My Family's Overlanding Vlog Series - First Trip with our Turtleback Released

Jasonkoko

Observer
I enjoy your videos. They are great fun and I like your learning mindset. I guess four wheeling and camping has a new more dignified name (overland driving) that makes it more expedition feeling (which is great).

I'm from Colorado originally but live in Bluffton SC now. I need to get the kids outside more and the overlanding seems like a good idea. I was lucky and was a kid when the early SUVs came out in the 1970s. Great memories exploring the foothills around Denver.

Don't know much about the south in terms of best places to go. I use to go on epic back county long drives in the mountains and desert. Have you tried anything in the Francis Marion National Forest? On the coast of SC but not far from us.

Thanks for the kind words!

NC and SC are on my list to explore this upcoming fall! Growing up, we didn't spend much time exploring outside (I was a city slicker) which is why I'm doing this now! The kids like it sometimes... sometimes they don't! haha!

There's lots to do in the SE, we just spent a long weekend in the Talladega National Forest - my favorite place as of yet! Video coming soon!

20DYNAMITE07

Just along for the ride
Sorry if I'm being stupid here, but why shouldn't you fly a drone over a highway? I don't own a drone, but I do vlog and am considering a drone purchase soon. Just curious why this is such a bad idea for future knowledge. I guess if you loos control for some reason you may cause an accident?

Yeah... if the drone were to fail and lead to an accident, then you'd be liable. Also, not all drones have an automatic tracking feature, and some people have been known to "drone and drive" which is incredibly foolish. Other than that, I'm not sure what other risks there may be.

Utah200

Adventurer
Yeah... if the drone were to fail and lead to an accident, then you'd be liable. Also, not all drones have an automatic tracking feature, and some people have been known to "drone and drive" which is incredibly foolish. Other than that, I'm not sure what other risks there may be.

Per the FAA:

What are the safety guidelines for sUAS recreational users?

Follow community-based safety guidelines, as developed by organizations such as the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA).
Fly no higher than 400 feet and remain below any surrounding obstacles when possible.
Keep your sUAS in eyesight at all times, and use an observer to assist if needed.
Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations, and you must see and avoid other aircraft and obstacles at all times.
Do not intentionally fly over unprotected persons or moving vehicles, and remain at least 25 feet away from individuals and vulnerable property.
Contact the airport and control tower before flying within five miles of an airport or heliport. (Read about best practices here)
Do not fly in adverse weather conditions such as in high winds or reduced visibility.
Do not fly under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
Ensure the operating environment is safe and that the operator is competent and proficient in the operation of the sUAS.
Do not fly near or over sensitive infrastructure or property such as power stations, water treatment facilities, correctional facilities, heavily traveled roadways, government facilities, etc.
Check and follow all local laws and ordinances before flying over private property.
Do not conduct surveillance or photograph persons in areas where there is an expectation of privacy without the individual's permission (see AMA's privacy policy).

prerunner221

Adventurer
What's your name on instagram? I'm from the same area you are and I'm always looking for people to wheel with. I've been out with XVenture and a few other guys but it's always nice to meet new people.

Jasonko

What's your name on instagram? I'm from the same area you are and I'm always looking for people to wheel with. I've been out with XVenture and a few other guys but it's always nice to meet new people.

SwellRunner

I'm in Destin - but come to Clermont fairly regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Srpat

Observer
Can you recommend any drones for a 1st time flier that are under $500, come with an okay quality camera, and are easy to fly, hopefully with some of those autopilot features where they automatically return to you?

Jasonkoko

Observer
I have not used any systems other than drones from DJI - but in my opinion they seem to make a good product - the standard everyone else is trying to keep up with.

I would recommend shopping on ebay for perhaps a used Phantom 3 or something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles