Mercedes Vario D814 vs D816 vs D818 engine spec differences

tooFATtoDRIVE

All,

I am a newbie here so I would like to say hello!

I have a quick question regarding different variant of Mercedes Vario: D814 vs D816 vs D818. How do the engine specs differ and where does to power difference come from?

I have spent a lot of time on the net trying to find answers to the above question but my search has been fruitless so far. I would be grateful, therefore, for help with finding out the actual differences.

Thanks,

jostein

Adventurer
Useful link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_Vario

As you can see, the 813, 814, 815, 816 and 818D all use the OM904 engine from 1996 and up.
The core engine is the same, but there are differenceses in Electronics, and also some differences in the diesel injection system as well as the turbo charger based on both model year and state of tune. (OM= Ottomotor / LA = Ladeluftkülher / Abgaslader)

Useful link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_Vario

As you can see, the 813, 814, 815, 816 and 818D all use the OM904 engine from 1996 and up.
The core engine is the same, but there are differenceses in Electronics, and also some differences in the diesel injection system as well as the turbo charger based on both model year and state of tune. (OM= Ottomotor / LA = Ladeluftkülher / Abgaslader)
OM stands for oelmotor.

Charlie

olafboswijk

Observer
don't the last two numbers also refer to the horsepower? 814 = 140 horsepower, 816 = 160 horsepower etc.

that's at least what Mercedes told me here in Chile where there a quite a few 818D driving around! which they apparently built here until 2015.
nearly exactly the same vehicles as in Europe, but much newer!

tooFATtoDRIVE

I asked this question initially to find out what are the mechanical engine/engine components differences that contribute to the power differences. This is also because I wanted to find out what was needed to make, for instance, the 814 engine making the 818 engine power output. Once this was known, I would imagine, getting at least 200bhp and equally higher/smoother torque delivery curve a relatively simple matter of software/ECU tuning.

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
With Merc trucks it's normally just turbo and tune, but it's possible that the injectors are different. I don't have the time now, but some generous soul with access to EPC can check whether there are any part number differences between the models on likely components such as unit injectors, turbos, intercoolers, etc.

tooFATtoDRIVE

I do not really have anyone with access to EPC hence asking on the forum.

With Merc trucks it's normally just turbo and tune, but it's possible that the injectors are different. I don't have the time now, but some generous soul with access to EPC can check whether there are any part number differences between the models on likely components such as unit injectors, turbos, intercoolers, etc.

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
I'm also not sure of all the differences, but I was told by the tuner that worked on mine that there were differences in the intercooler system and the turbo - so mine could not be pushed past about 170bhp

mirauh

Hello all, what is different between same truck double cabine chassis 6xx vz 8xx. Yes, one is for 6 tonnes and second for 7.5. But I mean weight of empty truck, or volume of axles. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles