Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Our Box Truck RV Conversion

I would build it (probably save some money) but I got so frustrated with my woodworking skills and results on my prototype that I firmly believe someone like me would be easier off carefully outfitting a ready made box.

This is one of 2 boxes I've found. This is the only one i've found within 150 miles that doesn't need internal repairs. They are asking $1250 for it on CL and I've talked them down to $1000. $1000 is far beyond the absolute max I was hoping to spend on an empty shell, so the search continues. As much as I'd love to just go over there and grab it, I don't have cash to waste.

00H0H_4Xm5omLuYHI_600x450.jpg

Can anyone here please beat some sense into me before I break down and decide to try and fit an 10x8x8 box on the back of my 3500HD? Does anyone think that it might actually work out ok? It seems the weight is not much of an issue as it seems to only weigh 1500 lbs which is far below my payload capacity. It's the size and aerodynamics I'm most worried about. For example, excessive swaying in the wind or at highway speeds. My thought is that secured to a 6500 lb truck it wont go anywhere but it will probably still act as a sail in the wind. Not only are the smaller boxes MUCH harder to find, but it seems there's a premium to be paid for the convenient size as I've been negotiating like crazy and still can't get below $1000.

Quote Originally Posted by redman4556 View Post
    Can anyone here please beat some sense into me before I break down and decide to try and fit an 10x8x8 box on the back of my 3500HD? Does anyone think that it might actually work out ok? It seems the weight is not much of an issue as it seems to only weigh 1500 lbs which is far below my payload capacity. It's the size and aerodynamics I'm most worried about. For example, excessive swaying in the wind or at highway speeds. My thought is that secured to a 6500 lb truck it wont go anywhere but it will probably still act as a sail in the wind. Not only are the smaller boxes MUCH harder to find, but it seems there's a premium to be paid for the convenient size as I've been negotiating like crazy and still can't get below $1000.
    I paid $500 for my 10' uhaul box, that was 8 years ago. My problem with the small uhaul box is that it was only about 5'10" tall inside and was about 2-3" narrower that the truck body. I was thinking about doing another truck but decided to try a van. I was also looking at the 10' box like your pic, they are about 7' wide.
    98 E350 EB
    03 F150 supercrew
    2012 YZ250

Buy an Ambulance No carpentry needed!!!! already insulated. Already wired. For ideas go to ambulancerv.com. You can also get just the ambulance box. This is what I've done FWIW

Quote Originally Posted by UHAULER View Post
    I paid $500 for my 10' uhaul box, that was 8 years ago. My problem with the small uhaul box is that it was only about 5'10" tall inside and was about 2-3" narrower that the truck body. I was thinking about doing another truck but decided to try a van. I was also looking at the 10' box like your pic, they are about 7' wide.
    I wish I could find one for $500. I think the ones i'm looking at are even less than 7 feet wide. They're coming up as 10x6'4x6'2 as interior dimensions. I am 6 ft tall, 6'1" if I stretch out real tall

Is it really narrower than a truck body? I think my whole cab is like 6' or less across?
    I'm considering going with the bigger 10x8x8 for more room but am afraid it may be too big to be even relatively comfortable on my single rear wheel truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Coachgeo View Post
    Buy an Ambulance No carpentry needed!!!! already insulated. Already wired. For ideas go to ambulancerv.com. You can also get just the ambulance box. This is what I've done FWIW
    I was looking into this as an option. I was not able to locate a single ambulance box tall enough for me and not requiring very significant work on the inside of the box to get an empty shell. Were you able to snag an empty shell ambulance box for cheap somewhere? I'm so lost lol.

Well, I've stopped looking for ambulance boxes. Too much work/inhibition to get it to an empty shell. a 10x8x8 or smaller box is proving difficult to find within my budget. Does anyone know if a 10x8x8 box would need to be welded to my frame to keep it secure? The guy who's selling it says it was partially welded (in addition to bolted) to the old frame before coming off the original truck. Could I just bolt such a big box to the frame of my truck and expect it to be secure?

Im in the middle of a box truck conversion! Love it so far. Build thread is in my signature

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12