3rd Gen Tacoma PSA/Heads up

andrew61987

Observer
My speedo in my 08 was always a bit high. I put 32" tires on my truck and now it's dead on. It's not that big of a deal, especially now that you know.

T-Rey1

Adventurer
Checked mine the other day and was spot on with my Garmin nuvi. Both speedo and nuvi read the same speed. Stock TRD PRO

TwinStick

Explorer
IMHO, the problem would be if it was saying you were going faster than you were. The mileage would rack up faster. Then, your warranty would come to an end sooner. I'd sure have a problem with that.

bkg

Explorer
Not too much to report this week. I finally was able to talk to the gentleman that sent me the "claim denied" letter from Toyota. I was calling him to ask for a "claim denial" letter that actually said what my claim was and that showed me the Toyota specification for speedometer/odometer accuracy. He started talking very quietly and said he wasn't able to send me a letter like that because it would have to go past a review panel and the Toyota Lawyers. I figured that would be his response. I'm now on to dealing with the NCDS (National Center for Dispute Settlement). This is the agency you deal with when you have an issue that either cannot be or has not been fixed by the dealer/manufacturer. They have responded incredibly quickly to my claim. We'll see how this goes.

As for those that think I'm wasting my time, I appreciate your concern, but it irritates me every time I get in and drive the truck. I (probably every Tacoma owner) am getting cheated deliberately by the manufacturer...that bugs me. If by me pushing the issue I get my truck bought back, get a recall/recalibration for other vehicles, or just help others not waste time with this issue I'm good with that. I'm not going to just let them knowingly rip me off though.

-Wes

Nobody is getting cheated. And no one is getting ripped off.

bkg

Explorer
My experience with other brands is that the speedo is off, usually high, and the odometer is usually close to spot on.

I can't find a federal law on cars, but for commercial vehicles it is 5mph at 50mph.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/393.82

Anyway, I would be shocked if the odometer was off by 5% high.

My 2016 taco is 2-3mph high in the speedo at highway speeds based on speed signs.

Yup. And its by design. My f350 is off a tad as well.

Hell, this entire thing could be resolved with an air compressor and running a higher PSI in the tires. And that variable is one additional item mfg's have to account for.

Wonder if the OP's next effort will be to go after tire mfg's for selling a 35" tire that is only 34.7" in diameter.

Best solution is for the OP to sell his truck. But unless he commits to walking only, he's going to have the exact same "issue" with any vehicle he purchases...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94