OBS FORD 350 PSD FWC FB Hawk build

offroadrolls

Observer
I've had several campers over the years and my favorite was my last. It was #261 of 262 Westfalia Airstreams built as a joint venture in 2005 and 2006 between Westfalia and Airstream, it was one heck of a rig. That's where I got bit by the bug for dispersed camping. Anyway, I lost the Westy in a divorce and have been working my way back ever since. After doing a ton of research I happily decided a FWC pop up was the way to go. Mostly because it can be mounted on a truck I already own that's more off road capable than a class B on a Sprinter chassis . This way I can get what I feel is the best soft side pop up camper out there without spending north of 100k on a Sprinter class B and have something that'll go pretty much anywhere I want to go. My current / final wife is super happy too. She wanted an Earth Roamer until I showed her how much they cost. So in lieu of an Earth Roamer, her only criteria for our camper is that it's "offroady looking". You know, sits high and has big tires and bumpers etc. So that's cool, I have an excuse to go shopping and build on a 4x4 truck!
We bought a 2016 FWC Hawk Flat Bed camper that was a demo at Rocky Mountain FWC. I'm glad too because Chris at RM FWC really know how to option these things out so you get what you need and avoid the fluff. We kind of wish it had a cassette toilet and don't really need the indoor shower but it has a whole host of other great / perfect options. Here's a picture of it on Chris's truck, a 2015 Ram Mega Cab 3500 with about 15k in upgrades including the Alum-line flatbed.

IMG_2300.jpg
IMG_2301.jpg

Here it is after we unloaded it at my shop.

IMG_2461.jpg

Here's the 1997 F350 I've owned for about 15 years that we're going to put it on. I used to use this truck more when I had a need to trailer cars around. But for the last several years I use it to haul water to my house and only haul a trailer occasionally. I bought it in 2001 from the original owner with 100k on it. Today it has about 163k on it...........runs nice but it needs some upgrades to be "offroady."

IMG_2450.jpg

So, first thing first. Since it'll need a set of 35's to be offroady, and the front of this beast rides stiff as a rock. I figured the best way to kill 2 birds at once would be to install a shackle reversal kit. This way it'll ride way smoother while gaining about 2.5" added to the 1.5" leveler springs I installed years ago.

IMG_2452.jpg
IMG_2453.jpg
IMG_2455.jpg
IMG_2458.jpg
IMG_2459.jpg

Yippee! Now I get to go shopping for some 35's and next I'll pull the bed off and start building the flatbed. That'll be fun......I've never built one before.
I'd buy one but I know 600 bucks worth of steel when I see it.........

Nbeasley

following this build. I just bought a fwc and love the look of the obs ford so I think that's what I want to end up mounting my camper on.

offroadrolls

Observer
following this build. I just bought a fwc and love the look of the obs ford so I think that's what I want to end up mounting my camper on.

I really like the lines of the OBS. Super Duty's look fat to me. I like the way the truck drives too, compared to the 99+ super duty's. They're tight not cushy.
The thing I like most is is that the lines of the FWC and the OBS really compliment each other. Or least I think they do. We'll see when I get it on the truck.

offroadrolls

Observer
Beautiful! You can't go wrong with FWC or an OBS!

Thanks Pappa, I read your build thread last night. Lots of great info there. That's the best thing about forums is the wealth of knowledge. Really dig your Classic Warn front bumper too. I gotta find one of those. Or build something that's close...............simple clean like an OBS.

offroadrolls

Observer
Today I pulled the bed off the truck but before I got going I ran a couple loads of water out to the house so I could get an idea of where the truck would sit with the flatbed and camper on it and no rear suspension work. (before I did the shackle reversal a load of water would sit the truck level) That's a 425 gallon tank about 4/5's full. Prolly about 2800 pounds or so. It dropped the truck 2.5". Now I have an idea of what will need to be done to the rear suspension in the way of lift. So I'm thinking a 3" lift spring from Atlas Spring as I've heard and read good things about them. (the camper weighs about 1900 lbs.) Plus, I'm gong to run airbags too for added stability and a little more lift if needed.

IMG_2462.jpg

These next pictures are removing the bed. It would have taken about 20 minutes but 4 of the 6 nuts were seized and spinning the bolts so I had to use the grinder to get them undone.

IMG_2465.jpg

IMG_2463.jpg

IMG_2468.jpg

IMG_2470.jpg

Next I ran the truck down to where the camper is stored so I could get some measurements and also so my wife could see if the "ugly old gold truck" would look good with the silver spur FWC. She obviously doesn't appreciate an OBS.

IMG_2473.jpg

IMG_2474.jpg

So the good news is, we got her approval to move forward with the gold truck. I think it looks ok. I'll admit though, grey or silver would look even better. Also,
I'm checking on having the truck wrapped in Arctic Camo. I think that would look great but not sure I want to spend the $$ on something that doesn't make it a better truck.

offroadrolls

Observer
I've been working on the flatbed for the truck but it's going kind of slow only having a couple hours here and there to work on it. Today I did a rear fuel tank conversion. It's a common conversion on the Ford truck to relocate the spare tire, remove the stock rear tank and install a 38 gallon tank meant for full size Bronco. Combined with the stock front tank it'll now have about 54 gallons total capacity. There are plenty of threads on the conversion on the internet. Here's some pictures for reference.
IMG_2507.jpg
IMG_2508.jpg
IMG_2509.jpg
IMG_2514.jpg
IMG_2513.jpg

snowaddict91

Adventurer
That's gonna be some nice range for traveling! I'll be watching your build closely, I'd love to do a flat bed and camper on an obs some day.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I've been working on the flatbed for the truck but it's going kind of slow only having a couple hours here and there to work on it. Today I did a rear fuel tank conversion. It's a common conversion on the Ford truck to relocate the spare tire, remove the stock rear tank and install a 38 gallon tank meant for full size Bronco. Combined with the stock front tank it'll now have about 54 gallons total capacity. There are plenty of threads on the conversion on the internet. Here's some pictures for reference.
View attachment 392902
View attachment 392903
View attachment 392904
View attachment 392905
View attachment 392906

Great mod. Now is the time to do it!

talltroy

Beauty! Who did you get your shackle flip from? I just ordered a 2.5" all the way around from Tuff Country, and could combjne a shackle flip with airbags on the rears -- if all goes according to plan, I should Be towing soon

offroadrolls

Observer
Beauty! Who did you get your shackle flip from? I just ordered a 2.5" all the way around from Tuff Country, and could combjne a shackle flip with airbags on the rears -- if all goes according to plan, I should Be towing soon

I got the shackle reversal kit from Off Road Unlimited. On it's own it lifted the front the truck about 2.5 inches. The kit also comes with sleeves for extending the stabilizer links and a bracket to relocate the lower mounting point for the pan hard bar. I also installed a drop pitman arm, that cost was extra. Sky's Off Road has a kit too. I've been doing shackle reversals on FJ 40's for years. It's a game changer for sure.

talltroy

I got the shackle reversal kit from Off Road Unlimited. On it's own it lifted the front the truck about 2.5 inches. The kit also comes with sleeves for extending the stabilizer links and a bracket to relocate the lower mounting point for the pan hard bar. I also installed a drop pitman arm, that cost was extra. Sky's Off Road has a kit too. I've been doing shackle reversals on FJ 40's for years. It's a game changer for sure.

Hmm. Well now I need a solution for the 2.5" difference the rear won't have. Forgive me, but what exactly is the shackle reversal solving for?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94