bigger diesel tank in Vario 814DA?

olafboswijk

Observer
hey guys,

currently in Bolivia with our Vario 814 DA and wondering about replacing our diesel tank with a bigger one or adding another.
we only have 60L (why so small!) and with the whole of Chile and Argentina and specifically Patagonia still to go, now seems like
a good time to do it. and labor and materials are relatively cheap down here.

does anyone have any experience with this? where to put it? do's and don'ts? any help is appreciated!
thanks

Olaf
thismustbethepace.com

Ullie

Adventurer
We've made a bigger fuel tank ourselfs and placed it with new home made supports at the same place as the original. Now we take 225 litres of diesel along.

DSC_7487.JPG

part time nomad

Adventurer
Mercedes 814d trucks have a 125L tank as standard, thats what I fitted to mine, it goes in the same space, but I think I may make an even larger one.

Ullie

Adventurer
Our original tank was also only 75l. Thats why we replaced it by a 225 l tank we build ourselves. It's at the same place as the original, but withe new supports at a larger distance than original.

part time nomad

Adventurer
Sorry, I may have confused you, mine originally had the small steel tank, 60L but I replaced it with the 125L plastic tank from the 814d forward control type truck with a tilt cab using the brackets that came with the tank.
but bear in mind that mine was a crew cab.

Hey Part Time Nomad,

I don't suppose you have any pictures of your plastic 814d forward control fuel tank? I'm trying to do the same as Olaf for mine, but am having trouble sourcing one. Do you know if the chassis differs between the MWB van and the crew cab?

Thanks

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Not sure if it helps, but think the tank on our Vario 814d was ~100l, and was two (seemingly) identical tanks split driver and passenger side with an equalising pipe connected to the bottom of them.

Thanks! Waxoyling the underside is the next job. Been told a mix of 50% old engine oil and 50% Waxoyl is a good option, nice and lubricated. Can imagine it makes a mess though.

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Check out dinitrol....they have service centres all over the UK. I've just been quoted £595 + VAT for full treatment including inside sills and box sections....money well spent I'd say.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles