ROF's BEACHES OF BAJA 17

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Thanks Ace! I haven't gotten to Mexico since June...and I'm using your reports to get ideas for next month's Baja wanderings!

-H-

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Thanks Ace! I haven't gotten to Mexico since June...and I'm using your reports to get ideas for next month's Baja wanderings!

-H-

Glad my report helped. Enjoy Baja for me as I'm not going this winter. Going every year made it seem too familiar. Think I'll be heading south every other year from now on.

Rufus T. Doofus

Thanks for the report. We're leaving for Baja in 10 days. 10k miles round trip from home in Maine to Cabo Pulmo.

BTW, I've read that the beaches of San Basilio are no longer open to beach camping. Apparently someone bought the land and closed the beaches to camping. There are apparently dedicated camping areas outside of the fence now. I'll find out for sure in a few weeks.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Thanks for the report. We're leaving for Baja in 10 days. 10k miles round trip from home in Maine to Cabo Pulmo.

BTW, I've read that the beaches of San Basilio are no longer open to beach camping. Apparently someone bought the land and closed the beaches to camping. There are apparently dedicated camping areas outside of the fence now. I'll find out for sure in a few weeks.

It’s true. You can put a tent on the beach. But no vehicles except to launch a boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tundraconvert

Finally finding time to write up my trip report. It will be posted by chapter and photos added st the end of each installment.

When I head down towards Baja there is no way to get there from my home in Western Colorado without crossing some high passes. In the winter this can be a problem, not just the unsafe travel, but getting salt all over everything. So I'm usually watching the weather pretty close to decide if I go the Flagstaff route or down through Vegas. Well I chose the later and hit a messy snow storm crossing over the Utah backbone. Got so bad everyone was getting off the interstate to hole up in motels. Luckily it warmed up the next day and some light rain removed most of the salt spray. The same storm had left some big puddles on Hwy 95 across the Mohave which helped clean the undercarriage. I met Tom B. near El Centro and did some last minute errands. We crossed the border at Mexicali East on December 27. Tom B. from Oregon was driving a 80 series Land Cruiser with RTT. I'm driving a 15 4Runner with custom off road trailer. The border inspection went smoothly, but we noted the northbound lane was backed up about a mile. Stopped at Pete's Camp for traditional fish tacos. Our first camp was south of Puertocitos where we met an interesting character who called himself Bud and introduced his dog Pit-run. He was running low on funds so he decided to spend all winter at that same location.

Next day we continued south through mess of constructing the new highway. Also made the obligatory stop at Coco's Corners to sign his log book. I believe that I'm in his books five times now. This day was a long one and we made it all the way to San Ignacio just at dusk, nearly breaking one of my rules to never be on Mexican roads at night. San Ignacio has always been my favorite town in Baja but it looked pretty rough this year. I learned later it was hit hard by a hurricane last fall. They also lost a lot of date palms in a fire.
680a32f50f2c0dc771bbb3415a760002.jpg

Coco's Corner? I think so.
Edit: I just read the entire report, was just looking at pic's the first go around. Looks like an amazing trip.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles