Expedition Mitsubishi Challenger

L8 APEKS

Observer
Can you get away with the stock alternator and all those accessories?

How does that switching power work between the 2 batteries...does it sense when your cranking battery is full, and then charge the aux battery?

mrbishi

Adventurer
The stock alternator is 90 amp so copes easily.

I am running an ARB dual battery solenoid.

Got an Asus eeePc for my birthday - going to run it hooked up to my garmin for mapping duties as well as music / video playing through my car stereo.

3109444739_6c86b5f2ff_o.jpg

allochris

Adventurer
Hey, i have both Asus eee pc & Garmin etrex too! Can I have more info how u hook the Etrex to the Asus for navigation?

Emmanuel

DIY invisi-mask and window tint...?
Has anyone tried this stuff? I just ordered the invisi-mask for the rockers and rear fenders. I hope I can get it on correctly.

I also want to get my windows tinted, but there is only one guy in town and he wants $350. This place has a pre-cut kit for $90. I'm more unsure of doing the tint myself vs. the invisi-mask stuff. Has any one tried either of these products?

3M ScotchGard Clear Bra and Paint Protection for your car
BT Catch Can
BT SRT Nose Emblem
Eibach Pro-Kit
Techco Strut Brace
5000K HID Fogs
SS Door Sills
50% Tint

1965 Coronet 2-door post, 440 cross ram

mrbishi

Adventurer
Ok its been a while since I posted so I thought I'd update you all on whats going on.

Have some new goodies coming to be fitted out.

The suspension is pretty knackered after a lot of hard offroad kilometers so I have some new stuff on the way.

I decided to go with some Boss 12 way Adjustable shock absorbers. They are a pretty new brand over here but a lot of hardcore trucks are running them and they are proving to be really good.

Some of the features:

* 12 way adjustable dampening
* 60mm body
* 22mm shaft features female thread to enable any combination of top mounting
* female thread in the base of shock bottom for combination of bottom configuration
* Oil/foam filled twin tube construction
* Durable rubber boot protection
* virtually any length available
* can be mounted upside down for less unsprung weight
* forged pin or loops, chrome plated for durability

boss_shocks_1_copy_400_03.jpg

At the same time as I fit these I'll also be fitting new greasable rear shackles and bushes.

I've also located some AVM free wheeling hubs to be fitted and a Rancho 5000 steering damper suitable for the Challenger.

I'll be sure to post pictures once I have the gear!

mrbishi

Adventurer
A couple of pictures of a recent (wet) camping trip we took to Dwellingup, Western Australia (one of our favourite close spots to escape to/explore).

My g/f behind the wheel offroad for the first time - she absolutely loved it and had a blast. I think I'll have a fight on my hands from now on as to who gets to drive offroad :D

3826504920_2c1e70af4f.jpg

At camp

3825684695_4279a15d64.jpg

Some of the fireroads that typically criss cross the area.

3825704925_6864536cb0.jpg

3826491520_cf569d6f31.jpg

Parked up on the way home taking some photos of an abandoned farmhouse

3826495040_efcce82110.jpg

soonenough

Explorer
mrbishi - just wanted to say that I love your Challenger...it's one of my favorite vehicles on ExPo.

I noticed in the last set of pictures you didn't have the netbook in the car - are you still using it or did you find it cumbersome to use out on the road? I ask because I just got an HP Mini netbook and I'm debating whether to go to the trouble of mounting it in my truck to use with GPS.

mrbishi

Adventurer
Thanks :) She'll also be getting a snorkel soon and I think I'm going to rebuild the rear storage (got a few more ideas after a lot of trips).

I haven't yet used the netbook - the problem is I can't get my GPS to talk to it when I'm running Easy Peasy (and Ubuntu Linux Distribution). I haven't tried windows yet.

Another option I found is that some of the onroad GPS devices here can be hacked to runn OziExplorer - so I'm leaning toward that at the moment to run topo/offroad maps on top of my Garmin.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Nice setup Misterbishi. You're now the 2nd Misterbishi I know from down under. The first one (Frank) ran a 95 or 96 Pajero that was very heavily modified. Things didn't work out with his Paj (I don't recall what happened) and I think he's running a LC now.

I like your awning setup. Any details on how you did it?

mrbishi

Adventurer
For my awning I went to a shop that worked with canvas for caravans, boats etc. and told them what I wanted.

Basically the awning fits into a piece of sail track on 1 side and the the other 3 sides have zips on them (so I can zip extensions on or make it enclosed. It uses 2 poles that extended out from a bracket on the sail track and then on pole across the front to keep it rigid. Then 2 uprights. I'll take a close up picture of the various sections next time I have it out.

mrbishi

Adventurer
Couple of interior shots:

interior_1.jpg

Communications are handled by a GME TX4400 UHF radio with external speaker (top right). Two Zone wireless temperature gauge - shows me the temp in the cabin and inside my Engel. Digital Volt meter keeps an eye on the batteries.

interior_2.jpg

Garmin Legend CX for mapping duties (looking to get a second device to run OziExplorer as well). Missile switches control front and rear spotlights as well as the battery joiner for jump starting.

interior_3.jpg

7 Watt LED torch & GME 5watt Handheld UHF

interior_4.jpg

interior_5.jpg

New seat covers - to keep mud and red dirt off the seats.

interior_6.jpg

Last edited:

mrbishi

Adventurer
Decided to have a look at the low hanging rear bar.

rearbar1.jpg

My plan was to slot it in and bolt it back on the top mounts and then have a cutout in the bumper for the hitch.

rearbar2.jpg

Of course its about 2mm too wide to slot in above the chasis and bolt on - I'm sure it could be "pursuaded" with the right equipment.

For now I've taken it off completely (don't tow often at all) and will fit 2 recovery hooks direct to the chasis. A friend is going to help me fit up dual swing out carriers (1 tire, 1 jerry) once hes finished a whole heap of fab work for others in late October.

The idea will be to run some brackets off each side, inside the bumper from the chasis and have the pivot pop out through the plastic on each side - should look rather tidy!

rearbar3.jpg

Also got my iPhone ram mount. It's bolted to the dash and is a solid bit of kit. I think I'll be getting one for my GPS as well. Waiting on some cables so I can run a single cable from the iphone that wil split to 12v charger and a 3.5mm out to run into my head unit.

Now I just need to get my iPhone jail broken and load up that offline mapping software and see if I can get it working.

interior_night_iphone.jpg

interior_night_iphone2.jpg

apsilon

Observer
Your Challenger is awesome mate. Too bad we're on opposite sides of the country, I'd love to see it first hand.

mrbishi

Adventurer
Cheers Apsilon - I've seen your truck on the other forums and it also looks damn nice. Pity we're at the opposite sides of Aus!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94