Camp Chef Mountaineer 2 burner stove

pwm

The typical HOME stovetop burner is +/- 7k btu.. on the high end they get to around 12k (rare).
Kinda reminds me of any number of any other hot button marketing metrics.. horse power for one. 500 HP does you no good if it's tied to a mediocre drive train.
The geometry of the stove as far as burner placement, cookware placement, and wind control counts for a lot. Put another way, a stove can cook better, boil faster, and use less fuel with lower btu burners if it's designed correctly.

I hear ya about all the other factors that go into making a stove top work well. So far, I think that the Mountaineer has a good combo of windscreen, big cook surface, and what appear to be pretty good quality burners.

I've had the chance to cook a couple more times on it since my last post and it seems like while the dials aren't linear, they are consistent (both over time and between the two dials).

We'll see how it holds up over time, and what affect being rattled around in the truck has as it ages. Maybe this will hold up and work well, maybe the right answer is to pony up the cash for the more expensive brands.

-bill

pwm

Just an update since I've had a chance to use the stove. I like it. It isn't the best looking, but it's sturdy, and the burners while not being linear to control, are consistent.

Gmanpaint

It seems the Mountaineer isn't sold by REI any longer, and CC site says it's not available any longer. I was hoping they fixed the bugs, listened to the consumers complaint's and fine tuned it by now. Guess they decided it wasn't worth it, and just scrapped it altogether.

I have found it for sale, on some obscure websites (long wait times), but since I never heard of them before, I just can't trust them enough.

Bummer as this seemed like it would have fit the bill for the occasional high Mountain use, and mounted permanently inside a kitchen slide box.

I guess Cook Partner is the only one left, that makes this style with protected knobs ??

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Looks like it's back. Perhaps improved? Note the reviews and the square valve holes:

https://www.campchef.com/camp-stoves/camp-chef-mountaineer-2-burner-aluminum-stove.html

Unless it comes in lower, it's actually MORE expensive than a Partner. Can somebody prime me to the super top secret "High Pressure" regulator mod for Partner stove to put out more heat? I have a Texsport 20k (each) stove and have become addicted to the power when needed. Only thing is the burners are very wide so hard to use on narrow pots.

Gmanpaint

Figures they came back!! Lol

I ended up going with the high elevation Stansport. Has two 25k burners, and a 15k middle burner. Tons and tons of power, with good burner controls for low flame control. The solid cook grid will hold any size pot and fits a variety of flat griddles with ease, as it is like 25" wide.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Figures they came back!! Lol

I ended up going with the high elevation Stansport. Has two 25k burners, and a 15k middle burner. Tons and tons of power, with good burner controls for low flame control. The solid cook grid will hold any size pot and fits a variety of flat griddles with ease, as it is like 25" wide.

Is THIS the one you have? Thanks for the heads up. I have the older two burner design of this and it's been great. Only complaint is it's hard to deep clean: you have to undo the metal tabs that hold the stainless plate under the burners. Also need to do the same to fix or replace the piezo wheel thing. I love the output, but the burners are too wide to use narrower items. I really like this 3 burner setup thought. Middle burner is narrow! Yay!

Gmanpaint

Is THIS the one you have? Thanks for the heads up. I have the older two burner design of this and it's been great. Only complaint is it's hard to deep clean: you have to undo the metal tabs that hold the stainless plate under the burners. Also need to do the same to fix or replace the piezo wheel thing. I love the output, but the burners are too wide to use narrower items. I really like this 3 burner setup thought. Middle burner is narrow! Yay!

I can't see an attachment if you included one, so I tried to upload a .jpg picture of it opened for you. It won't attach when I try. The stainless tray is held on with 4 screws. If you need to clean or work underneath, it should come off easily. Also, I need to correct my statement about the solid grill, as it is three individual grills, one for each burner. They say they changed the style to allow for smaller items on them.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
I can't see an attachment if you included one, so I tried to upload a .jpg picture of it opened for you. It won't attach when I try. The stainless tray is held on with 4 screws. If you need to clean or work underneath, it should come off easily. Also, I need to correct my statement about the solid grill, as it is three individual grills, one for each burner. They say they changed the style to allow for smaller items on them.

Sorry it's embedded in the word "LINK" (links are hard to see on this forum redesign). Here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075KQ1VV2?tag=viglink20599-20

Looks like there's a cool version that has a small griddle in between too.

Reactions: WVI

dcg141

Adventurer
The Mountaineer is a really good stove. Its lightweight but is a bigger stove than most portables. Very powerful and can handle bigger cook wear. I found a carbon steel griddle that fits it and I love cooking on it. I modified mine to fit in a Snow Peak IGT. Its also super easy to clean with its open design and flat surfaces. Glad to see Camp Chef redesigned it and brought it back!

slowtwitch

Adventurer
Wind screens look flimsy.. small. Are they able to flare out to accommodate larger cookware if need be? Doesn't look like it.

Ragman

If anyone is interested Backcountry has this stove on sale right now for $229. I have no idea if that is a good deal or not as I have never looked for one-but if it is and you are looking....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94