Questions about Rooftop tent on Xterra

skip371

Observer
personally I think that's a bad idea.I had a Tepui mounted on my X for a trip accross the TAT and and several weeks wheeling in Moab/ Utah . It worked well for me but eventually sold it to another guy at GONE. It impacted my MPG at 70-80mph to the tune of 3mpg. I felt I was able to stealth camp easier with a small tent. It was very good and comfortable but I felt like..and my wife did too, that it presented to many comprimises for us..in the roof position. On a trailer would be perfect, which is what the guy I sold it to did use it for. Plus having the roof free for gear was a plus . I felt that in an intense off road experience.(MOAB)/Kanab... off camber~particularly that additional weight up top just made me too nervous.
There was a thread a while ago with a guy bitching how his Tepui floor was warping and just horrible. We were trying to figure out what happened and why it had only happened to him... I belive if I recall corretly he did what you suggested and mounted the tent directly to the rails. IMHO those rails provide stuctural rigidity to the floor and are an essential part of the design .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier