The paradox of choice

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
There have been ample times when my fleet of bikes has included up to 6-8 current model, premium bikes of various formats. The reality is, even in those situations I tend to still grab the same bike or two, maybe a third now and then. It's a romantic notion to be spoiled for choice, but I think once you settle into a bike you like, it's really all you need.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Ha ha....Like guitars Christophe, I have about 30 now....I want 30 bikes and 30 motorcycles and 30 vehicles...ha ha!

TwinStick

Explorer
I am 54 yrs old now. I still ride, just not so much as I used to. Me & the wife both have mens GT Transio 3.0 now. Got rid of the MT bikes. But now bikes are like everything else, just too darn many choices. It truly IS daunting, to pick or buy a bike today. When I was little, I distinctly remember going to buy my first pair of sneakers. There were only 3 kinds to choose from: Converse, Nike or PJ Flyers (the drug store no name el cheapo's). Thats it. Pick one. Easy peasy. Not much is like that anymore. I see it every single time I go to ANY store. People, standing there in total confusion, because there are too many choices. Has anyone looked at shotguns lately ? OMG ! You used to be able to buy one shotgun that would shoot bird shot, buck shot or the cheap $5/box deer slugs. Now, the ONLY way you can get one to shoot all of those is to buy a "tactical shotgun" & anything that is quality, black in color & tactical, is over $600. Every single year that I have been hunting since I got a "tactical" shotgun, the Dept of Environmental Conservation Officers have always stopped me & gave me a stupid look & asked "why do you hunt deer with a tactical shotgun ?" I reply: "because it is the only thing that will shoot bird shot, buck shot & the $5/box cheap deer slugs, with no choke & the same barrel. I was in HD the other day for an hour. When I walked in, there was an older guy looking at screws. When I left, he was still there, in the same isle. I laughed as I walked by & said "too many choices huh ? " He said, man you ain't kidding ! LOL

I never thought I would live long enough to see TV's that are too big, stereo speakers get so small & still sound good, vehicle lights that are too bright & just too darn many choices ! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH----I have become my parents ! LOL

Last edited:

p nut

butter
I am 54 yrs old now. I still ride, just not so much as I used to. Me & the wife both have mens GT Transio 3.0 now. Got rid of the MT bikes. But now bikes are like everything else, just too darn many choices. It truly IS daunting, to pick or buy a bike today. When I was little, I distinctly remember going to buy my first pair of sneakers. There were only 3 kinds to choose from: Converse, Nike or PJ Flyers (the drug store no name el cheapo's). Thats it. Pick one. Easy peasy. Not much is like that anymore. I see it every single time I go to ANY store. People, standing there in total confusion, because there are too many choices. Has anyone looked at shotguns lately ? OMG ! You used to be able to buy one shotgun that would shoot bird shot, buck shot or the cheap $5/box deer slugs. Now, the ONLY way you can get one to shoot all of those is to buy a "tactical shotgun" & anything that is quality, black in color & tactical, is over $600. Every single year that I have been hunting since I got a "tactical" shotgun, the Dept of Environmental Conservation Officers have always stopped me & gave me a stupid look & asked "why do you hunt deer with a tactical shotgun ?" I reply: "because it is the only thing that will shoot bird shot, buck shot & the $5/box cheap deer slugs, with no choke & the same barrel. I was in HD the other day for an hour. When I walked in, there was an older guy looking at screws. When I left, he was still there, in the same isle. I laughed as I walked by & said "too many choices huh ? " He said, man you ain't kidding ! LOL

I never thought I would live long enough to see TV's that are too big, stereo speakers get so small & still sound good, vehicle lights that are too bright & just too darn many choices ! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH----I have become my parents ! LOL

I don't know....since I'd consider myself a bike geek, I love all the choices we have. It probably all depends on your level of familiarity in cycling gear, but even if you aren't, you really CAN'T go wrong when picking a bike in the genre you desire. And even mixed genre-- i.e. You want a fast road bike that you can take on dirt roads? Trek Domane, Salsa Colossal, and even a number of CX bikes will fit the job. A dirt road tour that you can also shred singletracks? Diamondback Haanjo, Salsa Warbird, etc. There are a LOT of choices, but you'd really have to try to pick the wrong bike.

monkeyrider

Observer
Thanks for all of the feedback and advice. I'm starting to sort things out and getting ready to buy a new bike. My budget is tight. I'm selling both of my single speeds to get a bike with a derailleur. I can't afford full suspension now. I've narrowed my choices to three bikes. Niner EMD 29er, Salsa Timberjack 27+, or the Cannondale Cujo 2, 27+. The Timberjack is more than I'd like to spend. I love Salsa's bikes, but can't swing it now. The Cujo and EMD are within my budget. So the question is 29er vs 27+. Geometry is pretty different on each bike. Test rides are not an option. Local shops do not have either bike in stock so I'd have to order it.

The trails here are pretty rugged so I like the idea of 27.5x3 tires.

Thoughts?

monkeyrider

Observer

I read Grant's book many years ago. Full of wisdom, much of it good. I don't remember him addressing single speeds, maybe he did. I don't believe Grant sells a SS model at Rivendell. Which model do you ride? His bikes are damn nice, but I think I'll let technology like a suspension fork, gears, and big tires help my tired old bones assist my off-road riding. Appreciate the advice though.

southpier

Expedition Leader
... Which model do you ride? ....

ha ha! I had all I could do to afford the book & a t-shirt. maybe someday, but I think reality has caused the Company to drift into things other than those discussed in the Rivendell Reader of days gone by. I mean ... how many top tubes is too (two) many...? i'd rather buy an old bike and work on it for a few hundred bucks worth of parts and untold fun than drop 5 grand on something someone else made.

I love my Surly LHT and hope to have the '84 Peugeot P-18 on the road by july. but I do have newbaum cloth & twine shellaced wrapped bars! matches the brooks b-17 saddle fairly well. beeswax? nah.

p nut

butter
Thanks for all of the feedback and advice. I'm starting to sort things out and getting ready to buy a new bike. My budget is tight. I'm selling both of my single speeds to get a bike with a derailleur. I can't afford full suspension now. I've narrowed my choices to three bikes. Niner EMD 29er, Salsa Timberjack 27+, or the Cannondale Cujo 2, 27+. The Timberjack is more than I'd like to spend. I love Salsa's bikes, but can't swing it now. The Cujo and EMD are within my budget. So the question is 29er vs 27+. Geometry is pretty different on each bike. Test rides are not an option. Local shops do not have either bike in stock so I'd have to order it.

The trails here are pretty rugged so I like the idea of 27.5x3 tires.

Thoughts?

I would go 27.5+ for sure. Sounds like you need the cush more than speed. 27.5 will be plenty fast and 3" tires will be a good compromise between HT and FS. I'd even say look at a fat bike. They can easily fit 27.5 Plus or 29" wheels, but give you that extra plushness of 4"-5" tires when you need it. There should be a TON of used ones on the market now for a killer price.

monkeyrider

Observer
I would go 27.5+ for sure. Sounds like you need the cush more than speed. 27.5 will be plenty fast and 3" tires will be a good compromise between HT and FS. I'd even say look at a fat bike. They can easily fit 27.5 Plus or 29" wheels, but give you that extra plushness of 4"-5" tires when you need it. There should be a TON of used ones on the market now for a killer price.

Monday I ordered a Cannondale Cujo 2 from a local bike shop. It should arrive soon. Timberjacks are pretty much gone for now.

I do own a 9zero7 fatbike. I've been riding it in the interim. I've been spending a lot of time on my Salsa Casseroll on gravel forest service roads and pavement as well. A fatbike without a Bluto is fun, but kind of like riding a bronco. The rebound is wicked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles