leaking heater core

jhrodd

Adventurer
Has anyone replaced the heater core on an '06 Fuso? Mines leaking all over the cab floor, pulled the dash panels and it looks like a nightmare. Does any one have a copy of that section of the repair manual?

kerry

Expedition Leader
Sorry to hear about that. I have no idea but I did wonder about it when I installed a control valve in the hoses when I was attempting to resolve my poor AC problem. Take plenty of pictures when you do it so we can sympathize with your ordeal and learn.

selfy

Observer
it's quite an easy job actually, the heater unit comes apart in 3 sections just start from the outside and work your way in

jhrodd

Adventurer
They must use a different heater in Australia. The heater core is clearly visible after taking off the front of the dash and it just slides out the side of the heater box. But the aluminum tubes are held by a plastic bracket that is fastened to the bottom of the heater box so the whole box has to come out to access the bracket which also means evacuating and disconnecting the AC. The shifter also has to move over to tip the heater box out. I didn't think it was particularly easy. I'll post up some pics when I get the heater core back. I'm trying to get a core made with short hose fittings so it can be disconnected and removed from under the dash.

EAB

Observer
Speaking about heater cores, I am thinking about putting in a by-pass so that the coolant wouldn't go through it when I was running in the summer. I stopped at a Fuso shop in Arizona and they said they do it all the time and gave me the Napa parts list for the hoses and valves. They said not only does it keep the cab cooler but they said the truck runs cooler as well. I am not sure I believe the second part as it would seem that would cause the truck to run warmer as there is one less heat exchanger.

You might consider this if you are replacing it with a different unit and want to work it in to your plans....

Aussie Iron

Explorer
I am thinking about putting in a by-pass so that the coolant wouldn't go through it when I was running in the summer. I stopped at a Fuso shop in Arizona and they said they do it all the time and gave me the Napa parts list for the hoses and valves.

Could you post up the list that you have.

Thank You,
Dan.

EAB

Observer
Here you. I haven't ordered or intstalled them yet so I can not comment on the accuracy. I will probably get to it over the next month.
QTY Part Number Description
2 6601414 Cutoff valve
12 505-1210 Hose clamp
2 28110 Y fitting
1 10777 U shaped hose

kerry

Expedition Leader
I put a shut off valve on my heater lines. Made no difference. The real problem was the rubber flap hanging down in front of the condensor. Get it out of the way. I just tucked mine up under the bumper and presto a cool cab when driving down the highway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94