Questions about Rooftop tent on Xterra

Anthony.V

Observer
Hello all,

I apologize in advance if these questions have been done to death. I've searched and searched, here and online but can't seem to find anything definitive.

So here goes. I have a 12 Xterra with the stock roof rack. I've seen heaps of Xterras, even with the stock rack hauling RTT's seemingly without any trouble, but here are my concerns:

-Weight on the roof/rack. My wife and I are big people. The two of us total almost 500lbs. Most of the folks I've seen using them wouldn't equal our combined weight. I understand that they make them for four and 5+ people, and the tents themselves are designed to take the weight. But add the combined weight of one of those tents and ours and your looking at something like 650-700+lbs on those tubular rails. I also understand you can spread the weight out on crossbars, but distributed evenly or not, thats a lot of weight up there! Does anyone have any experience with this much weight on those stock rails, or just that kind of weight in general? I know the roof is designed to resist collapse in a rollover, but what kind of static weight can be applied before damage?

-Increasing already high CG. I typically would try to bypass any high roll inducing obstacle offroad, especially loaded up. But sometimes there's just no avoiding them. What's been your experience hauling that extra 150+pounds of tent up there on roll inducing obstacles? Am I worried for nothing?

-Fuel economy. The Xterra is a "smiles per gallon" sort of vehicle to begin with. What sort of mpg loss are you folks seeing hauling that square slab through the wind? I know they've got the more aero friendly tents that fold down "bullet shape." But those look to be substantially more expensive. Might be worth the extra cost though if they're substantially less detrimental to "efficiency."

Thanks in advance!

Obviously the rack is different on a second gen Xterra, but on my 2004 the plastic bases for the rack were stamped saying a max weight of 125 pounds on the rack total. I took my rack off to cover it in herculiner and can confirm, at least on the first gens, that they are aluminum tubes in plastic bases. There isn't any metal reinforcement in the bases. I think once you start talking about 600+ pounds, you have to worry about crushing the plastic bases and possibly denting the roof where the bases contact it. The structure of the roof is designed to survive a rollover, but the rack bases just rest on sheet metal. I'd consider converting the interior to a sleeping area or go with a conventional tent long before I'd put an RTT on the stock rack, irrespective of the weight of the potential occupants of the RTT. Unless, of course, they did something vastly different with the second gen rack. I suppose an alternative would be something aftermarket, like Gobi rack, that completely replaces the stock rack. I'm not sure what type of weight that is rated for.

Anthony.V

Observer
Denting the roof at the bases of the post is really my largest concern in the damaging the roof aspect.

I think in the manual, for the 2012 the roof rack is rated at 250 lbs max "dynamic weight." Dynamic meaning, going down the road at highway speed. I've heard the stock second gen rack taking in access of 400+lbs static without any problems. Just want to see if anybody had experience with the type of loads I'd be looking at without problems.

The dynamic rating is easy to come by, but the max static anybody has done without problems had been far more illusive. Which, might be a good sign in a way. With the number of second gens running RTT if somebody wrecked their roof you'd think you'd hear about it somewhere.

Just trying not to take a expensive dice roll on this one.

Last edited:

Anthony.V

Observer
bigskypylot, what is your total weight of occupants+tent? Who makes your mounting base? Or is that a custom piece?

bigskypylot

Explorer
bigskypylot, what is your total weight of occupants+tent? Who makes your mounting base? Or is that a custom piece?

With two people in it roughly 350-450#, tent is 175# rooftray is from MaxGear. Dave is in SLC area. His handle on here is Maxterra. He did my rear bumper as well. His work is top notch

bigskypylot

Explorer
If you want to PM your email, I can send two PDFs that detail the tray and mounting an RTT to it. Dave doesn't have a website. It's more word of mouth. He keeps extremely busy

Anthony.V

Observer
If you want to PM your email, I can send two PDFs that detail the tray and mounting an RTT to it. Dave doesn't have a website. It's more word of mouth. He keeps extremely busy

That would be great! I'll shoot that PM right now.

So sounds like your at about 625# mark max with occupants and tent. With your rack mount setup would you have reservations about pushing it to the 650-700#total mark where we would be? I feel like I'm might be way over thinking things. But I'd much rather be safe than sorry on this one. I don't think my insurance company would be receptive to covering "damage due to occupancy," lol

bigskypylot

Explorer
That would be great! I'll shoot that PM right now.

So sounds like your at about 625# mark max with occupants and tent. With your rack mount setup would you have reservations about pushing it to the 650-700#total mark where we would be? I feel like I'm might be way over thinking things. But I'd much rather be safe than sorry on this one. I don't think my insurance company would be receptive to covering "damage due to occupancy," lol

Nope. You'd be fine

I have an older Eezi-Awn on an 06. Empty weight is 140# no problems after the first season. The profile is not as high as the CVT's and I have not noticed much loss in mpg on long hauls to Moab. Xterra running light I'm in the 20-22mpg range loaded I'm at 18 highway and 16 on graded dirt and lower gearing. Granted it's a 6 speed manual trans and I keep the rpm low at speed. The thing I noticed adding an RTT was the back leafs (factory) need to be up graded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigskypylot

Explorer
I have an older Eezi-Awn on an 06. Empty weight is 140# no problems after the first season. The profile is not as high as the CVT's and I have not noticed much loss in mpg on long hauls to Moab. Xterra running light I'm in the 20-22mpg range loaded I'm at 18 highway and 16 on graded dirt and lower gearing. Granted it's a 6 speed manual trans and I keep the rpm low at speed. The thing I noticed adding an RTT was the back leafs (factory) need to be up graded.

definitely need an upgrade. The Timbrens help, too! I get around 12-15 regardless of what I am doing with my rig lol

Anthony.V

Observer

Thanks for the info!

Slightly off topic, but when you guys were stock rear (height and spring), did you find even with just passengers in the rear seats, the suspension bottoming over sharp compressions?

Upgrading to the 5100's, especially over the tired factory units helped immensely with this, but still find with even two adults in the back seats the rear suspension bottoms over sharp compressions. Hoping the added height of the lift shackles helps to keep the rear from eating through the bump travel so quickly when loaded.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier