Rooftop Tent Positioning

mass

Observer
Hello all,

About to get a complete setup with a Front Runner Rack, accessories, and a Tepui Rooftop Tent (RTT).

I'm curious if there are any structural concerns with storing the tent on the forward portion of the rack, rather than the aft.
Reason being is to maintain functionality of the ladder/bumper setup and retain easier access to the other items being stowed on the rack.

I am hard-pressed to find any examples of this setup being run on any Disco/LR3s, and I was curious if there was a technical reason.

I've factored in the wind drag, and I'm willing to experiment with that, but mostly curious about the structural limitations...

I will plan on opening the Tent to the passenger side, either way in order to retain full usage of the tailgate area.

Thanks!!
:costumed-smiley-007

I've experimented with both and recommend the front for center of gravity and load distribution. Yes, I occasionally put it in the back if I am going straight to the camp site and back after the weekend and I do not plan to offroad. I have an ARB and it is fairly large and heavy and the position matters for weight and traction. Always consider weight distribution in everything you do; on the roof especially! Consider what your load would be and if aerodynamics works in your favor after you figure weight then great! The reality is, MPG is going to suck with anything on the roof in a LR3/4; the tent position will not matter too much at that point. Not saying it doesn't matter, just saying weight distro has to be your #1 consideration. If you run fuel cans on the roof, then they will go in the back and the tent forward regardless as no can is 100% leak proof 100% of the time. You'll know when it leaks when you see it on the back glass. Mounted forward, they tend to make a mess of everything before you realize they are leaking. Again, consider weight up there at all times as a tent and fuel are really raising rollover concerns and anything you can get low, put low!

Check the width on your tent! Can you mount it on the rack so it opens forward? That is my consideration for my next tent as I want the options of opening the tent and putting the ladder on the bull-bar! Gives you the option to move without closing the tent if absolutely needed!

The great news is the FR rack is super easy to mount the tent. There is nothing keeping you from putting it anywhere on the rack as long as it fits the rack. I can show you a thread if I can find it on a super easy mounting process for the FR rack and RTT. Gives you the option to mount anywhere with no commitment of permanent mounts on the rack. If I can't find the thread, I'll go dig mine out and take pictures for you. The FR rack is distributed for max load across 100% of the rack like most are. So is the LR roof so keep with Factory LR and FR weight limits and you will be good in that sense. Just because you can carry it, doesn't mean you should for all purposes.

Again, going to the beach to camp, I throw it on the back because it does not matter for me and it is easier for me to get it on the back. If I go off-road or up in the hills, I will never push it back again. It is heavier than my Pelican cases so I distribute as much weight as I can between the axles. I have no experience with other tents outside of my ARB. I love it, kind of like having a hotel room on the roof! However, I will likely find a smaller and much lighter tent when the budget is in line for it.

I hope this helps you in your decision in some way!

Rover on my friend:smiley_drive:

ColoDisco

Explorer
On my LR3 I have it on the rear opening to the drivers side (awning is on passenger side). On my D1's it opened to the rear giving cover for the back door if it was raining. Plus the annex has a zipper door which works well with the D1's back door. I reserve the front of the rack for storage. Wheeling in Moab I didn't notice it at all. I have the CVT mt Shasta. Roughly 150 lbs bedding included.IMG_1266.jpgIMG_3134.jpgIMG_0752.JPG

mass

Observer
I hope this helps you in your decision in some way!

Rover on my friend:smiley_drive:

This is great information and gives me a lot of clarity on how I'm going to set up the rig... especially since you have experimented with both!

I'm glad to know people are running it in front... I'd love to see some photos if you get a chance next time you have it up there.

The weight distro is the primary reason I've wanted to shift it forward, but was concerned as it seems like the back is the go-to spot for most people... which just doesn't make as much sense to me for a long-term journey.

I appreciate all the insight.

I'm no expert by any means; just handing off info that works for me. I'm doing my best to keep all my weight down low. Again every tent is different in weight and size and configuration.

I personally want a smaller and lighter tent but mine is perfect for now. Also, once my sleeping platform is done (#foreverproject) I may not use a tent again and use the rack for kit storage only.

a twig

When we had ours we went over the front for two reasons:

1) Weight distribution
2) Kept everything within the footprint of the vehicle

The ladder hooked onto the front bumper, and it meant that wherever we could fit the vehicle, we could set up camp. Particularly good if you are on small open top ferries in more remote parts.

A couple of times during our travels, a storm blew up and wind changed direction. I was able to hop down, leaving the Mrs tucked up inside, and turn the vehicle so it was pointing into the wind, and nip back up into bed. On another occasion I slowly drove 10m up a track so we were sheltered by a bluff.

We don't tend to travel much these days but if we ever went back to a roof tent, we would always go front mounted.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

1) Weight distribution

The ladder hooked onto the front bumper, and it meant that wherever we could fit the vehicle, we could set up camp. Particularly good if you are on small open top ferries in more remote parts.

A couple of times during our travels, a storm blew up and wind changed direction. I was able to hop down, leaving the Mrs tucked up inside, and turn the vehicle so it was pointing into the wind, and nip back up into bed. On another occasion I slowly drove 10m up a track so we were sheltered by a bluff.

We don't tend to travel much these days but if we ever went back to a roof tent, we would always go front mounted.

Very good feedback! My intent exactly! Forward mount and forward opening is the least footprint and moveable! That's why I need a narrower tent!

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
No first hand experience with the LR3, but on the Disco II, putting the tent aft, as most people do, noticeably unbalances the vehicle. I haven't tried it mounted forward as you are asking, but logic suggests it would be better. You won't feel it on dirt roads, but any technical terrain you will feel the difference.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Side note I wish they made the LR3 hood super strong so you could walk on it. That's the inner child in me talking. Something about just walking on top of a car. :)

mass

Observer

1) Weight distribution

Outstanding. Thanks, twig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz