Alternative to ARB fridge slide

andy29847

Adventurer
I used drawer slides from Orvis to build a sliding shelf for the generator for my car hauler. I didn't pay the extra for the locking slide. Rigging my own lock was easy.

http://www.ovisonline.com/Drawer-Slides-C4.aspx

IMG_2339-XL.jpg

IMG_2340-XL.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Shadow-Trailer/i-rHPR2xF/0/1280/IMG_2355-1280.mp4

My HDJ81 had a custom storage system already made and installed when I got it - the builder had a spot for the fridge, but didn't make it wide enough to fit an ARB fridge slide.
My solution was a set of 400 lb locking Accuride slides mounted flat, and a piece of plywood.

So far so good.

This looks nice/EZ! How long have you had it installed? How much does your loaded fridge way? I used similar looking sliders to build mi own fridge slide, but didn't know that mounting them flat was an option. Looks easier/lighter as long as the sliders still work properly and maintain their strength.

I agree that I didn't save much money by doing it my self, maybe 100 bucks, but it was the only way I was going to fit the fridge where I wanted it and it keeps the fridge lower than any option I had seen on the market.
Here is a video I made on my process if anyone is interested. Its the angle iron style referred to by the original poster.
I admit it isn't as entertaining as our travel episodes, but I'm trying to be helpful :)

bj70_guy

Adventurer
This looks nice/EZ! How long have you had it installed? How much does your loaded fridge way? I used similar looking sliders to build mi own fridge slide, but didn't know that mounting them flat was an option. Looks easier/lighter as long as the sliders still work properly and maintain their strength.

It's been installed since last summer, fridge never comes out of the truck. I think the ARB weighs around 50 lb? Fill it with beer and bacon maybe adds 15-20? Don't know, never weighed it.
The slides are rated to 400lb in standard configuration. Mounting them flat downgrades the weight rating substantially, but I doubt my 70 lbs is going to be an issue. It feels good and sturdy. The just isn't enough space there to mount slides any way but flat.

I'm really happy with it so far, especially since I didn't have to redo the storage system to fit a slide!

It's been installed since last summer, fridge never comes out of the truck. I think the ARB weighs around 50 lb? Fill it with beer and bacon maybe adds 15-20? Don't know, never weighed it.
The slides are rated to 400lb in standard configuration. Mounting them flat downgrades the weight rating substantially, but I doubt my 70 lbs is going to be an issue. It feels good and sturdy. The just isn't enough space there to mount slides any way but flat.

I'm really happy with it so far, especially since I didn't have to redo the storage system to fit a slide!

OK, that makes sense. Go with slides rated for way more weight than what you intend to put on them if you are mounting them sideways. Cool, creative solution

dstefan

DFG Offroad makes great aluminum slides that only weigh 15 lbs IIRC. Very stout. V.good quality. Love mine with ARB 50qt. He also does tilts and slide out counter combos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier