Aluminum drawer/sleeping platorm

So like the title says i finally got spare time to start my sleeping platform. After months if not years of looking around on expedition portal i came up with a design that i thought was worth putting money and time into. I wanna say thanks to everyone who shared there ideas and thats why im doing the same here. Sorry in advance if i sound like a robot or if i wright like a 4 year old but im French haha.

My sleeping platform will be built in the box off my toyota tacoma access cab with a leer shell, the shell is same height as the tacoma roof so head room is very limited. I wanted the sleeping platform to stay as low as possible. With such small space every square inch counts, using 2x4 lumber was out, takes too much space for the structural strenght. Then theres plywood... 3/4 " is the most common but it still takes a lot of space in the end, is a bit heavy and i just dont like using screws everywhere.

Being a welder/fabricator, using 1"x1" x 1/8" aluminum tube for the platform stucture was the obvious choice to me. Its light, strong ´ish' and doesnt take a lot of space. There will be 2 drawers, one will be a 14" wide 8" high and 54" long and will house the kitchen with two burner stove and a sink. A 21 gallon water tank will sit at the end of the box under the platform, the tank is 39"x 16" x 8" so it was ment to be there. The second drawer will be 25 1/2" wide 8" high and 46 " long, it will be used to store camping gear, spare parts, and other items. The storage drawer is 8 " shorter than the kitchen drawer so i can put a battery and the water pump.

Friday i picked the material anf today i got to work.

This wont be a step by step build thread cause it appears most of the pictures i took with my ipad shows sideways when i post them so i will just show you the progress with the picture that work.

I started with the two main cross members

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

I changed my mind about the second cross member and only went with one tubing, i added a set of legs instead and the water tank wil fit perfectly snug between it and the back of the box.

IMG_0333.jpg

I added a lot more structure to the front because i end up puting most of my weight on the edge as i climb in and then lay down where my weight is more spread across . Theres also the weight of the fridge that will sit on top on the right.

With a bit more thinking and measuring and cutting the front came together nicely and is very strong... no flex or bending when i sit on it.

IMG_0331.jpg

Everything is stiched together with a weld on each side temporarly until im done then it will be fully welded
At this point i have used two 20' lengh of tubing and the hole thing is very light and can be taken out wih one hand without struggle. I have 2 more 20' lengh of 1" x 1" x 3/16 " angles that will probably be used for the rest of the structural work out back above the tank and to make the slide system wich will be explained in a future post

After 4 hours or so of work including hourly breaks for some freesbee with my dog this is where i am

IMG_0337.jpg

This week i will be picking up the plywood and carpet... the tank and pump should arrive in a couple weeks along with the led lights and switch panel.

If anybody has questions or suggestions please feel free to comment

Thanks Gabriel

Rezarf <><

Explorer
I love it, are you using a spool gun on a MIG or are you TIG welding? I really want to make my drawers out of aluminum and some thin plywood but the lack of a TIG welder has me left with the option to buy a spool gun, but I am hesitant since I have never used one. I have been exploring the EZ Joints and tubes to make my system but your build gives me new interest in welding one up.

Anyhow, I love the concept and look forward to it coming together.

Spool gun only... if you adjust your heat and speed right and go fast enough it makes a nice strong weld without melting through. Its just like regular mig. I only have stiched on either side of each peace and i put 400lbs on it this week... no problem. Will finish the weld this weekend.

Got a bit busy at work, the project slowed down a bit. Still waiting on stuff I ordered on amazon but a few things showed up. Last week I cut the plywood and started passenger side drawer.

IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

Thursday the 21 gallon water tank arrived. Today i finished welding the aluminum frame, cleaned it, gave the bed a good wash and test fitted the water tank. Perfect fit :) now i can put the shell back on and start wiring and plumbing.

IMG_0451.jpg
IMG_0452.jpg

I also made an aluminum plate to hold the electrical wich will be fixed to the bed rail.

IMG_0454.jpg

Monday the carpet should arrive. Still have to order solar system and get a battery. Also need to make the kitchen drawer.

Switch

Observer
So like the title says i finally got spare time to start my sleeping platform. After months if not years of looking around on expedition portal i came up with a design that i thought was worth putting money and time into. I wanna say thanks to everyone who shared there ideas and thats why im doing the same here. Sorry in advance if i sound like a robot or if i wright like a 4 year old but im French haha.

My sleeping platform will be built in the box off my toyota tacoma access cab with a leer shell, the shell is same height as the tacoma roof so head room is very limited. I wanted the sleeping platform to stay as low as possible. With such small space every square inch counts, using 2x4 lumber was out, takes too much space for the structural strenght. Then theres plywood... 3/4 " is the most common but it still takes a lot of space in the end, is a bit heavy and i just dont like using screws everywhere.

Being a welder/fabricator, using 1"x1" x 1/8" aluminum tube for the platform stucture was the obvious choice to me. Its light, strong ´ish' and doesnt take a lot of space. There will be 2 drawers, one will be a 14" wide 8" high and 54" long and will house the kitchen with two burner stove and a sink. A 21 gallon water tank will sit at the end of the box under the platform, the tank is 39"x 16" x 8" so it was ment to be there. The second drawer will be 25 1/2" wide 8" high and 46 " long, it will be used to store camping gear, spare parts, and other items. The storage drawer is 8 " shorter than the kitchen drawer so i can put a battery and the water pump.

Friday i picked the material anf today i got to work.

This wont be a step by step build thread cause it appears most of the pictures i took with my ipad shows sideways when i post them so i will just show you the progress with the picture that work.

I started with the two main cross members

View attachment 390884

View attachment 390886

I changed my mind about the second cross member and only went with one tubing, i added a set of legs instead and the water tank wil fit perfectly snug between it and the back of the box.

View attachment 390887

I added a lot more structure to the front because i end up puting most of my weight on the edge as i climb in and then lay down where my weight is more spread across . Theres also the weight of the fridge that will sit on top on the right.

With a bit more thinking and measuring and cutting the front came together nicely and is very strong... no flex or bending when i sit on it.

View attachment 390888

Everything is stiched together with a weld on each side temporarly until im done then it will be fully welded
At this point i have used two 20' lengh of tubing and the hole thing is very light and can be taken out wih one hand without struggle. I have 2 more 20' lengh of 1" x 1" x 3/16 " angles that will probably be used for the rest of the structural work out back above the tank and to make the slide system wich will be explained in a future post

After 4 hours or so of work including hourly breaks for some freesbee with my dog this is where i am

View attachment 390889

This week i will be picking up the plywood and carpet... the tank and pump should arrive in a couple weeks along with the led lights and switch panel.

If anybody has questions or suggestions please feel free to comment

Thanks Gabriel

I'd suggest a base plate where the aluminum tube rests on the composite truck bed. Over time the weight and abrasion might cause that area to fail. Either a plastic or aluminum based plate to distribute the weight may help.

Did a little bit today. Carpet on plywood, painted the drawer and installed the handle. Also put carpet inside the drawer and will make dividers tomorrow but i will wait to get all my gear before installing them.

IMG_0535.jpg
IMG_0537.jpg

Ashton

Very nice. I'm looking to go with some angle aluminum myself for a bed box/sleeper. Never have welded before, hoping to learn on the go and save me some money in the long run.

Very nice. I'm looking to go with some angle aluminum myself for a bed box/sleeper. Never have welded before, hoping to learn on the go and save me some money in the long run.

Aluminum is a bit tricky... if your spool welding you have to keep going or you'll melt thrue easy. Tig is much better.

Started working on the kitchen drawer. It will be kind of a chuck box, i can slide it out completely and put it alongside the tailgate or on a picnic table if i want. The drawer itself will have two drawers, one for pots and pans, the other for cups, plates, bowls etc. The sink is an undermount mini bar sink found on amazon, its 18" x 7" x 5 3/4" deep.

IMG_0538.jpgIMG_0539.jpgIMG_0540.jpg

Because the sink is undermount i can put a cover on it to maximize countertop space when the sink is not needed, i could also flip the cover and use it as a cutting board.

IMG_0544.jpg

Today ill build the two drawers, paint and stain the countertop.

tlin

Adventurer
Sub'd - REALLY like the chuckbox/drawer combo here. Suddenly I'm dwelling on this for my GX....looking forward to seeing the finished product - well done!

Superduty

Adventurer
What base welding machine are you using? What spool gun?

I am debating getting a spool gun as well. I know TIG is better, but don't really want to make that jump.

TIA

Sorry for late update... Been busy all summer between work, camping and truck races. Really enjoying my setup so far and still needs to be finished but i got a lot done.

Finished the sides and carpet
8c36ef2599e9b0885595bd06216b9d73.jpg

Installed switch panel and water tank inlet

508577e90a37c94b10c323a9d93e27d8.jpg

Hooked up the lights, i used a single strip of warm 12 volt led found on amazon.

57263053f970f9a8d0b2d9b16f196054.jpg

1016fa26a899dc44c46afe0aee96d931.jpg

Did all the plumbing and wiring, i now have 21 gallons of water at my disposal. Made a glass gauge to know the watertank level. The Sureflow pump works amazing, always have constant pressure and its very quiet.

5c56a485b7dd76aed423c77af4c0f2d4.jpg

f8309fd923dfb47bc61ac10b1a0c363b.jpg

031a0a86c09ced2e8494dd6e1303588b.jpg

94f86c50b00a93f0df11cb4cf01f0e9f.jpg

Envoyé de mon LG-H873 en utilisant Tapatalk

Last edited:
The kitchen drawer still needs to be finished, just gotta find the time. But so far its very practical. I stained the counter and put a 1/8th layer of epoxy on top to protect it. Built 2 13x13 " drawer with push to release slides.

dc1112063e318fd4ebdcbfd693576739.jpg

44751195799b464b11e873f37dd1dc5d.jpg

One drawer has a frying pan, two pots, two plates, two cups and some other stuff. I have to finish the second drawer it just needs the front plate to be done.
3928c5d7b427cb54d971b853ce2281cd.jpg

c550e4117bee85bba0c6abb785253670.jpg

63d7a4fc7aeabbf276f9c75dfed65a52.jpg

25b72bc0051cc981277ed9cbae6ce5b0.jpg

Envoyé de mon LG-H873 en utilisant Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles