Black Bear Pass in a Ram 3500 CC SRW w/ 37's, is it Possible?

andy29847

Adventurer
I am genuinely interested in the conclusion of this thread and will read the rest of it but just have to say that the conversation happening in the link posted here is absolutely freaking hysterical

There is some significant entertainment value in having the volume turned up when you watch the movie. :) The radio playing "Stand By Your Man" really makes me giggle.

JduRunner

Observer
I don't want to be a naysayer BUT here are my thoughts:

I have driven pretty much every trail in the San Juans with the exception of Black Bear. I was early on in my "wheeling" when I was down there and didn't feel capable of it. I'd like to tackle it this summer though. Your tag has your location as Atlanta, so I am not sure how much shelf road experience you have, but some people are very intimidated by shelf roads no matter how mild the surface is. Black Bear is certainly the most difficult shelf road in the area, and the switchbacks will be difficult. They are multi point turns in Mid size suvs. They aren't really the hard part of the trail either, that is taken by the very off camber staircases that get really tippy above them. I would advise to look into other trails that make up the alpine loop or do Imogene Pass rather than Black Bear if you are looking for something more difficult than the Alpine Loop proper.

Lastly part of the reason that I am being a Debbie Downer is that every year people tackle that trail that shouldn't. Either they are inexperienced OR they have an inappropriate vehicle. As a result the sheriff of Telluride is hell bent on closing that trail for future use. I'd either recommend and tour or look into a Jeep rental company in the area that allows their cars to be taken on that pass.

Dalko43

Explorer
Just FYI, there is video footage on youtube of a HD pickup (I believe an older Ram 2500) tackling black bear pass:

I'm not sure which model year you have, but so long as the wheel base is similar to the Ram in that video, it seems like you should be able to make it.

bdp1978

Adventurer
I am genuinely interested in the conclusion of this thread and will read the rest of it but just have to say that the conversation happening in the link posted here is absolutely freaking hysterical

HAHAHA! I'm glad you pointed that out or I wouldnt have listened. GO TO THE LEFT....TO THE LEFT!!!!.................. I AM DEAR!!

bdp1978

Adventurer
Just FYI, there is video footage on youtube of a HD pickup (I believe an older Ram 2500) tackling black bear pass:

I'm not sure which model year you have, but so long as the wheel base is similar to the Ram in that video, it seems like you should be able to make it.

That guy has his own website.....cant remember the name but that guy has A LOT of experience wheeling that truck.

87Warrior

GP'er
That guy has his own website.....cant remember the name but that guy has A LOT of experience wheeling that truck.
In all fairness, I think anybody who wants to pilot their rig down Black Bear should have A LOT of experience behind the wheel to even consider it. Not only to assure the driver is competent, but to assure the vehicle is in good working order as well.

I followed one of the tour trucks down Black Bear last year. I believe the truck was a white Chevrolet 2500 with the tour bed attached. He certainly used the entirety of every switchback on the way down. It was impressive to watch a full size pickup squeeze its way down to Telluride, at a quick pace nonetheless!

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
On the topic of scariest shelf road in CO, I think it's a toss up between Devil's Punchbowl section of Schofield Pass and Black Bear Pass. Having done both in the rain I can recommend not doing so. Haha

bdp1978

Adventurer
In all fairness, I think anybody who wants to pilot their rig down Black Bear should have A LOT of experience behind the wheel to even consider it. Not only to assure the driver is competent, but to assure the vehicle is in good working order as well.

I followed one of the tour trucks down Black Bear last year. I believe the truck was a white Chevrolet 2500 with the tour bed attached. He certainly used the entirety of every switchback on the way down. It was impressive to watch a full size pickup squeeze its way down to Telluride, at a quick pace nonetheless!

Agree on the experience, although some guys can get by on dumb luck. We followed some kind of KIA rental SUV down BBP. The guy wheeled it right down and then proceeded to tell us how he had drank a 12 pack before they came down......... Glad we were after him instead of worrying about him landing on our heads.

Those 2500 tour trucks are regular cabs arent they?

Scoutn79

Adventurer
As has been mentioned many times in this thread it seems doable tho not recommended.
Think of the group of vehicles behind you...there is no place for them to pass until you get to the pump house.
Beyond whether your "truck" can do it is can "you" handle it. Now don't take this the wrong way, I do not know you or your level of experience dealing with very narrow exposed shelf roads where a mistake will land you 2k feet lower than where you goofed up. BB is a psychological trail, when you do your multi point turns in that long truck your front tires will RIGHT ON THE EDGE OF THE CLIFF...not two feet back from it. You will look out over your hood and and you will see exactly what a pilot sees, lots of air and the land way below. It's one thing to drive a narrow trail with trees on the side to give you a safety net (both physically and psychologically) BB doesn't have that. When you, or your passenger, looks out the window it is straight down. It really messes with peoples minds. Now even if you are OK doing it are your passengers going to be OK with it? I have seen passengers totally loose their minds on Mt Antero and it's not as narrow as BB but the results are pretty much the same..and when I say loose there minds they were almost hysterical and hyperventilating If you go over the edge you are pretty much dead. The videos are great but give you no idea of what it really feels like to be on it. you MUST know where you tires on the downhill side are at all times...if you don't and get distracted for an instant it could be lights out.
I don't say this to be degrading in any way but it can be serious. Think about it this way. If you could get you truck on top of a building would you feel comfortable putting one tire right up to the edge while you are making a multi-point turn. Would you be comfortable driving around the perimeter of the building with your passenger tires with-in two feet of the edge?

Since you are going to be much slower I would suggest a weekday when the trail isn't as busy.

Darrell

ttengineer

Adventurer
It won't be a problem. I just wanted to know if my truck will fit. Which it will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior