Could the new NA spec Ford Ranger be the perfect international truck?

Kiriesh

Adventurer
17-ford-ranger-843-photo-667941-s-original.jpg

Hey guys, sorry if this topic has already been touched on, I don't frequent this section since I'm a Toyota owner. I keep up with general truck market information and was personally pretty excited to hear that ford would be bringing back the Ranger to the NA market since I love Ford's general styling but the F150 is just too big for my needs. I've seen international spec Rangers from Northern Europe to South Africa and South America which got me thinking, if Ford really does keep majority of the design true to the international spec like they claim could it be a truly international truck for travel abroad? It seems like the biggest problem Americans have when trying to figure out what vehicle to take when driving to South America and beyond is that our offerings are primarily only available here (with few exceptions being things like the jeep wrangler) and sourcing parts if something breaks is difficult overseas. It seems like this truck could easily rise to popularity in overlanding circles if it has major aspects that are the same as the international model. Anyone have thoughts on this? I'm just spitballing and thought I'd see what the crowd thinks.

Paul B.

Adventurer
I've always been a Ford Ranger guy. The F150 is too big for my daily needs also. I drove 4x4 SporTracs to the Saline Valley for years. The 4x4, 4 wheel independent suspension was a little bit worrisome. But it never did break on me. And it really traveled nicely over washboard road. (Those "trucks" were based on the Explorer SUV platform.) I'm sure this platform does not have a four wheel independent suspension I'm still looking forward to seeing them again. Might even buy one. Though I'm not nearly as rich as I used to be.

02rangeredge

Adventurer
I've always been a Ford Ranger guy. The F150 is too big for my daily needs also. I drove 4x4 SporTracs to the Saline Valley for years. The 4x4, 4 wheel independent suspension was a little bit worrisome. But it never did break on me. And it really traveled nicely over washboard road. (Those "trucks" were based on the Explorer SUV platform.) I'm sure this platform does not have a four wheel independent suspension I'm still looking forward to seeing them again. Might even buy one. Though I'm not nearly as rich as I used to be.

what gen sportracs did you drive? the 1st gen had a solid rear axle if I recall, but I have zero experience with 2nd gens

Paul B.

Adventurer
I had an 04, which has a solid rear axle. Then I had an 09 which had the four wheel independent. They were both four-wheel drive. The second one rode off road in an unbelievably smooth way. Most hardcore four-wheel-drive guys will tell you...you do not want four wheel independent. They say it's too breakable. And while I do not disagree, we beat the crap out of that thing and it never broke. Took it to the Saline Valley over a dozen times. It performed beautifully.

Dalko43

Explorer
Looking forward to this truck coming to NA. Between the added competition in the mid-sized market and the optional diesel I think this truck will be a great platform, so long as Ford ensures its reliability. I know that the Ranger has been well reviewed in other countries.

Clutch

<---Pass
I had an 04, which has a solid rear axle. Then I had an 09 which had the four wheel independent. They were both four-wheel drive. The second one rode off road in an unbelievably smooth way. Most hardcore four-wheel-drive guys will tell you...you do not want four wheel independent. They say it's too breakable. And while I do not disagree, we beat the crap out of that thing and it never broke. Took it to the Saline Valley over a dozen times. It performed beautifully.

I have suggested IRS in the past, usually get flamed. My stepfather's Highlander rides much better down wash boards than my modded Tacoma.

Looked at the Ridgeline, but don't think they have enough clearance for me even with a 1.5" lift.

https://jsportdealer.com/#home

product01A.jpg

Toyota has played with the idea with one of their Sema trucks.

http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/threads/77529-independent?

dsc_0122.jpg

dsc_0136.jpg

And of course the old Baja race truck.

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
On my way in to work this morning I saw a nicely lifted Sport Trac and I got to wondering why that platform never caught on. I always thought it was a clever design but it seemed like Ford never really tried to push it as a viable alternative to the ubiquitous Tacoma.
I think one reason they never caught on was that they were made in very small numbers. Even long after it was apparent that there was a market for a 4 door mid-sized pickup, Ford never really upped their production numbers. I see the same problems with Nissan Frontiers, BTW. I'll bet Nissan could sell twice as many Frontiers as they do if only they would make them, but for some reason they don't.
Toyota didn't get to the top of the heap in compact trucks because they're better than the competition, they got there because most of the other players left the field.

Paul B.

Adventurer
On my way in to work this morning I saw a nicely lifted Sport Trac and I got to wondering why that platform never caught on. I always thought it was a clever design but it seemed like Ford never really tried to push it as a viable alternative to the ubiquitous Tacoma.
I think one reason they never caught on was that they were made in very small numbers. Even long after it was apparent that there was a market for a 4 door mid-sized pickup, Ford never really upped their production numbers. I see the same problems with Nissan Frontiers, BTW. I'll bet Nissan could sell twice as many Frontiers as they do if only they would make them, but for some reason they don't.
Toyota didn't get to the top of the heap in compact trucks because they're better than the competition, they got there because most of the other players left the field.

I think one place Ford went wrong was when they split the four-door small pick ups from the two-door small pick ups. They did away with the Ranger in 2011 and then they did away with the Sport Trac and the Explorer that shared the same platform in 2012, or thereabouts. They should've left the four-door truck on the Ranger platform. I don't think they wanted to rework the platform for the Ranger in a four-door version so they threw it onto the explorer platform. Or some design engineer somewhere thought it would be a good idea to upgrade the four-door pick up to an SUV platform. The problem is they lost all the hard-core truckers and off roaders when they put the sport Trac onto an SUV platform. Also the rear suspension was complicated to the point where you couldn't do any modifications on it. No way to lift it.

And yes, I think you're right that they just abandoned the field to Toyota, and just pushed the F150 down everybody's throat. I wouldn't buy an F150. It's too big. Won't fit in my garage. If I wanted to go that big I go to an F250 minimum, or an F350. Why have something that big that you can't put any weight on? Hell, a Raptor is really a nice off road vehicle, but I couldn't see loading it with a camper full of gear and heading out to the desert for a week. I think of it more like a Jeep.

I took a lot of crap from a lot of people said the Sport Trac wasn't a real four-wheel-drive. But like I said I beat the hell out of it and it held up. I pulled a little fiberglass camper trailer behind it down to Saline Valley over and over.

Last edited:

Paul B.

Adventurer

I think one place Ford went wrong was when they split the four-door small pick ups from the two-door small pick ups. They did away with the Ranger in 2011 and then they did away with the Sport Trac and the Explorer that shared the same platform in 2012, or thereabouts. They should've left the four-door truck on the Ranger platform. I don't think they wanted to rework the platform for the Ranger in a four-door version so they threw it onto the explorer platform. Or some design engineer somewhere thought it would be a good idea to upgrade the four-door pick up to an SUV platform. The problem is they lost all the hard-core truckers and off roaders when they put the sport Trac onto an SUV platform. Also the rear suspension was complicated to the point where you couldn't do any modifications on it. No way to lift it.

And yes, I think you're right that they just abandoned the field to Toyota, and just pushed the F150 down everybody's throat. I wouldn't buy an F150. It's too big. Won't fit in my garage. If I wanted to go that big I go to an F250 minimum, or an F350. Why something that big that you can't put any weight on?

I took a lot of crap from a lot of people said the Sport Trac wasn't a real four-wheel-drive. But like I said I beat the hell out of it and it held up. I pulled a little fiberglass camper trailer behind it down to Saline Valley over and over.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Looking forward to this truck coming to NA. Between the added competition in the mid-sized market and the optional diesel I think this truck will be a great platform, so long as Ford ensures its reliability. I know that the Ranger has been well reviewed in other countries.

I've seen a few aussie reviews and they seem to rate the Ranger higher than the holden and hilux. Time will tell. I think they need to make base models with diesels like clutch is always harping on to keep price points lower.

smlobx

Wanderer
We were in Costa Rica a few months ago and got to ride in the Ranger with the Diesel engine.
I was very impressed with the ride and torque of the engine.
Most of our driving down there was on dirt roads fording small rivers up to about 18" deep with no problems.
If this truck came to the US I would buy one without hesitation...

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
It's got a bulbous chevy style dashboard. I'll bet leg room might be an issue. Didn't sit in one, but saw a ton of them in Mexico. They're hardly smaller than an F150. Mostly shaped to look smaller, they're much bigger than the old rangers. Kinda like a Nissan Titan. Looked pretty much like a Hilux copy to me. That might not be a bad thing.

By the time it makes it to the American market, the nice but spartan interior, will be long gone and it'll cost as much as an XLT packaged Superduty. If they bring the exact same Mexican model to the US, all the fatty boys will complain about no leather AC seats that give back rubs, or no $2000 camera systems.

Keep in mind that base models don't really cost much less than a cheap crappy leather. The insane prices on the upscale models subsidizes the base models a bit. When a shmuck buys a Platinum F350, he helped keep the cost of someones XLT Superduty down. (Just a little factory secret) Do you realyy think that the Camera package, with $20 chinese cameras, a $40 screen, and a bit of wiring really costs as much as what Ford charges for it? Those upscale options help hide the cost of the entire lineup. They know exactly how many upscale trucks they're going to make. That's one of the reasons that "on the lot trucks" cost less than special orders.

Then again, maybe Ford will surprise us and build the exact same Ranger that's overseas. They already have upscale F150's and Superduties, and they've done weird stuff like this before.

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
We were in Costa Rica a few months ago and got to ride in the Ranger with the Diesel engine.
I was very impressed with the ride and torque of the engine.
Most of our driving down there was on dirt roads fording small rivers up to about 18" deep with no problems.
If this truck came to the US I would buy one without hesitation...

Was it the 2.2 or 3.2 diesel?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94