Sill Tanks - new product

weeds_43

I have been watching the development of these sill tanks.......

130 owners are lucky as Andrew owns one, due to time and effort in making the moulds he need to get some numbers of potential buyers before he commits to the 110 version. .

I do like the weight saving over steel....

G'day and welcome to Shingleback off road!

I'm a small Aussie business with a passion for the Aussie bush, Land Rovers and well made quality 4wd accessories that are strong, practical and engineered thinking outside the square. I've just finished designing, developing and building what I believe is the only custom fitted heavy duty plastic sill tank for a Defender 130 on the planet, and it rocks, and it's for sale!

The tanks are made in Beechworth from Roto moulded linear low density polyethylene, diesel grade, and are between 7-9mm thick. Being roto moulded the plastic is stress relieved and they are completely seamless meaning they are extremely strong.

Features include;

• stronger and lighter than equivalent 2mm steel tank, weighs 17kg
  • Has a much better shape, is tapered up from chassis for max clearance and conforms to the contours better to still have a capacity of 95L with 86 L useable.
  • Never rust or crack mounts, even aluminised steel can rust on the welded seams
  • very low chance of condensation
  • Large 2" filler with three 1/2" breathers for rapid filling even with a quick flow pump
  • can be used for diesel or water (will use a food grade plastic for water)
  • comes fitted with brass inserts from 1/4" BSP to 2" BSP
  • can access both the radius arm and trailing arm nuts
  • is fitted with a drain plug for easy draining
  • 100% Australian designed and made

As there are many different ways people like to rig up their fuel tanks, for now I'm offering just the tank and all the brackets/straps/bolts to fit to your defender, you to supply all other fittings, hoses etc.

Price for 130 sill tank with brackets/straps/bolts = $790.00

optional VDO sender fitted and pressure tested + $110.00
optional brass elbow with pick up tube fitted + $30.00

Future plans are for both drivers and passenger side sill tanks for 90, 110, and 130. Other water tanks possible also, including under the rear seat in a 130. Will see how it goes, thanks for looking,

Cheers Andrew, 0400 124456.

b35dcaba38839fad6f47ce50f2b1bf1c.jpg

57eef059baa37c091974a190fb817e9a.jpg

4f1361411bd4d1f18e20ee6d8543ecfb.jpg

57611f63bb5628008d319e11cdf65c61.jpg

ebf166cebc8be88da1d429f2fad10e09.jpg

47c7d1377a50e5134170797595339f34.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tembo

topless adventures
Well done Andrew! When you get around to 90 tanks I will be quite keen. My 110 is ex-UK military, so has the side compartments for jerry cans already, so I don't think these would fit. But I have been scratching my head on extending the range and water carrying capacity for my 90.

weeds_43

Well done Andrew! When you get around to 90 tanks I will be quite keen. My 110 is ex-UK military, so has the side compartments for jerry cans already, so I don't think these would fit. But I have been scratching my head on extending the range and water carrying capacity for my 90.

My 110 Hardtop also has side compartments that were for jerry cans and these tanks will still fit.

ef48246d30674674845a4a356f4635e1.jpg

My 110 Hardtop also has side compartments that were for jerry cans and these tanks will still fit.

ef48246d30674674845a4a356f4635e1.jpg

Thats exactly the model I want! 3 door hardtop! Nice snag!

You can easily find an aluminum or soft race fuel cell to fit the jerry slot for a more permanent solution!

weeds_43

Thats exactly the model I want! 3 door hardtop! Nice snag!

You can easily find an aluminum or soft race fuel cell to fit the jerry slot for a more permanent solution!

I fitted a door, it will hold a diesel heater or diesel hot water....oh and changed the color and fitted a pop top

635077e5c3199efcb23ccb2089c329ad.jpg
l

Tembo

topless adventures
With my 110, I actually like having the options with the side compartments. Sometimes I carry two diesel jerries and two water...or depending on the destination 3 water/1 diesel. After three trips out to the Sahara I haven't needed more...yet. But my 90 has one under seat tank. I was considering adding a TD5 plastic tank at the rear but maybe two of Andrew's underside tanks might be better. One water and one fuel.

My 110
Tembo side sm.jpg

My 90
Pumba side sm.jpg

I was considering adding a TD5 plastic tank at the rear but maybe two of Andrew's underside tanks might be better. One water and one fuel.

Beautiful rigs to all of you! Would you use the water tank as Gray water? Is that tank approved for potable water? If so, that would be an awesome set up and keep everything nice and low for CG purposes!

ghfaris

I would love to have a RH Fuel and LH Water for my 110. Oh, and a RH arch tank too! Of course I am assuming you would ship these to the states as well?:)

part time nomad

Adventurer
My 90 in the Libyan Sahara

libya07 103.jpg

libya07 073.jpg

Those sill tanks look good, but I don't know how they will stand up to the vehicle being "bellied" on sharp rocks, and dragged off?

I have made twin fuel tanks out of stainless and a stainless skid plate, I also made a tank to fit in the wheel arch - fuel filler area, I can carry 135 litres without jerry cans. but I do carry some cans on the back door or roof, For a long desert leg I buy new 25L plastic cans and put them on the roof, full of diesel, I tip them into the running tanks as soon as there is space! The discarded cans are used by the next passer by, if you need the storage space.

Water is carried in a 25L can inside but pumped out via a tap to conserve usage, again extra cans are stored on the back door or roof, being bought down from the roof asap. again for the long desert legs I have 2 German army water bladders, that I tie with rope either side of the bonnet, these bladders are black and will heat the water too hot to shower under after a day in the sun. They are really strong I lost one at 40mph an it bounced down the stony track, but survived perfectly intact! They also lay flat when empty taking very little space. but can easily be filled from wells etc.

Last edited:

gethewson

Can you get the tanks into the UK.
love to see more pictures of the side lockers.
I"m building my truck slowly but there are so many variables.
IMG_1119.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1205.jpg
    IMG_1205.jpg
    551.6 KB · Views: 5

spikemd

Explorer
Looks promising but I am worried about extra protection. Some extra skid plates should be sufficient. Any idea of shipping to US?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles