Subaru Forester XT

bigskypylot

Explorer
Just talking with a friend about the 2005 Forester XT. I kinda want to get a commuter vehicle in the next year or so and giving some serious consideration to the Subaru XT. I am looking at taking a new job which may require a one-way commute of 500-600mi once/month (depending if I want to stay in Montana or move to Wyoming). I like the thought of an XT that I could upgrade the motor some as well as the suspension for fun forest road exploration and all-weather commuting. I would like to find something with reasonable miles and a cleaner than average body. What can you guys recommend for years to look at and what to look for when considering a project vehicle. My buddy down in Gillette had an old Forester he built up so I am picking his brain ( he says get a 2005) Hard to find an 05 XT manual lol

Any and all info is appreciated!

Thanks in advance :)

BSP

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
That year range is great for what it seems like you're after - think it's 03-08. Good on gas, comfy, capable, and easy / fun to upgrade. Lots of aftermarket in the Subaru world these days.

bigskypylot

Explorer
That year range is great for what it seems like you're after - think it's 03-08. Good on gas, comfy, capable, and easy / fun to upgrade. Lots of aftermarket in the Subaru world these days.

Indeed. I've heard the 04/05 XT is the one to look for. I'd want a manual and it seems those are hard to find

RokStacker

Any particular reason for the 2005? 03-08 are pretty much the same, minus outside body changes... plus few odd changes to the engines that really make no difference.

Cptpackrat

2005 XTs had the larger 565cc injectors and a few minor technical differences that made those little ej255s monsters. You can drop the VF39 from 04-07 STi right on as well as the TMIC with a few small changes to make it all fit right. A good tune and they will be great cruisers and plenty of power. At 330awhp running 30psi on my 05 my IDC was at 62% at WOT and 145mph, at 160mph it was about 75%. That was on a 4eat trans as well. Granted, that was a completely different type of build, but goes to show what those little motors are capable of.

The great thing about the SG5/9 chassis years is that you have a huge amount of aftermarket option, and the market is growing little by little for forester specific parts. 04-STi suspension will bolt on, 05-STi had different strut bolting patterns on the control arm side. However, 02-07 WRX almost every single suspension part will cross over to the Foz chassis. That opens you up for all sorts of rally specific goodies that you wouldnt typically see on the forester. The main thing to look for and to keep in mind is that the forester does pack around a little more weight that its sedan cousin doesnt and so the springs may leave you with "saggy rear", this can be remedied with a strut top spacer offered from a few different places.

bigskypylot

Explorer
2005 XTs had the larger 565cc injectors and a few minor technical differences that made those little ej255s monsters. You can drop the VF39 from 04-07 STi right on as well as the TMIC with a few small changes to make it all fit right. A good tune and they will be great cruisers and plenty of power. At 330awhp running 30psi on my 05 my IDC was at 62% at WOT and 145mph, at 160mph it was about 75%. That was on a 4eat trans as well. Granted, that was a completely different type of build, but goes to show what those little motors are capable of.

The great thing about the SG5/9 chassis years is that you have a huge amount of aftermarket option, and the market is growing little by little for forester specific parts. 04-STi suspension will bolt on, 05-STi had different strut bolting patterns on the control arm side. However, 02-07 WRX almost every single suspension part will cross over to the Foz chassis. That opens you up for all sorts of rally specific goodies that you wouldnt typically see on the forester. The main thing to look for and to keep in mind is that the forester does pack around a little more weight that its sedan cousin doesnt and so the springs may leave you with "saggy rear", this can be remedied with a strut top spacer offered from a few different places.

^^^^What he said^^^^ :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles