Current Death Valley off-road conditions

cwvandy

Adventurer
About to head down to DV for our annual trek south. We are interested in visiting Saline Valley hot springs again. We have come in from the north and south over a dozen times and the roads have ranged from clear and smooth to completely washed out, snow covered, muddy and nearly impassable. I have searched but yet to find a good resource for current conditions. Came from the north one year in a complete white-out with about 8 inches of new snow. Lo-vis and high pucker factor.
Anyone been over either Hunter Mountain from the south or from the north pass into Saline Valley in the past week or so? Or, conversely, does anyone know of a good website, blog, etc. with current information? Called the ranger station and they were very friendly but, to put it kindly, not helpful. Thanks in advance for info!

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
My bro and I will be driving our XTC truck campers again to Death Valley in a couple weeks. We too have been there dozens of times over the years. I went to the Death Valley Facebook https://www.facebook.com/DeathValle.../1333290100094974?comment_id=1333989706691680 and asked "What is the problem with lower Wildrose Cyn. to the Panamint Valley Rd.? Is it a big washout or just some rough road? We tried to take that road 2 years ago and it was closed. Has it been closed since then?"
The almost instant response was:

Death Valley Road Conditions
March 14 at 10:04am

"There was a large flood through that area a few years ago and the road is covered in debris most of its length."
So, I guess we'll take the lower road.
There is a lot more back road info on the Facebook page. Info about the Hunter Mt. Rd. also. Have you taken the rough jeep road from Warm Springs to the Eureka Dunes? That sucker is re-mote. How about the jeep road down from the Racetrack to the North Road past the Lippencott Lead mine? The chances of the lower portion washed out are high. Have the second jeep in line be ready with the winch. Traversing the waterfall in Goler Wash:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior