ROF's BEACHES OF BAJA 17

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
thanks for the great pics and write up so far.....I love Baja beach camping and really need to spend more time down there.

Agree completely on the tent and roof tent comments, Baja is one of the reasons we have a sleep inside setup in my old Burb.

Keep the good stuff coming!

Very nice pictures and report, i hope to go there some day. If you dont mind me asking, what size awning do you have on your trailer?

Thanks
Gabriel

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Very nice pictures and report, i hope to go there some day. If you dont mind me asking, what size awning do you have on your trailer?

Thanks
Gabriel

The awning is a CVT 1.5 (5'). The add-a-room measures 5' x 7'.
0dd177e72508539fb4485f43270fb839.jpg

dar395

Adventurer
Great report! and I love the rain drop photo gon'a try some new magic of my own after see that one at the end. As always a great tag along.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Next to the last chapter.

I had heard good things about a neat spot near Jesus Maria on the Pacific side of the peninsula. Usually I avoid camping on the west coast of Baja as it can be cool and damp. But this spot is close to Hwy 1 and the weather was favorable so I decided to take the 10 mile side trip. On the way out I stopped at this little tienda to verify directions. There where several good ol' boys sitting around pouring down lots of cervesa. One agreed to lead me part way, but soon I realized he was quite drunk, weaving all over the road and driving only 10 mph. We came to a fork in the road where he stopped and gestured with lots of sweeps of his arms to keep staying right. I thanked him and gave the man a cold Pacifico. The road was mostly sandy two track but the afore mentioned storm had left plenty of muddy stretches. Upon arriving at the beach I saw a huge fish processing plant that stood empty and abandoned. I drove up a sandy two-track and eventually came to a big lighthouse. Like most nowadays it was fully automated with no keeper. I started to climb the spiral staircase inside but with many loose treads I decided not a good move and retreated. Moving on I came to a high overlook with two very remote beaches below. The first I decided was hike in only. The second one had wheel tracks to the beach but was steep, long and appeared soft. Several locals where hanging around their old Nissan Pathfinder and we haltingly discussed the possibility of driving down to this remote beach. Of course the real concern was driving back out. The climb was probably 30 degrees of soft sand, maybe 1000 ft long. I thought about it for awhile but decided this stuff is what I come to Baja for, so down I went. I could see that the far end of the beach would receive late afternoon sunshine, so I headed that way and promptly buried my rig in soft blow sand. Aired down and got out all four Maxtrax. Possibly overkill, but when your trying to back a trailer in soft sand it's best to take advantage of all aides. Recovery was brisk and I began to set up camp. During my self recovery a Cherokee with four locals drove in. It looked like mama and her three teenage boys. They played around in the 10' surf with total non-challance. I watched expecting one to get dragged out to sea in the undertow, but it soon became obvious they knew this bay. There was a fantastic sunset that evening. Adding to the drama was a natural arch close to the waters edge through which the colors of the setting sun were framed. When it got dark the Cherokee left the beach. They literally flew up the hill adding to my confidence of climbing out the next day. Of course they weren't loaded down or pulling a trailer.

In the morning I was still concerned about the long climb but rushed through breaking camp hoping to hit the hill while still damp from dew. I needn't have worried as my rig climbed the hill with no trouble. I did keep the speed up and found later I had really rearranged gear in the trailer. I do carry a Pul-pal and had that as a backup plan if I had bogged down.
a63f10b9bbe45aa71695bab0b3099e97.jpg
9ac51421f3cb7d6855215896096abaae.jpg
cccf10e10e6dbf619b9a44286218e47d.jpg
8a87ceff2f2fe7ca9274d9367bdb8c70.jpg
7b206b7ea249fd997e0997a91f908732.jpg
b09efac998b05afb0c7029cdb4f93d05.jpg
e2657f5ecd4adb13617c3868134d4d98.jpg
d225abc39f3a9a95a54d8266b837ee21.jpg

Last edited:

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Final chapter. I hope everyone enjoyed my report and hopefully it will inspire others to seek out the best of Baja.

Continuing north I started to take a remote side road that goes through Calamajue Wash. I had heard Hwy 5 was a muddy mess through Coco's Corners from the recent storm and thought this road would bypass most of the mud. I had driven this road just last year and remembered it as mostly sand, gravel and rock, but had forgotten about the many silt beds. They were now sticky mud, so I promptly turned around and headed for Coco's. Two days had passed since the storm and the road wasn't that bad now. Just north of CC I found a neat cul de sac in the big boulders that made wonderfully seclude camp site. The faint two track that led me in weaved through the boulders and was just wide enough to allow me entrance. A full sized pickup would not have been able to squeeze through.

Soon I'm back on the new pavement and making good time on this excellent stretch of road. I did a quick stop at the campground where I had met Bud in December. He and Pit-run were still there and had made a sweet deal with the owners. In return for him watching over things, the campground and the fishing fleet, he got a free site and plenty of free food. I would have been bored to death staying in one place for 3+ months, but he was happy. The road between Puertocitos and San Felipe is in dangerous condition with thousands of deep potholes and dozens of deep vados. These are dips in the road that if hit too fast could easily destroy a truck. Most are marked but you can't see how deep they are until your right on the edge. The bigger ones usually have some variation of "oh s••t dip" spray painted on the pavement. Some times abbreviated just "0 ship". The deep gouges in the pavement tell the story of those that were day dreaming.

I usually stop at Pete's Camp in San Felipe for my last night in Baja to celebrate with a steak and margaritas. I had gotten to camp early and had a few hours to kill. I walked out to take a look at a pickup that had gotten stuck over a year ago and had long since succumbed to the tides. Soon I hear a buzzing sound and this motorized glider lands right next to my camp. I discover he's giving short rides for a few dollars so I sign up. Usually I avoid flying but this was so cool, also a few beers bolstered my courage. It was quite exciting. A couple of minutes before touchdown he kills the engine and we glide down to the beach in utter silence.

Just before entering customs I stopped to exchange 2600 pesos for dollars. The street side parking spot was cramped but looked OK to me. Just after getting my money a policia (cop) pulls in behind me with lights flashing. I sat there to see what happens next. He did not get out of his cruiser so I decided he was not after me and drove away. I crossed back into the USA on Feb 22 at Mexicali East and it was a very brief inspection, the fastest I have ever experienced. I was worried that Trump's tightened border security might cause issues, but no problemo.

Finally back home in snowy Colorado on Feb 26. It was a bit hard to get used to temps around freezing after enjoying 75-85 for two months.

Some trip stats:

Round trip miles 4157
Dirt road miles 232*
Days round trip 66
Dollars spent $1450

* Dirt miles low because Mexico is rapidly paving their roads, I spent many days sitting in one spot and I don't like to get too far off the beaten path when running solo.
15bb382f31c57b937bdc90f99a326385.jpg
812dda39786e9ae7874071b899a4decf.jpg
fd1744f1c7476df0729dc1a6a85fb8c1.jpg
47b344bf74523c90ea041272c19fe688.jpg
cacee76fb552fcf4921e7c6e10a9d663.jpg
1ac6d99d5ae3b255c55611e2d754503e.jpg

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
The next camp was a favorite of mine that I first visited almost exactly 10 years earlier. It's called San Basilio, one of the most scenic spots on the Baja. Unfortunately it's gotten too well known and was sometimes crowded during the nineteen days I stayed there.
aed7e89bb71547c9ffae0b89d7810bc3.jpg

I was there for around 3 months 22 years ago. It wasn't busy then. We had the entire south side of beach (shown in the photo) to ourselves the whole time. We alternated between there and up the peninsula of Bahia Concepcion.

Loved that spot. The hill blocks the wind decently as well.

BTW you said wind was from the west. Really it's more from the north in spring.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I was there for around 3 months 22 years ago. It wasn't busy then. We had the entire south side of beach (shown in the photo) to ourselves the whole time. We alternated between there and up the peninsula of Bahia Concepcion.

Loved that spot. The hill blocks the wind decently as well.

BTW you said wind was from the west. Really it's more from the north in spring.

The bad storm described earlier actually came out of the south. Local wind direction varies a lot depending on the mountains and canyons that are usually close by behind most beaches.

My first trip to Baja was 1970. I honestly don't remember a lot from back then, it's been way too long. But one thing I recall quite well is how little San Ignacio has changed in those 47 years. Love that little town.

mccustomize

Explorer
Love seeing these Baja trip reports, my wife and I are planning to make Baja our first big adventure trip!

On this note "A full sized pickup would not have been able to squeeze through." Interestingly enough, mid-size vehicles have gotten quite large, I have a 2003 Silverado and the width difference between that and your Runner' is only 2.8 inches ;)

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Love seeing these Baja trip reports, my wife and I are planning to make Baja our first big adventure trip!

On this note "A full sized pickup would not have been able to squeeze through." Interestingly enough, mid-size vehicles have gotten quite large, I have a 2003 Silverado and the width difference between that and your Runner' is only 2.8 inches ;)

I assume your data came from factory specs which of course does not account for bigger tires, different offsets and possible wheel spacers. Bottom line is I did rub the rocks squeezing thru. I don't believe that Silverado could pass, even with a shoehorn.

FinsUp

Adventurer
Thanks for the trip report. My wife and I are talking about taking a trip to Baja next year over spring break. I love reading info about Baja.

mccustomize

Explorer
I assume your data came from factory specs which of course does not account for bigger tires, different offsets and possible wheel spacers. Bottom line is I did rub the rocks squeezing thru. I don't believe that Silverado could pass, even with a shoehorn.

widest point, mirror to mirror, I assumed you had not changed the factory mirrors. Anyway, loved the trip report!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles