WontonSoup's gen 2.5 build

WontonSoup

Hello everyone!

My search for a Montero came to an end last July when I snagged a gen 2.5 for $1900. It's a 2000 Endeavor model with 151k miles. I've done a decent amount of work since buying it, although none of it is documented unfortunately.

Work done/parts replaced so far:
  • Alternator
  • Fuel Filter
  • Spark plugs + wires
  • CV axles
  • Front brake pads and rotors
  • Upper and lower balljoints
  • Tie rods
  • Pitman arm
  • Idler arm
  • Sway bar links and bushings, front and rear
  • Shocks
  • Aisin manual hubs

To do list:
  • Valve cover gasket
  • Rear cam seals
  • Upper and lower control arm bushings (awaiting shipment from ADD)
  • New tires - 255/85r16
  • Rear pads and rotors
  • Montero sport front brakes (shoutouts to Toasty for the write up)

And of course, pictures of the rig

IMG_1259.jpgIMG_1263.jpgIMG_1269.jpg

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Do my eyes deceive me or is there really no paint peeling or oxidation that usually plagues that color? My favorite color BTW, back when we were looking every one I found in that color had paint issues.

coffeegoat

Adventurer
Looks really clean - I blame the lack of bad paint on living the good life up in Oregon, based on the flora/fauna I'm guessing it's in the western part of the state which also means no sun (to speak of) to bleach the paint.

Anyways, welcome to the forum.

WontonSoup

Do my eyes deceive me or is there really no paint peeling or oxidation that usually plagues that color? My favorite color BTW, back when we were looking every one I found in that color had paint issues.

There's definitely some oxidation near the rear as well as on the hood. My camera just does a good job at covering up the blemishes :)

Looks really clean - I blame the lack of bad paint on living the good life up in Oregon, based on the flora/fauna I'm guessing it's in the western part of the state which also means no sun (to speak of) to bleach the paint.

Anyways, welcome to the forum.

Thanks! And you guessed right, I'm in the Portland area. This monty spent most of its life up in Washington though.

bryAWD

Observer
Looks great! Welcome, and love the color of the Montero. Looks like mine! Pretty straight-forward on installing the manual hubs, eh? I'd like to swap mine as well.

WontonSoup

Looks great! Welcome, and love the color of the Montero. Looks like mine! Pretty straight-forward on installing the manual hubs, eh? I'd like to swap mine as well.

Thanks! I wasn't a huge fan of the color, but it really grew on me.

The hubs were super easy to install. Took about half an hour to do both. Don't forget to seal them up with some sort of rtv.

Last edited:

WontonSoup

Made a trip to pick n pull yesterday and snagged this brush guard for $35!
IMG_1285fixed.jpg

It came off a 94 LS so I was worried that it wouldn't fit, since my body is a bit wider up front. As you can see from the next picture, it fit just fine. I had to trim the upper corners off of my front skid plate though. I'm hoping we get a dry weekend here fairly soon so I can lay a fresh coat of paint on it
IMG_1299 fixed.jpg

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Congrats on the 2.5. Mine came with the same brush guard. Waang? I'm working on a HiLift Jack mount for it.

WontonSoup

Congrats on the 2.5. Mine came with the same brush guard. Waang? I'm working on a HiLift Jack mount for it.

My roommate and I came to the conclusion that it's either WAAG or Manik. There's no labels or markings to confirm this though.

I just saw your jack mount, that's really clever! I might have to steal that idea if I ever get a hilift :)

Imnosaint

Adventurer
My roommate and I came to the conclusion that it's either WAAG or Manik. There's no labels or markings to confirm this though.

I just saw your jack mount, that's really clever! I might have to steal that idea if I ever get a hilift :)

WAAG (not Waang) is stamped into the bumper cap on mine. Looking forward to watching your build.

PacS14

Adventurer
Congratulations on the ride, I wasn't fan of that color either, but has grown on me since I boughy 99 too. Keep us updated on the stuff you do to your Monty!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior