Our Box Truck RV Conversion

redman4556

Adventurer
Was that you on the side of the 210 yesterday? There was a white crew cab Chevy with a uhaul box ratchet strapped to it.

I have no idea on RV fixing places, I re-roofed my own camper after not finding someone cheap enough. There are a couple fab places near you that come to mind, SMP fabrication is in Sun Valley and has done enough movie cars on the side he could probably do something. TT Motorsports is in Simi and while this isn't his specialty I trust his work and takes odd jobs. Instagram would find them both. I also know of a mobile maintenance/welder/fabricator that built studio trailers for quite awhile that would bill hourly.

Ah shoot, I've been spotted o_O

I've googled and called just about every fab shop I can find in a 20 mile radius of me. All I've talked to including TT and SMP have been either backed up for months, don't have the space, or won't work with my budget. Right now the box is secured with braided steel cable and ratchet straps for more lateral stability. It's only sitting on a a few small points of my frame rails so I really do need to figure out something more permanent. I just don't want to spend the $700+ Minimum I've been quoted to rig a flatbed or do a proffessional subframe. I really appreciate the tips though as any help here is really needed. Glad to see there are fellow expedition portal members around!

redman4556

Adventurer
There is so much information available on the internet these days...with the inclination and mind set, anyone can do anything. If the roof skin is too thin and moves in the heat, after you cut the hole, frame it out on the inside, glueing the frame to the roof with something like Sikaflex. When you install the fan, use sikaflex under the joint, and screw through the aluminium into your frame. You can extend the frame with batons transversely across the roof to reduce roof flex more. No need to screw, just sikaflex on with some props underneath while it goes off. If I were local...I'd come and help. As I'm not. I'll pitch in where I can remotely![/QUOTE

MUCH appreciated. The framing idea certainly sounds like it will take care of the roof flex. I'm just trying to gauge my options as I really am frightened at cutting into the roof, framing, and sealing properly having never done this before.

java

Expedition Leader
There is so much information available on the internet these days...with the inclination and mind set, anyone can do anything. If the roof skin is too thin and moves in the heat, after you cut the hole, frame it out on the inside, glueing the frame to the roof with something like Sikaflex. When you install the fan, use sikaflex under the joint, and screw through the aluminium into your frame. You can extend the frame with batons transversely across the roof to reduce roof flex more. No need to screw, just sikaflex on with some props underneath while it goes off. If I were local...I'd come and help. As I'm not. I'll pitch in where I can remotely![/QUOTE

MUCH appreciated. The framing idea certainly sounds like it will take care of the roof flex. I'm just trying to gauge my options as I really am frightened at cutting into the roof, framing, and sealing properly having never done this before.
Let's get it safely mounted to the truck before we worry about fans.

Can you take some pictures of the underside of the box and the truck frames and how they are sitting together? We can come up with a good plan.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

redman4556

Adventurer
Let's get it safely mounted to the truck before we worry about fans.

Can you take some pictures of the underside of the box and the truck frames and how they are sitting together? We can come up with a good plan.

Agreed, it certainly is my priority. I've just been scattered trying to map out the many little projects this type of endeavor brings about. I'm on my way over to work on it a bit now. Will have some pictures of underside up ASAP.

java

Expedition Leader
So it's more off to one side on your truck right now?

redman4556

Adventurer
So it's more off to one side on your truck right now?

Correct. It's currently sitting 2-3" more towards the passenger side than it should be. The guy who sold me the box helped me load it with his flatbed tow truck and I haven't had any way to lift the box and center it properly. I'm kinda trying to find someone to help me with securing it more properly (probably a welded subframe of some sort or another) and figured I'd center it when I have the help from said person to lift it.

java

Expedition Leader
OK, so yes you need a subframe that will support it both driver/passenger and hold the overhang. How much vertial lift above the frame do you need to clear the tank and whatnot, is 2" enough?

redman4556

Adventurer
2" is perfect and that's where I have it raised up now. the boxs frame bars are 8 inches at many points and like 6" wide with bracket attatchment so it's proving hard to figure out how everything can be safely attached. I tried hand bending ubolts from threaded rod and inserting them half bent as there's very little clearance between the rails and box floor.

java

Expedition Leader
2" is perfect and that's where I have it raised up now. the boxs frame bars are 8 inches at many points and like 6" wide with bracket attatchment so it's proving hard to figure out how everything can be safely attached. I tried hand bending ubolts from threaded rod and inserting them half bent as there's very little clearance between the rails and box floor.
A spring mount, or solid mounting should work. So you need a 2" spacer / frame under the 8" channels the box is built on. 2" isn't a ton of room but a thick ish tune should support it, especially side to side since it's only a few inches.

redman4556

Adventurer
A spring mount, or solid mounting should work. So you need a 2" spacer / frame under the 8" channels the box is built on. 2" isn't a ton of room but a thick ish tune should support it, especially side to side since it's only a few inches.

Makes sense. Now to find a fab shop near me that can undertake building such a frame without waiting many weeks or even months to get it done. Couple weeks is fine, but the minimum I've heard so far was a few weeks for the shop to even have the space for me to bring it in.

java

Expedition Leader
Yeah everyone is busy.... You need big grid made. A day for a guy really, it shouldn't be too hard, you will need to figure out if it can be a flat plane and where the mounting points need to be. I think 3/16 2x2 will be pretty goo for the tube, how far exactly is the overhang from the end of the frame rails?

redman4556

Adventurer
Yeah everyone is busy.... You need big grid made. A day for a guy really, it shouldn't be too hard, you will need to figure out if it can be a flat plane and where the mounting points need to be. I think 3/16 2x2 will be pretty goo for the tube, how far exactly is the overhang from the end of the frame rails?

The boxs rails extend 2.5 ft past my trucks and the total length of the box overhangs about 3' 2" as there's roughly 8" of the box overhanging the boxs rails.

java

Expedition Leader
The boxs rails extend 2.5 ft past my trucks and the total length of the box overhangs about 3' 2" as there's roughly 8" of the box overhanging the boxs rails.
And the chassis rails on the box are 8" tall? C channel?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles