Suggest a single burner propane stove?

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I've had this one for years but it looks like Coleman quit making it as I can't find one online for sale. I prefer it to the stove over the can model for its stability.
peak1.jpg

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
Thanks for the informative thread. I've been lugging a two-burner propane stove for years. On my last trip it occurred to me that I rarely cook two things at once and I started thinking about using a one-burner stove.

What are the differences (ease of use, fuel cost, etc.) between the Gas One and my Coleman Exponent dual fuel stove?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009VC7QK/ref=asc_df_B0009VC7QK5206941/?tag=hyprod-20&creativ
3&creativeASIN=B0009VC7QK&linkCode=df0&hvadid=194838933099&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17139072165400758212&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003083&hvtargid=pla-313972873574

It looks like a pot on the Gas One would be much more stable than on the small Exponent burner?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
@Herbie, that is a great idea. I might look into something like that as an alternative. I have been thinking about how to rig a single burner that I can clamp onto a table or trailer fender. One thought was to get something like this, cut off the fabric, drill vertical holes in the frame, and use bolts and wing nuts to attach a stove. It folds flat, is light and compact, and should be fairly strong..

I used some of that aluminum table-rail stuff for RVs, etc. that I had leftover from putting the table in my van. The "wall" side is riveted to the side of my chuckbox, the "table" side is mounted to that aluminum plate, along with a couple of angle brackets. The main purpose for the angle brackets is to hold a couple of thumb-screws at the bottom end so I can level the stove when the chuckbox is on uneven ground (you can kind of see it in my picture).

I use that rail stuff everywhere. I mounted a second strip of the "wall" side to the edge of my camp-table so I can bring the van table outside as an extension to the "dining" table when we've got guests, extended family, etc.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Biggest problem all of the stoves suggested have is wind...

Yep, anything with an exposed burner that's going to be an issue. I use one of those $5 accordion-fold aluminum windscreens from my local asian market. Glued a couple of rare-earth magnets to the bottom so it "snaps" the the body of my burner.

Like this:
9-Plates-Wind-Deflectors-Foldable-Outdoor-Camping-Cooker-Gas-Stove-Wind-Shield-Screens-Windshield.jpg_220x220.jpg

CSG

Explorer
I've got a couple MSR stoves that are designed for backpacking but I do vehicle camping now and have found the restaurant butane burner to be the best for my needs (like the one Robert posted above). Stable, inexpensive, and safe. Then again, my need is to heat water in a kettle for coffee. Occasionally, I'll make eggs but for the most part, I eat sandwiches or snack foods and don't cook.

Last edited:

Model94

1000% Agree. It's all i use now.

A far better choice is this one: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camp-Che...ategy=PWVUB&visitor_id=WW7iqTLYETuK7H5D5VerpU

This same stove is available under 5 or 6 names at least. I have used these stoves daily for 6 months or more. The one I have now is probably 4 years old. The butane canisters are available at Walmart and almost all outdoor stores. They come in a very usable plastic case. Engaging and disengaging the canister is as easy as moving a lever. The gas control is very good. The canisters are smaller, but seem to last a long time. Mine was outdoors most of the time and suffered a fair bit of abuse. The stove is very light and stable with a heavier pot. All around good stove, and cheap.

dman93

Adventurer
Our old and reliable two burner Century propane stove died on the first night of our recent Baja trip at Laguna Hanson where there isn't much in the way of stores or restaurants (well, nothing actually). The regulator and/or pressure relief valve failed and it leaked gas at high pressure. We couldn't find repair parts in San Felipe so we bought one of those one burner butane jobs like others have mentioned and it worked great. Will need to come up with a better windscreen, but cooking speed and control were nice and with one fuel can it's nice and small. Question though: where's the best place to find the skinny butane cans with the flange at the top, in the rural western US? One pound propane cans are ubiquitous so I never worried about finding fuel on the road before.

CSG

Explorer
Our old and reliable two burner Century propane stove died on the first night of our recent Baja trip at Laguna Hanson where there isn't much in the way of stores or restaurants (well, nothing actually). The regulator and/or pressure relief valve failed and it leaked gas at high pressure. We couldn't find repair parts in San Felipe so we bought one of those one burner butane jobs like others have mentioned and it worked great. Will need to come up with a better windscreen, but cooking speed and control were nice and with one fuel can it's nice and small. Question though: where's the best place to find the skinny butane cans with the flange at the top, in the rural western US? One pound propane cans are ubiquitous so I never worried about finding fuel on the road before.

Best place is restaurant supply stores but I bet Walmart and similar super stores carry them. I know Sportsman's Warehouse has them so I'd imagine Cabela's would too.

dman93

Adventurer
Best place is restaurant supply stores but I bet Walmart and similar super stores carry them. I know Sportsman's Warehouse has them so I'd imagine Cabela's would too.
I guess that means stock up before heading out to the boonies :)

dman93

Adventurer
Hey, just a quick follow-up note on this. When I bought my butane stove in Baja, it used Made in Mexico 380 ml butane cans. But all the butane cans sold here are 8 oz, which is much less than 380ml. I don't know if the Mexican volume is measured at a different pressure, or what/why, but these are the same as US 8 oz cans. So if you have one of these stoves, and need fuel in Mexico, the 380 ml cans fit just fine. And they're available almost everywhere.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
After reading this thread I settled on the Gas One Mini: https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Po...8719&sr=1-7&keywords=gas+one+one-burner+stove

I chose it over the regular size: https://www.amazon.com/GS-3400P-Por...8719&sr=1-5&keywords=gas+one+one-burner+stove

because it's a bit lighter. In spite of its "Mini" name I find it plenty big enough. The pot support seems very sturdy and there's some wind protection. Really pleased with the light weight and the case. A negative is that the propane hose doesn't fit in the case. I haven't used the stove yet but the Amazons reviews are good---71% 5 stars.

Uncle Jeffy

So I ended up getting the Gas One 3900 dual fuel. I got it at a reasonable price for Canada. I liked the high BTU's and ability to pop in a butane canister in a pinch (i.e. failure to plan = empty propane tank, or too lazy to connect the hose in crappy weather...).

Partner eventually offered to build a single burner stove at a reasonable price, by then I had made the purchase, and I think the Gas One is a better fit for what I need anyway.

I have not used it except to make coffee at the cabin, but it roars nicely!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles