Our Box Truck RV Conversion

redman4556

Adventurer
Hey everyone, I could use some (a lot of) pointers on a new project. I've been toying with and researching the idea of putting a "box" from the back of a box truck, directly onto the frame rails of my Chevy 3500 crew cab pickup truck (no flatbed in between). I'm trying to do a box truck to RV conversion, but to retain my crew cab and beloved drive-train from my daily driver duramax. Follow along on my journey with me and please feel free to chime in with any help, suggestions, or constructive criticism!

As of posting this, I've taken off the truck bed and built/tested a small prototype box on the rear (8x6'8x6'8) which I built out of 2x4, 2x3 and plywood. Turns out I'm no carpenter. My girlfriend and I scrapped the prototype and opted to go with something pre-built as I'm much better at carpentry (among other things) in my head, than I am in real life.

I've found a 10x8x8 reefer box from the back of an old gm truck. The guy disassembles box trucks regularly and wants to charge me $550 for the box. Has anyone attempted similar conversions? Worked with box trucks? ANY input WELCOME!!! I don't even know the mounting design for the box. I'm going over tomorrow to take a look at the box and take a look underneath to see how I would mount it to my frame rails! :ylsmoke::ylsmoke::ylsmoke:

redman4556

Adventurer
FullSizeRender (1).jpg

****TY prototype I slapped together in a couple of days. Wasn't big or sturdy enough, but taught me that I'm no carpenter!

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
Have you weighed your truck yet? Know what the reefer box weighs? It would be good to know if you had truck payload left for anything else. ;)
Hold off on the reefer box and read, read, read! :ylsmoke:
(I'm cracking up)

redman4556

Adventurer
Have you weighed your truck yet? Know what the reefer box weighs? It would be good to know if you had truck payload left for anything else. ;)
Hold off on the reefer box and read, read, read! :ylsmoke:
(I'm cracking up)

You're absolutely right. We went to see the reefer box today and there's no way my little one ton could haul it comfortably. Even with my upgraded rear suspension the 10x8x8 reefer would leave very little room for additional payload, but most importantly would be a ***** and a half to drive. In an effort to go as small as possible, but still big enough for my interior needs; I've opted to go with the 10' uhaul style boxes. These measure 10x6'4x6'2, weigh much less, and imho are much more suited to such a project. I'll have to insulate, but that's a small price to pay for the weight and size reduction. Still think I'd be pushing it? I've been trying to do as much reading as I can. It's seeming tricky to find one, but they can be had for $500+ depending on condition and age.

redman4556

Adventurer
I am doing something similar but decided half way through to put 4wd on the uhaul, instead of the box on my F350. The bullet XV is incredible. Here is my thread.

Awesome thread and project. So enticing in fact that it's 3:37 AM here and I can't stop reading it!
Do you have any inputs on what to use in regards to spring mounts? I was planning on just bolting and ubolting the box directly to a subframe bolted to the frame, but the spring mount concept sounds much needed.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Awesome thread and project. So enticing in fact that it's 3:37 AM here and I can't stop reading it!
Do you have any inputs on what to use in regards to spring mounts? I was planning on just bolting and ubolting the box directly to a subframe bolted to the frame, but the spring mount concept sounds much needed.

I only have examples from other builders. I am thinking that a truck cab shock would be a better design. I am concerned about the truck slamming down on the subframe. The spring design looks good for articulation but I'm not sure it's good for washboard or bumpy terrain at moderate speeds. You can also find some good information in Uhauler's thread here: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/21709-Project-quot-UHAULER-quot?highlight=uhauler

Last edited:

redman4556

Adventurer
Look up JYdog on youtube. 83 videos start to finish.

Would it be terrible if I admitted to having watched all the videos in his channel from start to finish? I have been researching WAYYY more than needed.
We had to settle on facts that even a 10x8x8 box was going to be too heavy and big to be comfortable for my 3500HD. We are looking at 10x6'4x6'2 boxes now. Having a great deal of trouble finding one of these within budget. I could easily find a 10x8x8 for roughly $600. The lowest I've found the smaller ones for is $1000 and they're not even perfect. Sitting on craigslist and ebay endlessly looking. Also looking at enclosed trailers of the same size as I assume I could simply take the trailer box off of its frame and use it in the same way as the cargo boxes on the back of box trucks. Can't find anything inexpensive in that field either. Trying to haggle with a couple of trailer owners but it's not going very hot. My goal is to get a good solid box without the need for repairs to be done to it for $600 or less out the door.

redman4556

Adventurer
I would build it (probably save some money) but I got so frustrated with my woodworking skills and results on my prototype that I firmly believe someone like me would be easier off carefully outfitting a ready made box.

This is one of 2 boxes I've found. This is the only one i've found within 150 miles that doesn't need internal repairs. They are asking $1250 for it on CL and I've talked them down to $1000. $1000 is far beyond the absolute max I was hoping to spend on an empty shell, so the search continues. As much as I'd love to just go over there and grab it, I don't have cash to waste.

00H0H_4Xm5omLuYHI_600x450.jpg

redman4556

Adventurer
Can anyone here please beat some sense into me before I break down and decide to try and fit an 10x8x8 box on the back of my 3500HD? Does anyone think that it might actually work out ok? It seems the weight is not much of an issue as it seems to only weigh 1500 lbs which is far below my payload capacity. It's the size and aerodynamics I'm most worried about. For example, excessive swaying in the wind or at highway speeds. My thought is that secured to a 6500 lb truck it wont go anywhere but it will probably still act as a sail in the wind. Not only are the smaller boxes MUCH harder to find, but it seems there's a premium to be paid for the convenient size as I've been negotiating like crazy and still can't get below $1000.

UHAULER

Explorer
Can anyone here please beat some sense into me before I break down and decide to try and fit an 10x8x8 box on the back of my 3500HD? Does anyone think that it might actually work out ok? It seems the weight is not much of an issue as it seems to only weigh 1500 lbs which is far below my payload capacity. It's the size and aerodynamics I'm most worried about. For example, excessive swaying in the wind or at highway speeds. My thought is that secured to a 6500 lb truck it wont go anywhere but it will probably still act as a sail in the wind. Not only are the smaller boxes MUCH harder to find, but it seems there's a premium to be paid for the convenient size as I've been negotiating like crazy and still can't get below $1000.
I paid $500 for my 10' uhaul box, that was 8 years ago. My problem with the small uhaul box is that it was only about 5'10" tall inside and was about 2-3" narrower that the truck body. I was thinking about doing another truck but decided to try a van. I was also looking at the 10' box like your pic, they are about 7' wide.

Coachgeo

Explorer
Buy an Ambulance No carpentry needed!!!! already insulated. Already wired. For ideas go to ambulancerv.com. You can also get just the ambulance box. This is what I've done FWIW

redman4556

Adventurer
I paid $500 for my 10' uhaul box, that was 8 years ago. My problem with the small uhaul box is that it was only about 5'10" tall inside and was about 2-3" narrower that the truck body. I was thinking about doing another truck but decided to try a van. I was also looking at the 10' box like your pic, they are about 7' wide.

I wish I could find one for $500. I think the ones i'm looking at are even less than 7 feet wide. They're coming up as 10x6'4x6'2 as interior dimensions. I am 6 ft tall, 6'1" if I stretch out real tall ;)

Is it really narrower than a truck body? I think my whole cab is like 6' or less across?
I'm considering going with the bigger 10x8x8 for more room but am afraid it may be too big to be even relatively comfortable on my single rear wheel truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste