Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: TTB van pics please!

Look forward to your progress. I just bought my first van and like the TTB setup, but for now I'm going to leave it 2wd for a while to see if I even like it after it is set up for camping. I have even thought of doing an IFS conversion just to be different.
    98 E350 EB
    03 F150 supercrew
    2012 YZ250

honestly a 2wd van will do 99% of the things I will be doing. This is just to see if I can :-) The van I'm working on now has a limited slip rear end in it, so, even better if I just left it alone, it would have done fine. This is just a tinker toy, I might just f it all up and put it back to 2wd, but I think it's going to be pretty cool and look like it was factory :-)

I hope you don't perceive this as being overly critical of your ride height ambitions. It's just a set of measurements that I ran up against in the 50 that may throw off your factory ride height ambitions without some really heavy mods to existing components. I will gladly be wrong on this.

Measure and compare the vertical distance between the center of the hub assembly and spring mount on the 2wd beam and compare that to the equivalent measure on the ttb. The two points are obviously not aligned one-above-the-other but you can extend an imaginary line for purpose of estimating the measurement. On the 50, there is about a 3 inch height difference where the ttb is taller because and axle has to fit within the beam and then the spring mount can be placed on the beam. This creates a sort of minimum lift in the 4wd conversion process equal to the height difference at this point.

You could make a custom ECM, which pushes the pivots upwards equal to this amount to preserve some component of geometry, but your ECM would also require a custom oil pan since that's right above the ECM.

With enough patience and thinking you'll be satisfied with your outcome, I just know how many times I've wished someone could have pointed out some little detail to me. And since you were looking for an explanation as to why the lift was required that didn't focus on pumpkin clearance, I figured I'd throw out this perspective.

Keep us posted!

Please keep adding pictures. I am very interested in your development. I may take your approach.

That will be what I encounter tomorrow, I completely understand your explanation and thank you for it, and no, I have not measured that distance between the pivot point and the hub centerline. My plan is to put it as tight as it will go without modifying the ECM, while that really isn't too ambitious either considering all that is going into a 4x4 conversion, it is also straying from one of my other main goals which is to make this critter so as many of the wear items as possible are stock van items to ease parts purchase. So, even though the ECM isn't a wear item, the oil pan gasket is as are the motor mounts, so, I won't be changing those. I'll deal with the ride height increase if i have to, but right now this is just my goal. When I had it mocked up and on jacks (picture a couple pages back) it really looks like it will tuck right up in there and be very close to stock height, but I won't know until I get it all tack/welded into place and then put a tire and some weight on it.

***edit***

I realized that I never uploaded a picture of the van itself, which would explain my obsession with keeping it as low as possible.... I have a very tall fiberglass top on this van, I think it adds 14 or 15 inches as it is, I plan on putting a big platform rack on the top of it as well, possibly aluminium, possibly steel frame with cedar planks.... anyhow, with the platform I'm likely to have 18 inches of height over a "normal" van as is. I will have to drive it out of my shop on flat tires if I put 6 inches of lift on this van haha.

14449833_1608342812793613_2488621386676713726_n.jpg
    Last edited by wyndsurfr; 03-21-2017 at 04:50 AM.

I totally welcome constructive criticism though, in no way do I have a full picture of this critter in my head yet and I know there are plenty of things I'm overlooking. At this point for instance I am pretty sure that I will have a custom exhaust and quite possibly a custom carrier bearing setup for the front driveshaft. The drivers side exhaust and catalytic converter are right where the driveshaft needs to be, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Now we're just hoping I can get that front differential tucked and as you said see where the hub comes out... One thing I did not do, which I now regret is I did not take measurements for ride height before I pulled everything off, hindsight 20/20 I guess.

4x4 components and modifications are a new realm for me and I'm definitely learning as I go :-) That said, I welcome all knowledge in the matter.

Raul, I will either add them to this thread or make another just for the swap when I get it all together. The only thing I know for sure is I'm going to make it sit as close to the ride height that it was previously as I can without getting too crazy. I wouldn't mind a 2 inch lift, I will live with 4 inches if this is what I have to live with, but my preference is for it to set just as it was previously. It's already such a tall van with the fiberglass top on it, that I don't want to add any more height than I have to.

taking a quick break today, and thought I would share the failures as well as the successes....... original radius arm plan scrapped, not for any other reason than I'm a dirtbag..... I got in a hurry and cut the opposite side of the radius arm horizontal surface where it bolts to the TTB top and bottom. It was having some interference issues on one part that needed trimmed off, wasn't going to cause much of an issue with strength, but....... I had the arm flipped the wrong way and drew my cut lines on the opposite (left/right) side of that surface......... so whoops, not worth buying another stock radius arm when I already have these aftermarket ones.... These are 13 and 3/8ths inches longer than the stock ones, so, no biggie, just move the mounting point back 13 and 3/8ths (ish) inches. I don't think it matters to get this super precise, just so long as they're both the same. I'll try to get this as close as I can though.... I'll post pics of the fail this evening.

poop...... two things in a row messed up, looks like I need to step away from it.... cross threaded the bolt on the lower mount for the drivers side radius arm, gonna have to find a tap big enough to clean those threads up or completely disassemble the ttb so I can put the bolt in from the top and straighten the threads from the other side..... Couldn't use the aftermarket radius arms anyhow, they put the radius arm bushings/bolts right into the transmission crossmember, so, back to the van's stuff, which means while I can use the wrongly cut radius arm for this mock-up, I have to buy another and cut it properly haha...... I could do some welding to the one I cut backwards, but, prefer to have a new one with stuff taken off than the old one with too much taken off, then something added back...... Today is one of those days I'll check back when I get back on it, started getting frustrated and angry and that's when it is time to just stop and do something else for a bit.

well, even though I promised to quit.... I didn't I made some progress today though. Fixed everything I f-ed up, back to using the van radius arms and got the drivers side temporarily mounted to cycle the suspension.... Looks like I might blow the deadline of driving it out of my shop on friday because of the fails all morning, but.... who knows, might drive it out on saturday :-) I still don't know how tight I can tuck it, but looks like it is possible to tuck it very tight, however, still being able to use the van springs and not going with shorter springs may blow that... I could very easily put the mounting pivot of the TTB about 2 inches lower than the stock 2wd mounting points were, and that may be the way I have to go... anyhow, more tomorrow.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast