Camp Chef Mountaineer 2 burner stove

wbpolk

I am looking for a good stove to pack away in the expo trailer or put right in the back of the vehicle. I came across the Camp Chef version of the Partner stove, I was wondering if anyone had feedback on these. I know the Partner stoves are the way to go, but price!!! you get what you pay for..... but Camp Chef makes a good line of items, dont think this should be a issue. Let me know if you have had experience with them and how it was.
https://www.campchef.com/stoves/camp-chef-mountaineer-2-burner-aluminum-stove.html

ms40_1.jpg

Dan

tarditi

Explorer
While I don't have that model I do have several other Camp Chef products.
Is there a reason you wouldn't want something like an Everest model if it will remain unmounted?

wbpolk

While I don't have that model I do have several other Camp Chef products.
Is there a reason you wouldn't want something like an Everest model if it will remain unmounted?

I look at the Everest and other manufactures with comparable builds, and I just dont like the feel of them. This looks to be built better, would guess why the price is what is is over the Everest. I have a 11# fuel bottle and I dont like running adapters (source of leaks) if I dont need to.

I also don't have this model, but I have been using the Camp Chef Everest stove with an adapter for larger bottle everyday for the last 8 months. I'm living out of my truck and driving through Central America so the thing has seen heavy use, sand, dust, freezing temperatures, ocean air, and plenty of vibration. It still lights easily and has the best heat control of any camp stove I've ever used. The only issue I've had is that I recently cracked one of the plastic heat adjusting knobs. I admit this is probably my fault for never lubricating this assembly that should probably be greased if being used this much.

slowtwitch

Adventurer
The Partner equivalent is designed around large diameter cookware. It also has wind screen/grease guards that are large enough to function properly. I would let your needs decide.. folded dimensions, cookware dimensions, etc. The partner is a lifetime stove and isn't that much more imo. If money is a big concern any number of Colemans or knockoffs will work for dirt cheap. Electronic ignition is easy to retrofit. The Campchef site says '2 20,000 btu burners'. I wonder if that isn't a mistake, and they mean '2 10,000 btu burners (totaling 20k btu)'. I'm reminded of that saying about getting off at Chicago instead of going all the way to New York.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Another vote for the Everest, between hunting and fishing I use ours about 60 times a year including wet weather days on the boat at over 6,000 ft in elevation and remote hunting camp over 9,000 ft, it gets bounced around a lot and has never hesitated to start or maintain a flame.

wbpolk

Well I placed order for the mountaineer, I'll give a review once I get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcg141

Adventurer
I have a Weekender, which is kinda the cheaper steel version of the Mountaineer. I got it because that one comes with its own legs and Academy Sports had them on sale, like really on sale. I love mine, just watch out those 20,000 btu burners really put out some heat. Especially for some of the thinner camp cookwear. I keep a couple of these around to help. https://www.campchef.com/flame-tamer.html

OleMissCruiser

I am looking at picking up one of these as well. REI has them and I just got my dividend and 20% off one item coupon.

Anyone seen one of these in person? Its not a partner stove but is it comparable?

dcg141

Adventurer
I am looking at picking up one of these as well. REI has them and I just got my dividend and 20% off one item coupon.

Anyone seen one of these in person? Its not a partner stove but is it comparable?

If you cook in The Grove then anything less than a Partner would just be wrong.

stingray1300

Explorer
After looking at the Partner and Camp Chef, the decision for me was easy. Partner advertises 10,000 BTUs per burner. Camp Chef Mountaineer: 20,000 BTUs per burner (40,000 total). Not sure how much the Partner weighs, but the CC I 15#. Also, the CC has the propane connection in the front. May not be a big deal for others, but for my set up it is a big deal.
And, as mentioned, REI has a 20% off deal, free shipping. Plus, I got to use my paltry dividend, netting out at $161.
This is replacing my Coleman Exponent Rendezvous ( 2 - 15,000 BTU burners). Anyone interested? It is complete with all the original accessories (cutting board, storage compartments, griddle, etc.) LMK via PM.

Bruce

Observer
If someone can post up a review that would be great....Im curious about the simmering capabilities, as well as claimed 20k BTU output, and construction (the rivets look cheap on the windscreen)...if all is good, this could be a serious competitor to the PS stoves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles