Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The paradox of choice

I read Grant's book many years ago. Full of wisdom, much of it good. I don't remember him addressing single speeds, maybe he did. I don't believe Grant sells a SS model at Rivendell. Which model do you ride? His bikes are damn nice, but I think I'll let technology like a suspension fork, gears, and big tires help my tired old bones assist my off-road riding. Appreciate the advice though.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyrider View Post
    ... Which model do you ride? ....
    ha ha! I had all I could do to afford the book & a t-shirt. maybe someday, but I think reality has caused the Company to drift into things other than those discussed in the Rivendell Reader of days gone by. I mean ... how many top tubes is too (two) many...? i'd rather buy an old bike and work on it for a few hundred bucks worth of parts and untold fun than drop 5 grand on something someone else made.

I love my Surly LHT and hope to have the '84 Peugeot P-18 on the road by july. but I do have newbaum cloth & twine shellaced wrapped bars! matches the brooks b-17 saddle fairly well. beeswax? nah.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyrider View Post
    Thanks for all of the feedback and advice. I'm starting to sort things out and getting ready to buy a new bike. My budget is tight. I'm selling both of my single speeds to get a bike with a derailleur. I can't afford full suspension now. I've narrowed my choices to three bikes. Niner EMD 29er, Salsa Timberjack 27+, or the Cannondale Cujo 2, 27+. The Timberjack is more than I'd like to spend. I love Salsa's bikes, but can't swing it now. The Cujo and EMD are within my budget. So the question is 29er vs 27+. Geometry is pretty different on each bike. Test rides are not an option. Local shops do not have either bike in stock so I'd have to order it.

The trails here are pretty rugged so I like the idea of 27.5x3 tires.

Thoughts?

I would go 27.5+ for sure. Sounds like you need the cush more than speed. 27.5 will be plenty fast and 3" tires will be a good compromise between HT and FS. I'd even say look at a fat bike. They can easily fit 27.5 Plus or 29" wheels, but give you that extra plushness of 4"-5" tires when you need it. There should be a TON of used ones on the market now for a killer price.

Quote Originally Posted by p nut View Post
    I would go 27.5+ for sure. Sounds like you need the cush more than speed. 27.5 will be plenty fast and 3" tires will be a good compromise between HT and FS. I'd even say look at a fat bike. They can easily fit 27.5 Plus or 29" wheels, but give you that extra plushness of 4"-5" tires when you need it. There should be a TON of used ones on the market now for a killer price.
    Monday I ordered a Cannondale Cujo 2 from a local bike shop. It should arrive soon. Timberjacks are pretty much gone for now.

I do own a 9zero7 fatbike. I've been riding it in the interim. I've been spending a lot of time on my Salsa Casseroll on gravel forest service roads and pavement as well. A fatbike without a Bluto is fun, but kind of like riding a bronco. The rebound is wicked.

I picked up my bike on Friday. Just a couple of rides under my belt so far, but I love it.

0527171839.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123