Dual Battery Questions

rayra

Expedition Leader
Brilliant !
Add an energised solenoid coil to constantly draw on a camping battery whilst parked...
Bonus points.. Solenoids typically draw higher current than conventional relays.

Seriously, While that above quoted solenoid scenario will 'work', its bad idea.

Like I said, snark and flat pronouncements with no attempt to convey useful information or actually educate. I'm beginning to think your maladroitness is due to autism.

/whereas my own is merely being an old and fed-up *******

eta huh. Went to look at Verkstad profile for what I expected to be a fount of useful reference information and conveyed expert experience. Much to my surprise it appears he hasn't started a single topic in seven years. Maybe I'm clicking the wrong link.

Last edited:

slowtwitch

Adventurer
Ditch the fridge and get a top tier cooler.

As others have said, better to keep the main vehicle battery, the main vehicle battery, and have a switch for second battery if you can't start.

I went with Hellroaring Technologies.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Like I said, snark and flat pronouncements with no attempt to convey useful information or actually educate.

1a to keep a non-latching solenoid engaged. 24 amp*hours a day energy burned just to tie the aux battery to the chassis electrical system so the radio can be used while camping.

Waste of power, dumb idea. Consider yourself educated.

I'm beginning to think your maladroitness is due to autism.

I'm beginning to think if anyone says anything to you that is not, "Ray, you are so cool and your projects are so inspiring and you have such mad, leet skillz", that your panties get twisted in a knot that is impossible for you to ever untangle.

But seriously, if you have a dumb idea and someone says it's a dumb idea, that is NOT "snark". That's just you having a dumb idea and nobody bothering to pussyfoot around so as to break it to you gently.

Grow up. Protecting your fragile ego isn't anyone else's problem.

Last edited:

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
the simple answer is a cutoff switch at the main battery positive,
That is a solution if you are not running a high-amp alternator. When I looked for a switch that I could use to completely disconnect the starting battery from the truck's computers and ancillary systems, I did not find one that would handle the 270 amp alternator while charging. May be something out there (other than a bif rotary switch like Blue Seas), but I did not find. If OP's Sub has the standard alternator at 105 amps (+/-), that is an option.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Way overkill for what I wanted, which was a simple mechanical kill switch that I could use to totally disconnect the starting battery. Might also be used to immobilize the truck (redneck security system), except that with my triple battery setup the truck will start and run even if the starting battery is removed from the truck. And my winch pulls about 440 amps max, so that needs to be considered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior