1988 Pickup SR5 in Washington

gmtech

Observer
yea. I do a lot of alignments where I work . and if you have a older car or one that will not adjust into spec. you can just tweak the alignment head on the wheel to make the measurements change into spec. and every one likes seeing green better than red on their print out =)
just thought that was funny when I saw your print out. cause ive done the same thing

RumRunnerS2k

yea. I do a lot of alignments where I work . and if you have a older car or one that will not adjust into spec. you can just tweak the alignment head on the wheel to make the measurements change into spec. and every one likes seeing green better than red on their print out =)
just thought that was funny when I saw your print out. cause ive done the same thing

Who knows maybe they're magicians. They do my race car, so there might be some go fast voodoo going on there. Likely, they are trying to trick me into believing they were able to drastically adjust a solid rear axle. I fell for it until you mentioned how would they adjust it. Then I was like.... ****** your right!

Crenshaw

Adventurer
Awesome truck and it looks like you have some great access to fun places to explore! I've not ever used maxtrax to vouch for how important they are to have- but having just a tow strap and hi-lift can save your *** (and whoever else you might run into). I've used the hi-lift on a few occasions as a dirtbag winch with fairly good success, and it's a lot better than being helpless!

NMBruce

Adventurer
Hey Guys!

Glad I found this site. I’m very new to the 4×4/overlanding scene, as I have been a car guy most of my life. After my S2000 turned into my track car and snow left me stuck at home this winter, I decided to purchase an 1988 Toyota pickup SR5. All I’ve really done to it is change almost every fluid, replace leaking gaskets, new clutch, add a leaf to the rear sagging/flat leaves, canopy, rear bumper with recovery point, 265/75r16 Cooper Discoverer AT3 on the way, and truck-lite headlights (game changer from the OEM dim candles that were in there). Working on some rust spots and then going to rattle can or roll on some paint. Basically, I don’t want to mod it until I go out to see if it needs anything else. I’m hoping to keep this rig under $7k total because its just not worth it to keep spending on an old rig like this.

Anyway, hope to meet a few members on here and find some cool 4×4 spots.

– Devin

very cool, I had a couple of each, 2-87 Toyota 4x4 and 2002 S2000 and a 2008 CR. For many years I was an instructor at HSDE

enjoy both, you have some great vehicles there

RumRunnerS2k

very cool, I had a couple of each, 2-87 Toyota 4x4 and 2002 S2000 and a 2008 CR. For many years I was an instructor at HSDE

enjoy both, you have some great vehicles there

Thanks man! Yeah bot are great and affordable platforms. I feel like Ill be in for a few muddy months here in the PNW, so we shall see how the little truck does.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Who knows maybe they're magicians. They do my race car, so there might be some go fast voodoo going on there. Likely, they are trying to trick me into believing they were able to drastically adjust a solid rear axle. I fell for it until you mentioned how would they adjust it. Then I was like.... ****** your right!

No magic. Your rear axle was crooked on the leaf springs with the right wheel (-0.9mm out) slightly behind the left wheel (1.6mm in). Just had to loosen some bolts and shift things around a bit until they got similar readings. In this case 1.2mm evened things out pretty well.

Ever see a pickup that looked like it's rear end was driving to one side or the other when compared to the front? Same thing.

RumRunnerS2k

I know the bushings in my shackle and leafs (Im sure every bushing in the truck) are basically disintegrated. Hopefully the damn axle will stay in place!

Ireland

Adventurer
Hi there, nice rig :)
I wonder if you wouldn't mind posting a part number for the headlights, or a link to the website where I could find them, thank you.

gmtech

Observer
Toyotas don't have pins in the axles to pin them to the leaf springs? so they don't slide around?. im not familiar never taken one apart. gm's do.

RumRunnerS2k

Well the PNW has been miserable lately, so I headed east of the cascades in the King Ranch to my family cabin on the Wenatchee river. What a beautiful day.

IMG_20170403_112729.jpg

The snow was melting so I knew finding back roads would be impossible. In fact, every back road was closed :( So I spend most of my saturday in the YJ on pavement looking for dirt or dirty snow to drive on. I hate everything about this jeep. Skyjacker lift, 33" tires on dana 35 rear end. We got it for next to nothing like this, but really its a piece of junk. I'm way more confident in my 88 pickup with 275k miles on it.

IMG_20161022_133503357.jpg

Since I knew mud would be the next medium my Toyota would be driving on, I decided to pick up some recovery gear and a small DEEZEE box to throw my camping stuff in. I mounted the HiLift on my rear bumper, but everything else is just strapped on the front of my bed. Wish I would come up with a cooler mounting system for the MaxTrax knockoffs, but I'm focused on my S2000 at the moment. I really dont want to spend any more money on the truck itself, which is why I'm getting recovery gear that can transfer to any other rig I pick up in the next few years.

IMG_20170405_171504.jpg

IMG_20170405_171111.jpg

Toy-Cra-Ze

Is your camper shell off of a 1st gen Tacoma? Looks like it fits pretty good and looking to do the same maybe with my xtra cab

Crenshaw

Adventurer
Are you planning on relocating your license plate? I'm always paranoid about that, occasionally my trasharoo slides over on the tailgate and blocks it.

RumRunnerS2k

Is your camper shell off of a 1st gen Tacoma? Looks like it fits pretty good and looking to do the same maybe with my xtra cab

Yes it was off a Taco, but Im not sure if it was built specifically for that truck either. There is a small gap between the cab and the shell (because of the difference in angle of the cab), but otherwise the fitment over the bed is perfect.

Are you planning on relocating your license plate? I'm always paranoid about that, occasionally my trasharoo slides over on the tailgate and blocks it.

Not yet. I don't have a front plate either and no issues. At some point i might move it up, but its only obstructed when I have the jack installed. I don't daily the truck with it on there so I don't feel compelled to move it yet. We have some toll bridges and toll lanes so I'm hoping the jack will obstruct it from the cameras.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles