find it. She also notified Rob Reeve at Hiker Trailers here in Colorado as she started to save up to buy another one.
Then, about 4 weeks ago, out of the blue, someone called Rob and said they had "bought" a used Hiker trailer from their friend who "was getting a divorce", but gosh darn it the VIN plate was missing, and could Rob make them another VIN plate so they could register it? :rolleyes:
As I said, Rob knew what happened to Susan's trailer so he said "SURE, bring it right over!" - and of course his next phone call was to the police!
Bottom line, Susan's got her trailer back and even though they did some damage (cut wires and spray painted over Susan's custom graphics) the trailer is intact and Rob is currently helping Susan restore it to full functionality. Not only that, but when Susan went to pick up her trailer at the impound lot, she was able to recover a very expensive recumbent bicycle that was in the trailer at the time it was stolen!
Anyway, I just wanted to share this story to let folks know that Rob Reeve at Hiker Trailers is definitely a "stand up guy" and the kind of person who we like doing business with! As I said above, we have at least 3 - 4 Hiker trailers in our camping group and they all love them.

paddlequest

Adventurer
That is a super sad and super awesome story all at the same time. Thanks so much for sharing Martin.

Theft of these little adventure trailers seems to be on a marked rise of late. Good to know that good folks like Rob are out there watching over the community.

I have been humming and hawing about buying another trailer. I awesome to see so much positive feedback coming in on all fronts on the Hiker Trailers. I have been in consistent contact with Randy at Lead Dog and he has been SOOOOOOOO patient with my million questions. I hope to have a off road extreme behind my Tacoma some day not too too far down the road.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
General dimension question.

What are the widths of the Side and Rear doors offered on the 5x8 or 5x10 trailers? Is there a wider available rear door on the 6x10 model?

Also what is the height of the floor-level pass-through opening under the slide-out shelf?

Hiker%20Trailer%20Side%20Door%20Opening%20Dimension_zpsl92iwxgl.jpg~original

Hiker%20Trailer%20Rear%20Door%20Opening%20Dimension_zpsywohnmmh.jpg~original

Hiker%20Trailer%20Rear%20Door%20Load%20Opening%20Dimension_zpssi0snkux.jpg~original

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I race sailboats and find the sailing community and the "land lubber" camping groups are allot alike when it comes to looking out for each other. A stolen racing sailboat rarely ever goes missing for more than a few days. The hills have eyes when it comes to small production specialty rigs be it the expedition stuff or the sailboats. The builders and designers never really do it for the money, for their love of buolding and doing these activities yes!

Old sailing joke. Fastest way to make a million bucks? Start with two million and build sailboats.

Capercrew02

Observer
Switawi, the rear door is 40.5", from floor to "middle shelf" is 17", from the back door lip to shelf is 16". From access doors are 24.5" wide. My trailer also doesn't have the slide out tray under the shelf, so take a few more inches off if you go with that option.

If anyone near CT is considering one of these. We will have ours at a small overland Meet n Greet @ mohawk mt state park in CT this sat, on the 6th.

Feel free to check it out

Lead Dog

Observer
Is there anyway to get a 5x8 or 5x10 model set up with a spot for a slide out ARB50 in the galley?

We Could and have but it robs you of good galley storage room. We've built Boxes for the front storage tray area also to house a fridge. But recommended place is in the Tow Vehicle so you can Base Camp your trailer and still carry your Drinks and Lunch for the days excursion!

aguyfromhawaii

Hello. I see you guys have financing available. How far out are we available to set financing? Do your loan terms go out to 10 or 15 years? Is a down payment required? What's the average monthly payment?

ratled

Adventurer
I saw this Hiker video was recently posted. Just thought I would pass it on for those considering a Lead Dog/Hiker

ratled

elistwrt

Observer
What's the over all height of the 5x8 Extreme with roof rack bars? Trying to figure out if mine will fit in my garage. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
We Could and have but it robs you of good galley storage room. We've built Boxes for the front storage tray area also to house a fridge. But recommended place is in the Tow Vehicle so you can Base Camp your trailer and still carry your Drinks and Lunch for the days excursion!
At first, I thought this sounded like a good idea. Then after some time went by & I started thinking about overlanding and what is the main thing your fridge requires...POWER! If you're camped in a spot for more than a night, running the fridge is going to require recharging your battery. If your trailer has a solar system set up for it, then it makes sense to have the fridge on the trailer's electrical system. I guess you could have a solar set up for your tow rig, also, if $ is no object. But the other thing that bothered me about this idea was breaking up the kitchen. No doubt, I'm spoiled now, having a fridge in the tow rig. It's so nice to not have ice & cooler worries. I may end up with a fridge in both. Might not be a bad idea - 2 smaller fridges instead of one large one. Also a back up if one fails. The down side is: 2 sets of solar panels & fridges takes up more space. One thing's for sure for extended dry camping....wherever your fridge is - solar panels will be needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke