Our Box Truck RV Conversion

redman4556

Adventurer
Buy an Ambulance No carpentry needed!!!! already insulated. Already wired. For ideas go to ambulancerv.com. You can also get just the ambulance box. This is what I've done FWIW

I was looking into this as an option. I was not able to locate a single ambulance box tall enough for me and not requiring very significant work on the inside of the box to get an empty shell. Were you able to snag an empty shell ambulance box for cheap somewhere? I'm so lost lol.

redman4556

Adventurer
Well, I've stopped looking for ambulance boxes. Too much work/inhibition to get it to an empty shell. a 10x8x8 or smaller box is proving difficult to find within my budget. Does anyone know if a 10x8x8 box would need to be welded to my frame to keep it secure? The guy who's selling it says it was partially welded (in addition to bolted) to the old frame before coming off the original truck. Could I just bolt such a big box to the frame of my truck and expect it to be secure?

java

Expedition Leader
Im in the middle of a box truck conversion! Love it so far. Build thread is in my signature

33364513926_202234affc_b.jpg

redman4556

Adventurer
I paid $500 for my 10' uhaul box, that was 8 years ago. My problem with the small uhaul box is that it was only about 5'10" tall inside and was about 2-3" narrower that the truck body. I was thinking about doing another truck but decided to try a van. I was also looking at the 10' box like your pic, they are about 7' wide.

Was there a specific place you were looking for them? I'm only on craigslist and pickings are slim to none.

redman4556

Adventurer
Im in the middle of a box truck conversion! Love it so far. Build thread is in my signature

33364513926_202234affc_b.jpg

That is one seriously sweet rig! Tons of inspiration will be coming from your build and shared knowledge!

OK GUYS, so am I crazy here? I feel like i've been sucked into the twilight zone. Weeks of looking, but still not one thing under $1000. Im looking at the body above for 1000 or a 92 ford box truck with an 11'x7' box for 1500 (sell the truck after taking the box, still right around 1000).

Anyone know how to do this cheaper? Is there an enclosed box roughly 10x8x8 or slightly smaller, available through other means? I've even been looking at taking an enclosed utility trailer off its frame and putting it atop mine. Is this a viable option? Any other thoughts?

java

Expedition Leader
Thanks! Yeah I am happy to have found this truck!!

Have you looked at Uhauls? Those boxes, although heavy, are easy to mod. Those trucks seem to go cheap around me.

Where are you located?

redman4556

Adventurer
Thanks! Yeah I am happy to have found this truck!!

Have you looked at Uhauls? Those boxes, although heavy, are easy to mod. Those trucks seem to go cheap around me.

Where are you located?

I'm located in Los Angeles, California.
I've been looking at uhauls on Craigslist. But there are slim to no smaller ones available in my price range. I'm about to start looking in salvage and commercial body yards! Don't know where to look, but I'm praying I don't have to spend $1000-$1500 for a simple enclosed box. I've looked at some older boxes (off 1970's trucks). One was wayyy too beat up and rusted but another shows some potential, just have to take a look this weekend.

redman4556

Adventurer

UHAULER

Explorer
Was there a specific place you were looking for them? I'm only on craigslist and pickings are slim to none.

I was looking on craigslist and I think calling around Toyota specific wrecking yards/ commercial wrecking yards. I ended up getting mine at a Toyota wrecking yard in San Jose. The Toyota uhaul box is only about 5'10" tall inside and about 6' wide.

redman4556

Adventurer
Stupid question. Cant find anything on google. How are boxes normally mounted to the frame rails of a box truck? Is it just sitting on top of bare frame rails and held in place with bolts and ubolts? Is there a subframe on the bottom of the box that bolts to the frame of the truck?

UHAULER

Explorer
Stupid question. Cant find anything on google. How are boxes normally mounted to the frame rails of a box truck? Is it just sitting on top of bare frame rails and held in place with bolts and ubolts? Is there a subframe on the bottom of the box that bolts to the frame of the truck?

I believe the toyota box had its own frame rails that sat on top of the truck frame and held down with u-bolts.

redman4556

Adventurer
I was looking on craigslist and I think calling around Toyota specific wrecking yards/ commercial wrecking yards. I ended up getting mine at a Toyota wrecking yard in San Jose. The Toyota uhaul box is only about 5'10" tall inside and about 6' wide.

I'm going to start looking through wrecking yards. I've got a few here in the Pacoima area. I've found that there are so many different variations of box sizes even between the smaller uhaul boxes. I need at bare minimum 6'2" of interior height and width but I understand most of the toyota boxes are on the smaller side. The search continues onward! I think I've decided against the ford truck. He's firm at $1500 and even with less than 100k miles I don't think I can get at least $500 for the truck and liftgate without trying too hard.

dlh62c

Explorer

Ubolts and a oak strip is all it takes. Unless you need isolation from frame twist, ubolts will hold the box in place.

redman4556

Adventurer
The interior is:
78" wide
72" High (I don't think it would take much work to lower the floor)
The length of the main body is 8' 10" long
And the "nose" is 46"

i'm in Arroyo Grande, you are welcome up and check it out. PM me your email address if you are interested, and I'll send you my info.

Just a bit too small for my needs and I prefer a square as opposed to very rounded shape. But I really appreciate the measurements.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste