Suggest a single burner propane stove?

wasatchcascade

Reflection
If you want two burners I'd go with an external metal attach and hard metal propane container. For a single burner though, I go with what OTHERS recommend - the butane canister model that slips into the unit (after a panel is lifted up), lever is activated, spark and then instant flame. The units are very light weight, dependable and have sure fire heat. The units though do NOT have side panels that deflect wind or dust and in heavy weather need to be shielded. I have two different brand models, one with fancy red paint and the other black - my guess is that both came from the same manufacturing region in China though.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
I ordered a Gas One Mini dual fuel stove based on someone's recommendation here. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LW87Z9O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used it for a short trip for the first time this week, with propane. I can report that I'm thoroughly pleased with it and recommend it. It's very simple to use and I love the piezo ignition. The pot support is very sturdy and provides some wind protection. The plastic case can be used for washing and rinsing a small amount of dishes. The only problem I had is that it's pretty difficult to fit the hose back into the case, as many reviewers note.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Partner Steel one burner stove, has anyone tried this yet?
View attachment 443635

They built one for me about 14 years ago and it’s still working just fine. But I think that picture is reversed as mine has the hose on the left side.
c55d16d6257d9306ef818675fae1d6f7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saddletramp

@Ace Brown , thanks for the reply. Do you ever miss two burners? I'm asking because I have the PS 22" stove and I'm considering stepping down to the one burner, size and ease of use, I'm a huge fan of the PS quality. Most of the time it's just me. I use a Lodge grill/griddle to double as my BBQ and diffuser and it will fit a one burner based on the pictures

Thanks for any insight you can provide based on your 14 years of use. Anything you might change or do differently will also be helpful.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
@Ace Brown , thanks for the reply. Do you ever miss two burners? I'm asking because I have the PS 22" stove and I'm considering stepping down to the one burner, size and ease of use, I'm a huge fan of the PS quality. Most of the time it's just me. I use a Lodge grill/griddle to double as my BBQ and diffuser and it will fit a one burner based on the pictures

Thanks for any insight you can provide based on your 14 years of use. Anything you might change or do differently will also be helpful.

The pot support was lacking so when I went thru Pocatello once I had them add another bar but their welder misunderstood the directions and put the bar too far towards the front and back so small pots still don’t have much support. The wind screen could be bigger. All PS stoves don’t simmer down well.

I travel solo and it’s rare that I feel a need for two burners.

Ace

TWIH

+1 for the GasOne single burner low profile 10K BTU version. While I don’t camp much at high elevation (>7000’) and cold temps (<32F) butane craps out up there.
I looked it up and read that the difficulty with isobutane and similar stoves is not so much altitude, but cold weather. When you combine cold ambient temperature with the temperature drop from the expanding gas, the gas pressure drops a lot, causing flow problems. Propane doesnt have the altitude or near freezing temps issues (it does freeze up burt thats below zero F in my experience). Some troll posted about “summer” vs “winter” mix propane but I think they were trying to cause confusion, like me being told to find some “chain stretchers” or “quadrant bubbles” when I was on a survey crew as temp help one year, but I digress...

Liquid Coleman fuel stoves perform much better in cold but the potential for spills and fumes turns me off.
For backpacking, where weight is an issue, the amount of BTU's you get from liquid Coleman fuel is more than what you get from the same weight of isobutane (and you can carry liquid fuel in a lightweight aluminum bottle vs steel cans for isobutane.

I had been using an older Coleman (big and heavy) 2 burner but the size and storage (in a Prius) necessitated a change. I found that the GasOne with windscreen ($32) and the 12 pack of butane bottles ($24), both from Amazon, did the job. Pays to buy the butane in “bulk” as the price can get crazy at remote stores, I’ve seen $5 a can/bottle, same thing with the Coleman green 1 pound propane bottles.

As far as using the butane gas lighters (the cheap BBQ style), there was a thread here titled “High Elevation Lighters” from Oct 2009 that briefly discussed the topic.
Seems like an update would be useful almost 9 years later.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I've had this one for years but it looks like Coleman quit making it as I can't find one online for sale. I prefer it to the stove over the can model for its stability.
peak1.jpg

I had one just like that. Loaned it to my son and it “got legs”.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles