Questions about Rooftop tent on Xterra

Anthony.V

Observer
I think the "tray" portion is really more a byproduct of the mount design, which looks rather robust. I think the idea is to spread the load across the tray rather than the bars directly, or using cross bars. Although, If you put a little door on it, you could toss something small in there perhaps, cables etc.. Not sure how accessible it would be....but perhaps. That's just a guess on my part.

I'm game to mount the tent straight to the rails if it doesn't cause any detriment to either. Sure would save some dough on any other kind of mount system. This is all hypothetical for me as I don't honestly even know how the tents mount? I've seen heaps of tents going by on the road, but never had a chance to actuality see how they are attached. I assumed u bolts or something of the sort?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I drilled holes through my side bars and bolted through, although the muffler clap method mentioned earlier would be easier.

Regarding the tray under the tent - dude, you posted on a public forum - I reserve the right to comment on it especially when it makes no sense and your statement "the lowest" is not true.

RonapRhys

Adventurer
I think your moab trip plenty qualified as decently extreme lol. Im a novice offroad, so moab would likely be a ways off for me. But it sounds like relocating the RTT to trailer at that point makes sense. I've admired the M416 online. It seems like good examples are getting tougher to find, as a lot of the jeepers have snapped them up. That or I'm just looking in the wrong places online. At any rate, might go that route one day after sharpening my offroad skills without towing anything for now. I'm lousy at backing up trailers on normal terrain lol.

The trails I was doing there are pretty much middle of the road for a mildly-built Xterra (except for Wipe Out Hill, that requires lockers*). 2" of lift, slightly larger tires, and armor will get you there.

I will say that Moab offers a large variety of trails from novice to crazed-nutjob. And, just because I'm an organizer, here's a link to our annual event there...

bigskypylot

Explorer
I drilled holes through my side bars and bolted through, although the muffler clap method mentioned earlier would be easier.

Regarding the tray under the tent - dude, you posted on a public forum - I reserve the right to comment on it especially when it makes no sense and your statement "the lowest" is not true.

No offence taken. I am just saying that you came off as being rather smug. However, I should have said it is one of the lowest... it's the next closest thing to mounting directly to the rails. and yes, the tray is a good mounting system in my opinion.

bigskypylot

Explorer
here are a few photos I just snapped. sorry for the quality but it's about the best i can do with the phone. Hope this shows how low it really is. There are two bolts (1 carriage bolt through the rail and 1 (along with a bushing) that is inboard of the rail attached to another cleat which is attached to the RTT track and roof-tray to a hole we drilled in each of the corners.

It works extremely well and is very stout. On the smaller tents you can get away with just the single attachment point on each corner. After deciding we needed an extra anchor, we went with the additional bolt/bushing/cleat setup. Also, I intend to either mount my RTT to a trailer or to a bed rack on my next vehicle so the tray will remain on the Xterra for a convenient low-profile storage system :)

17273136_1578820422145868_420594039_o.jpg

17310677_1578820402145870_709302533_o.jpg

17310823_1578820398812537_1067551834_o.jpg

17342373_1578820435479200_293175211_o.jpg

17349262_1578820355479208_215023165_o.jpg

17357210_1578820432145867_1588476722_o.jpg

17357527_1578820385479205_2051516515_o.jpg

17357530_1578820418812535_643875244_o.jpg

Anthony.V

Observer
The trails I was doing there are pretty much middle of the road for a mildly-built Xterra (except for Wipe Out Hill, that requires lockers*). 2" of lift, slightly larger tires, and armor will get you there.

I will say that Moab offers a large variety of trails from novice to crazed-nutjob. And, just because I'm an organizer, here's a link to our annual event there...

Great to know! Admittedly, everytime I hear "Moab" my stomach tightens a little lol Awesome that there are trails for a newbie like myself to explore as well. And thanks for the link. The wife and I definitely need to make the pilgrimage some time!

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
I may be a gen1, but I've had my RTT on my X for several years with no issues. Do NOT use the crossbars to mount it and use the main rack tubing. While indeed it does say 125lb, I would agree to it being the dynamic load for safety/roll-overs, but it's been absolutely fine off-roading with it. I'm not sure if it's the same story repeating itself, but it may seem that maybe the Gen2's rack may want to come lose. I found the racking works that well, that I used the Frontier rack on my trailer, and that's been good for the last 2 years. With the 2 of us and the weight of the tent, that rack much be supporting a good 600lbs+

MPG loss with the RTT has been negligible for me. I've done some of my best tanks of fuel with it on, and also the worst. I think worse (along with the knock sensor issue on the gen1) would be more wind related, but I find the X efficiently inefficient.

For mounting, I just had to use longer bolts since the ones that came with the RTT weren't long enough.

Last edited:

Anthony.V

Observer
Great to hear! All your feedback is hugely appreciated! Definitely taking some of the trepidation of of it for me!

broncobowsher

Adventurer
I just mounted a solar panel up there. After that I don't even think of loading anything on top of the roof. Sleep in the back or in a trailer.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
With the cross bars removed from the stock roof rack their is ample space left between a rooftop tent and the Xterra roof for storage. I keep a roll up aluminum table and my ladder stored in that space.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz