Sahara Desert Challenge 2016

ze_zaskar

Observer
Thanks guys, hope you enjoy it.

My whole life I spent countless hours reading trip reports from other travelers.
I can't describe the pleasure of reading a good expedition report on a forum or blog. Way better than a book for me.

If I can provide, at least a bit, to other what others gave to me then I'm happy

Lessons learned in day 4, first offroad day:
- You can't slow down the pace on 500km offroad days. One thing is to travel alone at your own pace, another is to have fixed distances. If you want to have time to rest and take care of the vehicle, you need to floor it
- the 300Tdi gives crazy fuel economy, on some stretches I got 7,5L/100km. Yes, that's 31 US mpg, with an expedition load, in the desert
- High (ish) speed desert is the hardest offroad driving you can imagine on your vehicle. Regular trail driving is not even close. We are talking about hours and hours of vibration, high impacts, dust, everything you can imagine
- The 90 Defender is absolutely king in the sand. The tall tires combined with "light weight" (ours was rolling at about 2600kg max) makes that, I guess. People were suffering while we were idling next to them in 2nd high gear
- We needed auxiliary lights.........

Clintnz

Observer
Great stuff, enjoying your humour & pics! Keep it coming please.

Always good too see some hardcore touring in the SWB too, I can sympathise with the crammed full cabin & saggy bum syndrome :) Before our last trip I did a test pack then decided I absolutely had to make some spring packers for the back to level her up. Time well spent as that extra little bit of travel has prevented quite a few bone jarring bottom outs.

Cheers
Clint

skolioza

Hi All

I'm new to the forum - Ze_zaskar's thread induce me to register here :)

Ze_zaskar - will You continue Your story? Map You added suggests few more days of the trip :)
Looking forward to updates!

Cheers, Skolioza

ze_zaskar

Observer
Hi all,

I'm so sorry for the delay in the report.
Got a new job last March, much, much better than the previous one, but 12h days became a norm and time es verte precious now.

Thank you so much for your patience

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles